Visa Requirements

I have been living in Argentina for almost 5 years, in two provinces. My recommendation is not to move until all of your procedures for residency or citizenship are complete. Different provinces have staff that behave differently.

Even with Banco Nacion de la Argentina, where I have had my account the entire time, moving to another province, required that I begin the process anew! Very frustrating.

I recommend getting an account with a bank like HSBC before you move to Argentina. The UK govt refuses to deposit my pension directly into my account here. The Argentine government (not a fan of people from the UK), insists that pensions be deposited directly from the UK govt into a bank in Argentina.

Re the comments about getting the visa before moving from the UK to Argentina.
I lived in NW1 and could never get any answer on the phone or by email or webposting from the Argentine Consulate in London. Even when I went to the Consulate, there was no one available to help me! Good luck!

webmistress said:
I have been living in Argentina for almost 5 years, in two provinces. My recommendation is not to move until all of your procedures for residency or citizenship are complete. Different provinces have staff that behave differently.

Even with Banco Nacion de la Argentina, where I have had my account the entire time, moving to another province, required that I begin the process anew! Very frustrating.

I recommend getting an account with a bank like HSBC before you move to Argentina. The UK govt refuses to deposit my pension directly into my account here. The Argentine government (not a fan of people from the UK), insists that pensions be deposited directly from the UK govt into a bank in Argentina.

Re the comments about getting the visa before moving from the UK to Argentina.
I lived in NW1 and could never get any answer on the phone or by email or webposting from the Argentine Consulate in London. Even when I went to the Consulate, there was no one available to help me! Good luck!
You have been misinformed. The requirement is only to have a bank account in Argentina into which the funds of your pension COULD be deposited (in other words it's a theoretical requirement). No direct deposit is actually required.

surfing said:
You have been misinformed. The requirement is only to have a bank account in Argentina into which the funds of your pension COULD be deposited (in other words it's a theoretical requirement). No direct deposit is actually required.

Are you sure? This may be true of citizens of other countries, but The Webmistress was very specific about transfers from a UK bank. She also advised not to move until all of your procedures for residency or citizenship are complete, but I believe that citizenship can only be applied for in Argentina. She also indicated the requirements for citizenship varried from province to province, but they can actually vary from one federal court to another within a province. Unless you have a professional like Dr Rubliar you may simply have to provide whatever the judge wants...or be able to argue your own case as well as Dr. Rubilar.

steveinbsas said:
Are you sure? This may be true of citizens of other coutnries, but The Webmistress was very specific about transfers from a UK bank. She also advised not to move until all of your procedures for residency or citizenship are complete, but I believe that citizenship can only be applied for in Argentina. She also indicated the requirements for citizenship varried from province to province, but they can actually vary from one federal court to another within a province. Unless you have a professional like Dr Rubliar you may simply have to provide whatever the judge wants...or be able to argue your own case as well as Dr. Rubilar.
I am referring to this part of her post:

"The UK govt refuses to deposit my pension directly into my account here. The Argentine government (not a fan of people from the UK), insists that pensions be deposited directly from the UK govt into a bank in Argentina."

That is simply not correct (when it comes to residency requirements) as the Argentine government realizes that this is not going to happen. No offense to the webmistress but she has ben unable to successfully get residency, a DNI or anything (much less citizenship) in five years. As such, I believe she has been misled and mis-informed numerous times.

For what it's worth, I recently inquired at Banco Macro. The individual I spoke with told me that my Social Security payments from the USA could be deposited directly into an account for a monthly charge of about six USD per month, but I didn't open an account with them...and won't as long as I have an account with Chuck and he rebates the ATM fees.

steveinbsas said:
For what it's worth, I recently inquired at Banco Macro. The individual I spoke with told me that my Social Security payments from the USA could be deposited directly into an account for a monthly charge of about six USD per month, but I didn't open an account with them...and won't as long as I have an account with Chuck and he rebates the ATM fees.
Yes I knew about that too as the U.S. Embassy had a flyer. I believe they are doing the transfers through their Miami office. I didn't open an account there either but it is definitely filed away for future reference.

GS_Dirtboy said:
That being said, the current time requirement for your police record is 90 days. That means that the record can't be more than 90 days old from when Immigration gets your paperwork. You'll need to time that pretty well. It's not something you can do way in advance of arriving.

The law may have changed in the last few months or it might be different for UK citizens, but when I got my work visa in late January, I was able to use an FBI background check that I had done in June 2011. I got the background check done and apostilled, then brought it with me to Argentina when I arrived in July. I did two renewals of my tourist visa (once in Chile, once in Uruguay) but never returned to the US. That is the key: at least for a US background check, it does not expire providing you have not returned to the US since you got it done.

From an email from Migraciones on January 24: "No tienen vencimiento, y son los requeridos para iniciar los trámites de residencia, salvo que regrese a su país entonces deberá tramitarlos de nuevo"

(They do not have an expiration, and they are required to begin the residency application process, unless you return to your country in which case you must get new ones.)

Even though pretty much everything I found on the internet said either 90 days or 180 days as the expiration for the background check, in practice I found that to not be true. I don't think it was me getting lucky or a particular Migraciones officer being nice; the officer consulted via email as well as two separate officers at Migraciones assured me that was the case -- and I had no problems with the process.

