Visa Wait Time For Spouse Of Us Citizen

dietzele

Registered
Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some feedback from any US citizens who are returning, or recently returned, to the USA with their Argentinean spouse. Or are in the process of getting the visa approved. How has the process been for you as far as time since you filed the I-130 and when you received the approval from USCIS, processing at NVC, embassy etc.?
I got married in March of this year fully planning to stay in Argentina, but things have since changed for my husband and I, and we decided we want to go to Florida where I am originally from. On June 20th USCIS received the I-130 and I received the confirmation letter in the mail that it was received and our priority date is also listed as June 20th, I have been carefully checking the file status online, but no news so far.
I am flying to Orlando on Nov. 2nd so I can get the ball rolling on things like job, house, car etc and my husband will stay here in Buenos Aires until his visa is approved and processed. We understand this can be a lengthy process and are prepared to be separated for some months (hopefully not too long!).
I would just like to know from those of you currently going through this what it has been like for you and your families.

Thanks! :)

My wife of 3 years and I are currently working on this, and it looks like you are ahead of us in line since we have a priority date in August. Nobody really seems to know what the average processing time is right now for this petition, and it depends on lots of variables like: where you are filing from (us or foreign address), what office is processing your petition.

It seems that the I-130 process is taking an average of 9-12 months right now, although they opened up a new division exclusively for 1-130 processing today, and that should get things moving back or below the "goal" of 6 months! There are also cases where they have been processed in 2-3 months, but those seem to be few and far between. I am headed home in March, and we are hoping my wife can be on the flight with me, but we wont know until we here from the USCIS! I am also thinking that the average time from Approval of I-130 to visa in hand at the embassy is around 2 months.

When I asked at the embassy, they told me to estimate at least a year but probably longer.

The wait time for my wife was 14 months. She was here in Argentina and was not permitted to fly to the US until the visa was approved. I was working in the US full-time in a new job - not opportune for taking a vacation. 14 months apart almost killed our marriage. Even combat deployment is shorter.

Thank god for Skype.

Good luck!

It is relieving to know that they are getting on par with local Migraciones...say no more.

I consulted directly with people at the embassy at one of those embassy nights at the Hard Rock Cafe (you should go to one of those and ask!), and they told me that about six months before I want to leave to go ahead and apply for the visa if we move. They told me a month or two ago that it takes 3 to 6 months, but my in my wife's case we have been married many years, and have two children who are U.S. citizens. I'm fairly certain our case is a straightforward one. That's what they told me, for what it's worth. If they told you that in the embassy, maybe they might have been exaggerating, but according to the posts here, it might be longer than six months. My friend recently did it about a year ago, and it got done in 3 months. Probably luck of the draw I guess.

Check out visajourney.com and check out wait times. The Embassy has nothing to do with anything other than the interview anymore. It took 3-6 months when they still processed them in the Embassy. They now, if you are lucky enough to have to do this, have two different offices processing the I 130 - one in Chicago (USCIS) and then it is sent to Vermont (NVC). I hadn't heard that the NVC opened another office to process the I-130? Hopefully it Is true and will really speed things along!!

Bout to go through this myself, getting married next week to an Argentine in Buenos Aires. I had been advised the process would take 6-12 months in all. But then tonight I read it's potentially only 4-6 months for US citizens who are living in Argentina (since you go through the Embassy and don't have to go through USCIS?) but maybe that was out-of-date information?

Back