Visa Renewal

NickBA

Registered
I went today to renew my 90-day tourist visa, planning to take the boat to Uruguay, but wasn't able to get a ticket because it was completely full. I'm able to go tomorrow, but today is the day my visa expires. Does anyone have experience trying to renew at 91/92 days? Is it possible that they'll be flexible and/or understanding and not charge me with an overstay?

If not and they're going to charge me the overstay fee, wouldn't it be the same to just stay here until I decide to leave the country for non-visa related reasons? My thought was that a day is better than a few months because it shows an effort to remain legal.

I'd love to hear some opinions or suggestions for someone who might have more experience with this than I do. Thanks!

Try a different company. If you were trying buquebus try colonia express. if you can't get either get a flight to montevideo. Whatever you do you don't want the hassle. Never wait for the 90th day. This is Argentina. There could be strikes, protests, the guy with the keys might call in sick (lol). You will pay a fine, maybe get flagged. Get out somehow and never let it happen again. BQB also has an airline. You're going to pay some money now, it's better if it's a different boat, a plane, a bus, a car rental. Tomorrow you'll pay a fine, it will take you a lot of time and you don't want that kind of attention. You can get cheap flights at Aeroparque if you can't find anything else.

In the eyes of the immigration people 1 day is the same as 2 years. I know a guy that was over by 3 years. He left, paid the fine, and came back - no problems.

So just overstay until you need to leave next. The concept of visa runs has been thoroughly discussed on this board and the consensus is that it is better to overstay and pay the fine than to do visa runs.

Thanks for the responses. Leaving through another company today isn't an option. At this point the concern is whether I try tomorrow and hope they don't charge me with an overstay, or accept the overstay (which would be my 2nd) and worry about it next time I leave the country. I'm planning on returning to the US in November but want am planning a trip that will take me out of, then back into, Argentina before then. Obviously it would have been best to resolve this a week ago, but here we are.

Back