Visa Question - Proof Of Return Ticket Required? Help!

og505

Registered
Hi everyone! My name is Ophelia and I'm moving to Buenos Aires in September this year. In a weird impulsive move (it's a long story) I only bought a one-way ticket. Like many others here, it seems, my plan is to stay for 6+ months-ish.

I just read somewhere that they might require me to provide proof of a return ticket before I enter the country, in addition to having a valid passport (I'm from Sweden, no pre-arranged visa required). This is a problem since I really don't know how long I'm going to stay, so the best I could do is buy a cheap ticket to, like, Chile or Uruguay after the 3-month tourist visa period. Do you think I'll get in with my one-way ticket? Or do I really need to have a ticket out of Argentina ready? Has anyone heard about problems with this? I'm in a panic at the moment just thinking about getting stopped at the airport and not getting to enter :/

Any help, experience, words of wisdom is appreciated, thank you! :)

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have proof of return flight. someone correct me if I'm wrong (because that's something i really need to know before I move there in August!)... but as far as I've read, you just have to purchase the 3 month online before you get there and then you can renew that by leaving the country for a day.

buy a cheap return ticket close to the price of the one way ticket. no stress!

sometimes a bad airlines officer might insist for a return ticket. It just depends on yr luck honestly.

Immigration in BA will never ask u for a return ticket

If you have to buy a ticket which you are not going to use, and if you have a little capital you can tie up temporarily, get a fully refundable ticket... then get a refund.

IMO if you have visa on Arrival and that'll be for 6 months they won't ask for proof of return ticket, but like Ceviche has pointed out... it depends upon immigration officer if he suspects you won't go back he might ask.

JUst to be safe----I would buy and have handy at check-in a paid one way ticket on Buequebus(sp?) to Colonia just in case you get a stickler of an airline agent who wants proof that you will be leaving the country.

Its not the entry in to Argentina that will likely be the problem (ie Argentina immigration) as even though they can check/refuse entry its highly unlikely. But, the airlines seem to be very paranoid with letting people fly that may be refused entry due to not having evidence of travel out etc.

When I came 2 years ago Qantas in Australia wouldnt let me check in/board the plane from Sydney without a ticket out. I would get a ferry ticket to Uruguay or a cheap refundable ticket just to be on the safe side and/or ring the airline and check their requirements.

I purchased a one way Buquebus ticket to Colonia, Uruguay just in case they asked me for proof but they never did. Maybe buy one just to be safe. It is cheap and easy to do online.

This is a scam the airlines are pulling. I had it happen to me a few years ago. I bought a cheap one-way ticket on a Colombia airline to Buenos Aires. I can't remember the name of the airline right now. I drove from Central Florida to the Miami airport only to have the airline insist I had to buy a return ticket, that Argentina would not let me enter if i had no return flight. I argued and they called the manager who even got on the phone and pretended to call Argentina who said no I would not be allowed to deboard in Argentina unless I could show a return ticket. They were also turning away other passengers. So they charged me $1200 for the return ticket, When I arrived in B.A. and attempted to show my return ticket the agent said, "I have no interest in that!" I put it into dispute with my credit card company (God bless credit cards!!!!!!) and with no problem got it removed. They didn't even respond to the credit card company--they knew it was fraud.

My son, fluent in Spanish, went to Imigraciones to ask about it and they just laughed and said yes, they know the airlines are claiming that but it is a scam. And just think about it. What if you want to fly into Uruguay, tour Uruguay, then Argentina, then Chile, then cross the Atacama Desert to Peru and fly home from there? It doesn't even make sense. It has been quite a long time now but I checked with LAN and with American and both said they do not do that.

Back