visa temporaria / DNI

katti

Registered
I have been searching the forum but things are not quite clear to me :

We are close to receiving our temporary visa (only have to present ourself at the Argentina embassy in Belgium:)). Now we need to get a DNI, which is required for my kids to be able to enter school here.

Our lawyer, who arranged the visa, says we have to apply for DNI personally. How does that work? How long does that take? Can anyone advise us?

thanks

Getting a DNI on your own could take many months, perhaps a year. There have been a few posts in the forum about expedited services for the DNI (30 days, 90 days, and six months), but this entails paying a middle man" and though I doubt that it is legal it is probably the only way to get your DNI quickly.

You didn't indicate if you planned to enroll your children in public or private schools, but you may be able to enroll them in a private school with proof of residency, even though they do not yet have their DNI's. Public schools might require the DNI. There have been a number of unfavorable posts about the public schools here.

I hope others who have been in your situation will add to the thread.

Not to be a buzz kill, but you may not be as close as you think to residency visa. In our experience, presenting everything translates into a precario, not a visa, while they review everything. I am sure others can chime in.

soulskier said:
Not to be a buzz kill, but you may not be as close as you think to residency visa. In our experience, presenting everything translates into a precario, not a visa, while they review everything. I am sure others can chime in.

Great point. Does the Argentine embassy in Belgium actually issue visas? Aren't they just one step in the process? Even if you get a 'stamp' in your passport at the Argentine embassy in Belgium, I believe that you will need to make an appointment at migraciones after your arrival. You will then have to present all of your documents to them (including a sealed envelop that you may receive in Belgium and an Argentine police report that you can only get here).

Then (if everything is in order) you should be granted the residencia (a few weeks later). Then and only then can you apply for the DNI (though you may be able request a turno at the registro while migraciones is processing your visa applications...just to cut down on the waiting time).

Thanks you everyone for your help,

We already received the "permission" of Argentine "migraciones", so lets hope that is really what they said it is. They said that presenting ourselves in the Embassy in Belgium is just a "formality". Of course, in Argentina you never know! (I have learned that by now :cool:) We have been waiting and "working" on this 'permision' for 5 months.

My kids are already enrolled in a private school, as "free students" until december (to learn spanish), they start as "nationals" in march, then they will need the DNI, so we have some time. Today the school informed me that they have a person who can help to get us a DNI. She seems to be experienced and to have results. We keep our hopes high!

So let us hope that we will finally get where we want to be...:eek:

steveinbsas said:
Great point. The Argentine embassy in Belgium does not actually issue visas. They just are one step in the process. Even if you get a 'stamp' in your passport at the Argentine embassy in Belgium, I believe that you will need to make an appointment at migraciones after your arrival. You will then have to present all of your documents to them (including a sealed envelop that you may receive in Belgium and an Argentine police report that you can only get here).

It is the other way around : 1st we had to present everything in Argentina migraciones, and I can assure you : they needed a lot of documents, all translated, legalised, and apostulised. Migraciones accepted the documents, and had to "think" during 1 month if they would accept our request. They informed our lawyer that they accepted it and that we get our visum. Now we received envelopes (closed, and one per person) with which we have to go to the embassy in Belgium where they will put the stamp in our passports. I have no clue if they will just put the stamp in it right away or if they will need more time. I will be able to tell you that somewhere next week :confused:

Thanks for clearing that up. It wasn't clear form your early posts that you had already been through the wringer at migraciones here. They are apparently the final authority on issuing visas. If you follow Popper's thread regarding getting a turn at the registro you might learn more about the waiting times for the DNI.

Be sure to ask at the embassy if you need to go to migraciones again in BA or if you can go directly to the registro to apply for the DNI. Hopefully, they will give you the correct answer.

thnx, will keep you all posted on how it went (and goes), hopefully very smoothly, but I never count on that here in Argentina :eek:

Anyway, I didn't book our september ticket yet, I wait until we have the stamp in our passport. I already paid college from the 14th of sept on, so we should get here before that date... lets cross our fingers :D

We went to the embassy where they said everything is OK, the letters in closed envelopes had the official permission to give the temporary resident visa, all the embassy has to do now is do the administrative part : they took our fingerprints, put all our info in the computer, made us pay 100€ pp :)eek:) and next week we will get our passports back.

They said we can book our ticket now :) : with A LOT of patience we will finally get there!! Just in time for spring...

Back