Visa For Brazil

jamila

Registered
I scheduled an appointment to get my tourist visa for Brazil for in a couple of weeks. But as i was looking over the required documents, it says that i need my ticket in and out of Brazil and to show my hotel reservations. This is for the embassy located here in Buenos Aires... I haven't bought my plane tickets yet, and i was waiting to discuss with other tribe members about the housing... Does anyone know if these requirements are very strict? Should i change my appointment until I have EVERYTHING.. I am worried about how long the process will take.

You will absolutely need a round-trip ticket if you apply here in Buenos Aires. No doubt about it.

I got my visa for Brazil in Buenos Aires about a year ago. They did indeed look over the hotel and air reservations. I was flying into Sao Paulo and out of Rio, so they asked a few extra questions about that. They did look over bank statements rather quickly, and no questions about those. I was surprised that I needed to leave my passport with them (on a Thursday, I think) and come back the following Tues or Wed. I'd go with all the papers in order and allow yourself enough time.
Hotel reservations are often not paid in advance, so maybe you can make and print something out and modify if you need to.
Good luck!

Also I didn't see it on the website but i may have just overlooked it.. How much does the visa cost?

I was surprised that I needed to leave my passport with them (on a Thursday, I think) and come back the following Tues or Wed.

The same happened to me when I applied for a Visa to Paraguay. I too was very reluctant to hand it over, but I guess it's normal. Well, maybe not normal. *standard* let's say.

All of the documents are needed. The hotel reservations can easily be booked on many websites and cancelled, should that be necessary. Make sure you have some sort of accommodations lined up when you arrive. You should also be able to provide evidence that you have the cash to support yourself while you're there. Brazil takes this stuff pretty seriously.

The visa costs $833 pesos, according to this website: http://www.conbrasil.org.ar/CONSBRASIL/emolumentos.asp. You will pay this fee immediately after applying at Banco Itaú on Santa Fé.

As far as countries holding your passports for visa, this is completely normal. If you need a tourist visa prior to arrival at the airport, every country retains your passport at the consulate in which you applied in order to adjudicate the visa.

wonder why you usa folks need a visa when the likes of people from Tunis and Bulgaria don't?

There is a lot of speculation that Brazil will be added to the visa waiver program soon. If that does happen, it probably won't happen until 2014. In early 2012, the State Department hired a couple dozen visa adjudicators for a 2-year period.

The U.S. isn't the only country to require that Brazilians obtain a visa prior to travel. Australia and Canada (for example) have the same requirement.

Back