Visa Question - Proof Of Return Ticket Required? Help!

Honestly this happened to me five years go with United Airlines. Some one does an administrative audit, then comes down hard on the gate personnel who suddenly start enforcing something that is on the books but not real. I bought a boat trip to colonia to show as proof of leaving Argentina, after they tried to deny me checking in for my flight. I will never forget that day, standing in shock surrounded by my suitcases, being told I needed proof of leaving Argentina.....the check in agent said "it usually wasn't an issue"..." but something had happened recently (then) and they were (suddenly) having to enforce that rule"....
Beware of airlines saying that airfares are "refundable". I bought a refundable fare from LAN eight months ago,followed the rules to request the refund obsessedly, and then they didn't refund the money. I took it to their customer service (complaints) dept. who 90 DAYS later refunded me HALF of what they owed me. At that point I was just happy to get some money back and gave up on trying for the rest. The fact that I had abundant proof of everything didn't matter. So only give the airlines what you're willing to lose...and I never use LAN anymore if there is any other option.
The bottom line: you probably have nothing to worry about, BUT it did happen to me so if you want to avoid worrying, get some type of exit ticket, preferably cheap! And happy trails!

Hi everyone! My name is Ophelia and I'm moving to Buenos Aires in September this year. In a weird impulsive move (it's a long story) I only bought a one-way ticket...

I left USA in December for Argentina and also bought a one-way ticket. Never had a problem. Never had anyone question me or try to stop me.

On a side note, I can't believe how many on this board really admit to being taken in by such an obvious scam. Oh well.

Jerry Nelson
JourneyAmerica.org

Lost in Buenos Aires. When you drive for 3 hours, turn in your rental car, show up in time for the flight and the airline won't allow you to board unless you buy a return ticket, and you aren't familiar with this, you're kind of hard pressed. And even if you ARE familiar and are sure it is a scam, what do you do? I saw this airline turn others away when they told them the return ticket would be $1200. They went to other airlines to find a cheaper return ticket. And the crazy way things are done here, you really don't know if something has changed. It certainly could. If they bought another non refundable return ticket from another airline, they were probably on the hook. I wasn't because I charged it to the credit card and then put it into dispute. You can always do that if pressured.

Lost in Buenos Aires. When you drive for 3 hours, turn in your rental car, show up in time for the flight and the airline won't allow you to board unless you buy a return ticket, and you aren't familiar with this, you're kind of hard pressed. And even if you ARE familiar and are sure it is a scam, what do you do? I saw this airline turn others away when they told them the return ticket would be $1200. They went to other airlines to find a cheaper return ticket. And the crazy way things are done here, you really don't know if something has changed. It certainly could. If they bought another non refundable return ticket from another airline, they were probably on the hook. I wasn't because I charged it to the credit card and then put it into dispute. You can always do that if pressured.

Let me guess, American, right?

"A return ticket is a standard requirement for tourists."

http://www.clond.mrecic.gov.ar/en/node/2433

Have entered Argentina about 34 times over the past 7 years traveling on a US Passport. Have been asked two times upon entering Argentina at EZE for verification of a return ticket: itinerary. There is a solvency requirement when entering a foreign country and a return ticket is part of that requirement. Rookies.

In most of the carribean countries, NOT the airlines but the immigration asks evidence of your return ticket!

I had a 6 month return ticket from Los Angeles...at the check in at LA airport, they refused to let me board as I didn't have a ticket leaving Argentina after 3 months. I went on my iPhone, booked a $100 one way ticket to Montevideo for 3 months later, showed it to the check in agent and was then allowed to board.
Immigration in Buenos Aires don't ask you anything...they're too busy playing on their blackberry

Back