Visa Question - Proof Of Return Ticket Required? Help!

We just came through immigration here in AR for the first time this week. No one asked us about proof of return ticket. Or about anything really, although the Delta gate agent in Atlanta did check for proof of payment of the reciprocity fee. However, I will say that we spent a LOT of time worrying about the possibility of being denied entry onto the plane prior to our departure. This is mainly because of what we had read on blogs and websites about the 90-day issue. Also, the travel agent I was required to use by my employer refused to purchase a ticket of longer than 90 day duration because of the policy/requirement (whatever you want to call it). She was so difficult we purchased the remaining tickets for my family privately and then also purchased one-way tickets to Montevideo to show as proof of exit if asked. So, if it is a "scam" as some here have suggested, it is a systemic problem--going the whole way back to US travel agents. We weren't willing to risk it.

We just came through immigration here in AR for the first time this week. No one asked us about proof of return ticket. Or about anything really, although the Delta gate agent in Atlanta did check for proof of payment of the reciprocity fee. However, I will say that we spent a LOT of time worrying about the possibility of being denied entry onto the plane prior to our departure. This is mainly because of what we had read on blogs and websites about the 90-day issue. Also, the travel agent I was required to use by my employer refused to purchase a ticket of longer than 90 day duration because of the policy/requirement (whatever you want to call it). She was so difficult we purchased the remaining tickets for my family privately and then also purchased one-way tickets to Montevideo to show as proof of exit if asked. So, if it is a "scam" as some here have suggested, it is a systemic problem--going the whole way back to US travel agents. We weren't willing to risk it.

Yep it's a scam; compounded by ineptness and inefficiency on the part of the US travel agents. Additionally, the 'travel agent' that your employer 'required' you to use was worthless and may need some remedial lessons in understanding what the law really is as she's taking two different situations and "smushing" them up together to come up with a policy of her own.

This is a pet peeve I have regarding minor functionaries of all kinds who deal with the public in a service capacity.
Yep it's a scam; compounded by ineptness and inefficiency on the part of the US travel agents. Additionally, the 'travel agent' that your employer 'required' you to use was worthless and may need some remedial lessons in understanding what the law really is as she's taking two different situations and "smushing" them up together to come up with a policy of her own.

This is a pet peeve I have regarding minor functionaries of all kinds who deal with the public in a service capacity.

I agree with you. “Minor functionaries….” is also a pet peeve of mine.

A closely related pet peeve is the (generally American) public that allows the functionaries to get away with it, thereby perpetuating the problem.

Too many Americans have become complacent like the proverbial frog in the pot of water and are intimidated by anyone with even half a uniform on; I have found that usually all it takes is a smile along with some more probing questions to the functionary to get them (the functionary) to cave.

The other day I went with my (Argentine) wife as she renewed her visa so that we could travel to the US for a shoot I have coming up.

I went through security with her and we sat in the chairs to wait her turn. When she was called to the window to get photographed and fingerprinted, I remained in my seat.

The next window came open and the guard told me that I could go to that window. I informed her that I wasn’t there to get a visa, I was waiting on my wife.

A few moments later, the guard, who was standing ten feet away from me told me, “You’ll have to wait outside.”

“Why,” I asked.

“It’s our policy, you’ll have to wait outside.”

“I’m not waiting outside, that’s my wife and I’m waiting here. I’d like to talk to your supervisor.”

“What?”

“I’d like to talk to your supervisor.”

“You want to talk to my supervisor?”

“Yes, I want to talk to your supervisor.”

The supervisor never came to talk with me; the minor functionary glared at me the rest of the time I was in there. Ale (my wife) finished with the photos and fingerprinting, and we left.

So amigo, the ‘minor functionaries’ are just part of the problem. The other half of the equation are the people that blithely go along, afraid to rock the boat and ask questions.

irregardless of many of the negative attitudes posted within this thread , the fact is certain countries enforce the policy differently , and airlines could be subjected to substantial fines if a passenger does not have proof of onward travel plans , depending on where they are traveling. I would think it is better to be prepared for any circumstance (i.e. providing proof of onward travel.) , instead of just being a know it all with a bad attitude , and possibly having expensive travel plans interrupted.

Regarding Argentina specifically , it does NOT seem to be an issue.

irregardless of many of the negative attitudes posted within this thread , the fact is certain countries enforce the policy differently , and airlines could be subjected to substantial fines if a passenger does not have proof of onward travel plans , depending on where they are traveling. I would think it is better to be prepared for any circumstance (i.e. providing proof of onward travel.) , instead of just being a know it all with a bad attitude , and possibly having expensive travel plans interrupted.

Regarding Argentina specifically , it does NOT seem to be an issue.

Could you tell me what those 'certain countries' are? Thanks.

I wish , but as you noted in an earlier post , it is many time up to improperly informed ticket or gate agents working for various airlines. As they are many times under paid and feel as if they have some authority , whereas they are actually misinformed or just plain dumb.

Best to find out from someone who knows than depending on probably incorrect information.

...instead of just being a know it all with a bad attitude...

Just to let everyone know, my wife got her 10 year visa yesterday. My point was nOT in being a 'know it all', but rather expressing my frustration with people (mainly Americans) who will just roll over for "the system" instead of standing up and being heard. We do NOT need to be treated second class citizens in order to get things done.

Lost in BA this is some airlines policy. I spoke with the on ground supervisor on the day at Qantas and there was no was they were letting me board. They actually showed me there policy book which said under Argentina that entry could be refused without an onward ticket.

We all know there is no way in hell that Argentina is ever going to not give you a stamp for that but in some cases you dont have a choice given some airlines interna policies. Its not hard to check with this airlines before hand.

I do not agree with this policy and will never fly Qantas again unless i have to (and am glad my office was footing the bill for everything) but just for others keep it in mind as I understand its not only with Argentina they enforce this. Allegedly its to mitigate the risk you may be refused entry and thus they have to fly you back at their own costs. It sure is a shitty policy!

Just to add my experience to the mix. For the last three years I have come to BA in March and have left in December. I had no problem until this last February when the United Air line agent at the check-in counter insisted I needed a ticket showing I was leaving the country before my 3 month visa time was up. I was nice, smiled and explained etc. etc. but she would not let me board. The best I could do was to have her book me a flight to Montevideo so she could enter some sort of travel number or whatever in her computer.

If I hadn't done this I would have had to return home and flown another day. I don't know why this suddenly became an issue but I am sure it is probably the luck of the draw. The rule is there for sticklers to stand behind.

Back