Visa Runs

The ba city government is introducing a one year digital nomad visa soon. Wait for that.

As far as I know, it has been proposed, but it is not yet a certainly. and I think it would have to apply to the entire country, not just the city of Buenos Aires.

When and if enacted, the six month version keeps you a nomad without paning local taxes while the one year version would make you a temporary resident subject to regulations that will significantly reduce your "net" income in dollars as you pesify them.

In reply to this:

Hi all. I'm waiting to hear whether the Digital Nomad Visa being discussed might actually come to fruition any time soon. I understand that would provide a visa for 1-year for remote workers here and would at least be free of tax as far as Argentina is concerned.

I recently posted this (in another thread):

The digital nomad visa may only be "free of tax as far as Argentina is concernecd" if you are in Argentina less than six months.

If I understand correctly, if you are here more than six months and if you have to pesify your foreign income at the official rate, you will end up with about half the gross income in pesos compared to sending yourself the funds by Western Union.

This was posted in this thread by Quilombo on November 27th:

Digital Nomad (less than 6 months)
- Exempt from domestic taxes (except IVA)
- Exempt from Bienes situados en el exterior
- Can in theory access the Savings Account for Tourists once available, and receive a better exchange rate
- Not required to pesify via the MULC
- Possible to use WU, even though current regulation stipulates it is for familiar support (rarely, if ever enforced, users here been doing it for years)
- Must earn income from foreign companies/persons (i.e. visa/passport stamp prohibits working for an Argentine employer)

Digital Nomad (more than 6 months)/Working Remotely for a Foreign Employer as a Citizen or Resident (Temporary or Permanent)
- Has a form of legal residency
- Must obtain a CUIT/CUL/CDI
- Must register with AFIP
- Must adhere to monotributista regime (provided annual income for 2021 is under $2.6 Million pesos at the official exchange rate)
- Must subscribe to an Obra Social
- Required to issue type E facturas to foreign clients
- Must pesify and repatriate (send to Argentina) funds within 5 days of receiving payment for goods/services rendered via the MULC (official exchange rate)
- Depending on province, pay Ingresos Brutos
- For Bienes situados en el exterior that exceed $3,000,000 ARS (not including a primary residency up to $18,000,000 ARS or bonds/Argentine/Provincial debt) you pay a graduated wealth tax with a floor of 0.70% up to a maximum of 2.25%
- If you repatriate at least 5% of the total assets valued abroad (i.e. $150,000 if you have $3 Million ARS worth of assets abroad) AND you keep these assets in Argentina until December 31st of the year, you can become exempt from paying the Bienes Personales

I agree for once with Bajo. The nomad vida will NEVER happen. At least as long as this government is in power at Federal level. However, I disagree with his very conservative interpretation of the visa runs. It is true that there is always some small chance that you raise suspicion and have some issues but doing a visa run one or two times has a very low chance of mishap. I also believe that the 30 days extensions are back. Good luck!

I agree for once with Bajo. The nomad vida will NEVER happen. At least as long as this government is in power at Federal level. However, I disagree with his very conservative interpretation of the visa runs. It is true that there is always some small chance that you raise suspicion and have some issues but doing a visa run one or two times has a very low chance of mishap. I also believe that the 30 days extensions are back. Good luck!
It is a loose / loose equation.
You are not in a better status than if you overstay but with the risk of a rejection.

It is a loose / loose equation.
You are not in a better status than if you overstay but with the risk of a rejection.
He/she won’t be rejected. If they leave at day 70 and then return worste case they get 20 days and they have enough tome to figure out what to do. I do not advise waiting till day 90 to leave. No ONE has been denied entry for doing one visa run. No one.

No ONE has been denied entry for doing one visa run. No one.
So, you believe that tourist visa is irrevocable, and everybody who is eligible to get a tourist visa at the border based on his country of origin will definitely get it?

Basically, every time you deal with the immigration you trigger reconsideration, and it is up to the immigration officer whether to let you in or not. You are betting that he is in a good mood which is not necessarily the case.

So, you believe that tourist visa is irrevocable, and everybody who is eligible to get a tourist visa at the border based on his country of origin will definitely get it?

Basically, every time you deal with the immigration you trigger reconsideration, and it is up to the immigration officer whether to let you in or not. You are betting that he is in a good mood which is not necessarily the case.
Everything in life is risky. You can be run over crossing the street or you can be in a plane crash yet we go out and we fly. As I said the likelihood that one is refused entry when they still have days left on a 90 day visa stamp is extremely unlikely and I have never heard of this for someone who has not done a visa run prior to that. Sure technically the border oficial could deny you entry BUT in reality there are consequences and their superiors will get involved and you can always request that your embassy gets involved. Again I am talking about someone who is doing their first visa run with days left on a 90 day stamp as a safety, not someone who has lived here for years and is pushing their luck. Visa runs are not a good idea beyond the first or second time.

... BUT in reality there are consequences and their superiors will get involved and you can always request that your embassy gets involved...
I don't know how it works after the ferry ride, but in Ezeiza if you are rejected you are getting back on the same plane. Nobody explains to you what is going on, they just ask you to wait and then somebody accompanies you to board the plane. There you can threaten them with consequences and request your embassy to get involved. Does your embassy have a fast response team?

Last edited:
He/she won’t be rejected. If they leave at day 70 and then return worste case they get 20 days and they have enough tome to figure out what to do. I do not advise waiting till day 90 to leave. No ONE has been denied entry for doing one visa run. No one.
Life is risk? If you need adrenaline I suggest rafting in Mendoza or hunting wild pigs with dogos and a knife.
1) There was people rejected doing visa runs. Some at this forum, some others I know from consultations, some other because I took the cases.
2) There is no profit doing visa runs.
3) A border rejection is a sovereign decision.
The “Embassy” has nothing to do.
4) do you asume responsibility if you fail?

Last edited:
I don't know how it works after the ferry ride, but in Ezeiza if you are rejected you are getting back on the same plane. Nobody explains you what is going on, they just ask you to wait and then somebody accompanies you to board the plane. There you can threaten them with consequences and request your embassy to get involved. Does your embassy have a fast response team?
A lawyer can threaten public agents with consequences, only, if that person applied for citizenship because they are deporting an argentine.
If you do it, you might stop your deportation because they might arrest and prosecute you before deportation after you full fit half of the sentence in jail.

A lawyer can threaten public agents with consequences, only, if that person applied for citizenship because they are deporting an argentine.
Well, not everybody considers becoming an Argentine citizen especially in such a dramatic way.

Back