Visa overstay panic.

Jonahlomu

Registered
Hello all. Could really use a little help. I've looked through a lot of the threads for answers but not found the exact information I'm looking for. I was due to travel to Uruguay today to renew my visa but found out that I've overstayed by one day (due to being unable to count, seemingly) the ferry customs told me the fee would be $7000. If i go to immigration to pay will i also need to leave the country? I'm here with my girlfriend who is Argentine, and was hoping to stay until Jan when i have a flight booked to Panama from Cordoba (to return later in the year). Any speedy advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

1. 7000 sounds like a bit much, it looks like the following is what would apply to you:

1543939752423.png

2. Once you paid, you have 10 days to leave the country. Go to Retiro and pay, then go the next day.
Or, if you're flying in January anyways, just stay - it will cost you the same to leave the country today as it will in January. Unless you actually wanted to go to Uruguay.

1. 7000 sounds like a bit much, it looks like the following is what would apply to you:

View attachment 5387

2. Once you paid, you have 10 days to leave the country. Go to Retiro and pay, then go the next day.
Or, if you're flying in January anyways, just stay - it will cost you the same to leave the country today as it will in January. Unless you actually wanted to go to Uruguay.
Thank you for the speedy reply. I'm going to Panama for 2 months. Will this have any impact on my ability to reenter Argentina afterwards?

Thank you for the speedy reply. I'm going to Panama for 2 months. Will this have any impact on my ability to reenter Argentina afterwards?
And is it only payable in retiro? I will be in Cordoba and flying from Cordoba

Sounds like the customs officer at the ferry was looking to improve his weekend parrilla with an easy $2.500 pesos!

Looks like works in any Migraciones office. Here is the one for Cordoba:

CORDOBA
ASIENTO
Ciudad de Córdoba (Córdoba)
Domicilio
Caseros N° 676
Teléfono / Fax
0351-4222740 / 4264206 / 423-6879
Horario
lunes a viernes de 08:00 a 14:00 hs.
Correo Electrónico
[email protected]

I'd go a few days in advance to account for the inevitable bureaucracy.

Looks like works in any Migraciones office. Here is the one for Cordoba:

CORDOBA
ASIENTO
Ciudad de Córdoba (Córdoba)
Domicilio
Caseros N° 676
Teléfono / Fax
0351-4222740 / 4264206 / 423-6879
Horario
lunes a viernes de 08:00 a 14:00 hs.
Correo Electrónico
[email protected]

I'd go a few days in advance to account for the inevitable bureaucracy.
Thanks again. And i read someone talking about a grace period of 30 days after visa expiry in which you can still apply for a prorroga. Is that true?

And i read someone talking about a grace period of 30 days after visa expiry in which you can still apply for a prorroga. Is that true?

Not that I've heard of. (Which doesn't mean all that much.)

Thanks again. And i read someone talking about a grace period of 30 days after visa expiry in which you can still apply for a prorroga. Is that true?

PRÓRROGA:se puede efectuar en la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones, en el horario de 8 a 14 horas, edificio 4 sector prórrogas, o bien en las delegaciones y oficinas migratorias en el interior del país.

Los pedidos de prórroga de residencia, así como la petición de cambio de categoría o subcategoría migratoria, deberán efectuarse dentro de los SESENTA (60) días anteriores al vencimiento de la residencia temporaria y dentro de los DIEZ (10) días anteriores al vencimiento de la residencia transitoria.

El extranjero que se presentara en forma espontánea y voluntaria dentro de los TREINTA (30) días de vencidos los plazos previstos en el punto anterior, sufrirá un recargo del CINCUENTA POR CIENTO (50%) del monto de la tasa prevista para el trámite de prórroga de residencia o para el cambio de categoría o subcategoría migratoria.

Source: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexA.php?turistas

Hello all. Could really use a little help. I've looked through a lot of the threads for answers but not found the exact information I'm looking for. I was due to travel to Uruguay today to renew my visa but found out that I've overstayed by one day (due to being unable to count, seemingly) the ferry customs told me the fee would be $7000. If i go to immigration to pay will i also need to leave the country? I'm here with my girlfriend who is Argentine, and was hoping to stay until Jan when i have a flight booked to Panama from Cordoba (to return later in the year). Any speedy advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

I'm going to Panama for 2 months. Will this have any impact on my ability to reenter Argentina afterwards?

In the past (at least as far as I know/remember) one overstay hasn't resulted in any problem upon returning, even in less than three months. However, If you go to migraciones and get a prorroga withing the next 28 days, then leave the country and return while the prorroga is still valid, you will not get a new 90 day visa when you return to Argentina. Border agents cannot override a prorroga. On top of that you will not be able to go to migraciones and get a second prorroga.

Recently one member of this forum posted that he went to migraciones to get a prorroga (before his first 90 day visa expired) and asked about leaving and returning at some point in the near future. He indicated that the agent at migraciones told him to go to Uruguay to get a new 90 day visa and just before that visa expired he should/could return to migraciones and ask for a prorroga.

In response to this I asked a lawyer who specializes in citizenship if this was "official" policy now, but I didn't see a direct answer to this question. I do remember that he wrote :there are no rules" (and I believe it was in the same thread).

Regarding the "$7000" fee:

Sounds like the customs officer at the ferry was looking to improve his weekend parrilla with an easy $2.500 pesos!

While I appreciate the cynicism, I wonder how it would be possible for a customs officer to pocket $2500 pesos if someone paid $7500 instead of the amount of $4500 which is still published on the migraciones website (see Ben's post #2)...unless the payment at the port of entry is made directly to the officer in cash and there is no receipt which shows the amount paid...something that should not be possible.

It is possible however, that the fee was (very) recently increased and the new amount has not yet been posted on the migraciones website. The last time the monthly income requirement for the visa rentista was increase from $8.000 peso to $30.000 pesos the change did not appear immediately on the migraciones website. One expat discovered the change only after going to renew his/her visa rentista at the then still published amount of $8.000 pesos.

Back