The Argentine background check DOES have an expiration date, which only makes sense, given you will be in the country and therefore theoretically able to commit more crimes in the meantime. Providing they are not on strike, you can get that done in as little as 6 hours, so don't worry about that step until you have all your other ducks in a row.

For translations, you do need to wait to get them translated in Argentina, as they must be done by a translator who is certified by the Colegio de Traductores Públicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires and then, once translated, certified by the Colegio (Corrientes 1834). They will do it for you while you wait for $80 per document, if I remember the price correctly.

You also need a Certificado de Domicilio, which you have done by your local Comisaria. You go to the Comisaria, pay them $10 and give them your address. They'll stop by your house, make sure you live there, and give you your Certificado.

When I did my work visa, I didn't need to use my US Birth Certificate. I don't know if that was a fluke or not. I got it apostilled, translated, and the translation certified just in case, though, which left me feeling a lot more comfortable.

For the photos, you DONT need the blue-background / head-at-an-angle old DNI-style photo (nobody does) but rather the new white-background / head-on photo. At the photography shop they will ask you what you need, and you can just tell them the photo for the new DNI.

Also, this depends on the job you get, but in some big companies, they set you up with a bank account so they can directly transfer your salary. I work at a large consulting firm and they pay for my bank account (Cuenta Sueldo, which is different from a normal account) so they can transfer money into it; I didn't have to do anything except for sign a document. If you do decide to set up an HSBC account before you leave and that is nicer for you, you can also have them direct deposit your paycheck to that account; there is no need to open a new account. As I said, though, that is true for the big firms who use bank payroll services and most likely won't be true in a smaller company.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me with any questions. I can't assure you that the rules haven't changed since I did it in January, but I can tell you my personal experience and hope that helps!

surfing said:
I am referring to this part of her post:

"The UK govt refuses to deposit my pension directly into my account here. The Argentine government (not a fan of people from the UK), insists that pensions be deposited directly from the UK govt into a bank in Argentina."

That is simply not correct (when it comes to residency requirements) as the Argentine government realizes that this is not going to happen. No offense to the webmistress but she has ben unable to successfully get residency, a DNI or anything (much less citizenship) in five years. As such, I believe she has been misled and mis-informed numerous times.
__________________________________________________________-
First point,,, the UK govt told me that they would do direct deposits into banks of many countries, but not Argentina. Again, just data.

My cases never reached federal court! No judgement could be made.
I mentioned that i have been the victim of fraud, extortion, theft, and deliberate deception many times... including lawyers, notaries, and even the courts! I had a complaint and lots of evidence against lawyers and notaries... the lawyer´s father is a judge... case dismissed.

The lawyer´s friend, my lawyer, case dismissed because they work together. Notaries.. even after a tribunal where I provided evidence of fraud and extortion... case halted with no punishment!

Same with threats to my life. I gave evidence to the police (extortion and theft and threats to my life)... file went missing when the bad guy´s lawyer was able to remove the original file from the Court! NO COPIES!

After threats from the escribanios for me to remove my complaint with the Colegio, they had their "friends" lose my entire file with immigration for six months!

I bought a property with the assurance that escribanios cannot lie. Well, not only did they lie about who owned the property (they did, but never transferred the escritura into their names...), they worked with another escribania who filed the escritura, and also created a file in her name for the tribunal with MOST of the private documents that I sent to the escribanias I was dealing with (sale and purchase).

¿No offense to me? I have no idea why you would write such a thing. A person, alone, is a victim in any setting. Even in your home country.

In the UK, I will never forget that my now deceased husband had to get damp-proofing for his basement flat (100 yrs old). He had the contract.
After his death, and the appearance of the damp, I contacted the company. It had shut down. I found the company that took over the contracts. They had a waiver signed by my husband, saying that he wanted his own plasterer, not that of the damp-proof company!
He was having the entire flat gutted, made sense to him, I guess.

Well. I had a new company come and they had different teams for different jobs. Ok. Good thing I was at home. The one team put in the holes for the treatment injections near the floor. The next day the plasters came to do the plastering.... NO DAMP PROOF INJECTIONS!
IN THE UK! problems do not only happen in Argentina.

I am not a fool, just a naive person who really wants to believe in the goodness and honesty of people.

IN this other province, the highly recommended escribania worked on behalf of the fraudulent vendors, rather than me! The colegio saw evidence of her deception, but found no problem.

This is life.

After I posted this:

steveinbsas said:
The Webmistress... also indicated the requirements for citizenship varried from province to province, but they can actually vary from one federal court to another within a province.

The webmistress posted this:

webmistress said:
My cases never reached federal court!

Your "cases" against those who have deceived or cheated you may never have reached the federal court, but I was only referring to the citizenship when I mentioned the federal court. The only place a foreigner can apply for Argentine citizenship is the federal court that has jurisdiciton over their present domicile. A lawyer is not necessary, but legal advice might be very helpful (if not essential) if the judge is enforcing obsolete law.

All I had to do was walk into the office of either of the federal courts in Bahia Blanca and ask for a list of the requsites. I returned several weeks later with everything they wanted (I had to wait until February as no "work" is done in January). The secretary filled out the application for me and told me to wait for them to call to have my fingerprints taken and publish a notice in the newspaper. I'm presently waiting for the call regarding the notice.

Argentine Citizenship for foreigners: Can it really be this easy?

I have an account with Chuck and he rebates the ATM fees.

I had read about that. It really does work? How are the ATM fees rebated?

Back