Visa Wait Time For Spouse Of Us Citizen

Bout to go through this myself, getting married next week to an Argentine in Buenos Aires. I had been advised the process would take 6-12 months in all. But then tonight I read it's potentially only 4-6 months for US citizens who are living in Argentina (since you go through the Embassy and don't have to go through USCIS?) but maybe that was out-of-date information?
The Embassy does not process them anymore. They are sent directly to the US.

Bout to go through this myself, getting married next week to an Argentine in Buenos Aires. I had been advised the process would take 6-12 months in all. But then tonight I read it's potentially only 4-6 months for US citizens who are living in Argentina (since you go through the Embassy and don't have to go through USCIS?) but maybe that was out-of-date information?
We file through the Chicago Lockbox... and then once its approved, the foreign spouse has to send their documents to the NVC in the US.. The embassy is only for the interview, last step.

Supposedly it takes less time at the embassy (according to employees from the embassy), simply because the interview is at the embassy. Wait times are longer if you file from the U.S.

Y
Supposedly it takes less time at the embassy (according to employees from the embassy), simply because the interview is at the embassy. Wait times are longer if you file from the U.S.
You cannot file at the Embassy anymore. They do not accept them. The new process is to file with the USCIS Chicago lockbox like Dietzele had stated. After that, your application is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). They are not affected by the governmental shutdown.

After checking with our lawyer, we decided to get married here in the US and then process his immigration paperwork. We were told specifically that it takes an incredibly long time when dealing with immigration cases from Argentina. Neither of us wanted to be apart for a year or more.. We filed our paperwork on August 1st 2013, by September 15th we had his biometrics apt and on the 17th of this month, we have our interview. So, two-three months total..

If you can stay in the states (and want to keep living in the states), I would recommend getting married/staying/processing immigration. BUT, get a good lawyer because searching and searching on visa forums will just make your head spin.

I actually just went through this. My husband and I filed everything in the US after moving back (we were married in Argentina, and I lived there for 9 years). The whole process took less than 3 months, so it was really quick. I'd be happy to help answer any questions as I was quite nervous about doing it this way, but it all worked out very well and wasn't as complicated as I thought.

Thing is my husband never had a US tourism visa before and we got married in BsAs. I´m leaving now so I can get settled in Orlando with a job, etc and he´ll stay here and work until his visa gets approved. I´ve heard varying tales.. some in a matter of 3 months and others in about a year... All of our paperwork is in order, translated and apostilled.. I even had some blank checks from my bank in the US sent to me so we could send everything directly instead of having a family member have to add a check and then mail it on to USCIS. Its been a little over 3 months now since we sent off the I-130.. and by the time i travel it´ll be just over 4 months.. so hopefully we´re at the halfway mark and wont be separated too long.

I actually just went through this. My husband and I filed everything in the US after moving back (we were married in Argentina, and I lived there for 9 years). The whole process took less than 3 months, so it was really quick. I'd be happy to help answer any questions as I was quite nervous about doing it this way, but it all worked out very well and wasn't as complicated as I thought.
Was your husband in the US under a tourist visa when you filed the documents?

Yes, he entered on a tourist visa. We did what is called an adjustment of status when we arrived in the US. At one point it was frowned upon to do it this way, though now is very common and accepted, especially in coming from countries with such a long wait time.

Yes, he entered on a tourist visa. We did what is called an adjustment of status when we arrived in the US. At one point it was frowned upon to do it this way, though now is very common and accepted, especially in coming from countries with such a long wait time.
So your husband entered the US on a tourist visa and you guys got married in the US or just went forward and applied for his green card? I suppose basically during the wait he was not able to work? Any other restriction? Where you moving to the US with children, pets, furniture? Sounds like that is the way to go to me.

Back