Visa Stamp Enquiry (Help Needed)

Did you previously get an extension at immigration that ended today? That's my guess. And if you did, your leaving a day before and returning meant that they couldn't give you another 90 days since they cannot supercede the dates of the porroga granted by migraciones. EJ: You went to migraciones on March 9th and got a 90 day extension until June 9th. You then went to Uruguay on June 8th and returned, thinking you would get another 90 days. But since your prior porroga was still in effect until today, you couldn't be granted another 90 days until it expired.

Now if you had gone on the 9th (or whatever date it actually expired), then you would have gotten another 90 days.

Am I right?

Once you are married, you can immediately apply for permanent residency. Any irregularities re your prior status in the country would be moot at that point. It would serve you well to gather the documents you need in the meantime, as this generally takes a while. Here's a list of what you'll need:

- Original Birth certificate
- Criminal background check from your country of birth
- Both of the above must be apostilled, or if the country in question does not do that, legalized by the Argentine Consulate with jurisdiction in the relevant area
- Both of the above plus your passport must be translated into Spanish by a traductor publico, and legalized by the Colegio de traductores públicos de la ciudad de Buenos Aires.
- Argentine criminal background check (antecedentes penales)
- Phone bill showing your address, or a certificado de domicilio from the police
- Original marriage certificate (if it's from here - otherwise, needs to be apostilled/translated as above).
- Copias ad nauseam of EVERYTHING

Good luck!

Thank you for all your help.

Ive just found out from someone who is a friend of my girlfriend who works at immigration that they have indeed stopped allowing foreigners doing Visa runs via Colonia. I can however go to home affairs and apply for another extention (final one)

I just hope nobody else gets caught.

I'm not sure of any implications if you are trying to get married here in september, but if there are no issues there, there is no reason to get another extension if you don't plan on leaving the country before then.

Thank you for all your help.

Ive just found out from someone who is a friend of my girlfriend who works at immigration that they have indeed stopped allowing foreigners doing Visa runs via Colonia. I can however go to home affairs and apply for another extention (final one)

I just hope nobody else gets caught.

Kaleb - was I correct on saying you had gotten a porroga before at migraciones?

And before anyone gets frantic, I will say that when I was at migraciones a few weeks ago doing some tramites, the agent was helpfully telling a foreigner to simply get on the boat next door and go to Uruguay as the person already had gotten 1 extension at migraciones and so wasn't eligible for another one. So obviously that agent hadn't gotten the memo ;)

There is always a "friend of someone" who has heard they're suddenly going to deny entry to "perma-tourists" but after 7 years here, I have never found those stories to be true.

ETA And yes, of course one should get your residency status normalized as soon as possible and not take advantage of the vague laws here if possible.

Kaleb - was I correct on saying you had gotten a porroga before at migraciones?

And before anyone gets frantic, I will say that when I was at migraciones a few weeks ago doing some tramites, the agent was helpfully telling a foreigner to simply get on the boat next door and go to Uruguay as the person already had gotten 1 extension at migraciones and so wasn't eligible for another one. So obviously that agent hadn't gotten the memo ;)

There is always a "friend of someone" who has heard they're suddenly going to deny entry to "perma-tourists" but after 7 years here, I have never found those stories to be true.

ETA And yes, of course one should get your residency status normalized as soon as possible and not take advantage of the vague laws here if possible.

Citygirl, I love you :)

I take back everything bad I've ever said about you, and apologise for everything I've ever said to offend!

Yes I think he DID invert the dates and I think it's because the immigration agent must be DYSLEXIC

Inverting the dates seems unlikely as they normally don't do a 90 day calculation, that would take a lot of time/effort on their part, looking in my own passports the tourist visas for Argentina only ever says 90 dias or 3 meses either by hand or stamp and never a Hasta X.

Did you previously get an extension at immigration that ended today? That's my guess. And if you did, your leaving a day before and returning meant that they couldn't give you another 90 days since they cannot supercede the dates of the porroga granted by migraciones. EJ: You went to migraciones on March 9th and got a 90 day extension until June 9th. You then went to Uruguay on June 8th and returned, thinking you would get another 90 days. But since your prior porroga was still in effect until today, you couldn't be granted another 90 days until it expired.

Now if you had gone on the 9th (or whatever date it actually expired), then you would have gotten another 90 days.

If kaleb had an unexpired prorroga (extension) that is exactly what happened. This fact is not widely known, but it has been previously mentioned in the forum in the "Permatourism and EZE" thread:

Also, you can't go to Uruguay a few days before the prorroga from migraciones expires and get a new 90 day visa when you reenter the same day. You would have to go the day your visa expires and return after that date in order to get a new 90 day visa at the border. The agents at the border cannot override the prorroga (extension).

Back