Visiting BA in April. Have questions.

Since you can't use WU you might try Xoom. I've been using them for years, only works with US banks or US CC.
Xoom is a Paypal co. You get a better deal with a bank account. I use it every month to send myself my monthly $$$ to live on.
They have offices around the city where you can pick up the money in pesos.

Last edited:
Since you can't use WU you might try Xoom. I've been using them for years, only works with US banks or US CC.
Xoom is a Paypal co. You get a better deal with a bank account. I use it every month to send myself my monthly $$$ to live on.
They have offices around the city where you can pick up the money in pesos.
Yes, I have xoom and it works well...but is it as good a conversion rate as WU?

Rob, we get such inquiries all the time, about people moving here, and more and more often as time goes by. Check my reply to an inquiry from last July here, mine is the 5th post on the first page. Noting has changed much since then, though street crime has gotten a bit worse.

Given that you have already spent much time in Latin America, much of my rambling advice will already be familiar to you.
Yes, I read that before and appreciate the advice.

Sadly, Western Union has banned me for life, lol...they saw too many transactions while I was traveling to Central American and SA countries and concluded in their "wisdom" that I was doing something nefarious. I spent a year trying to prove to them I was legit. I sent them a dozen documents and they would let me for a while and then stopped altogether. So, I just need a cambio somewhere that is good in Palermo.
You could try Moneygram as well. I am not sure on their locations so you will have to do some of the legwork there. I know someone who uses Moneygram and is happy with it.

There are still Cuevas. This is a storefront operation that will exchange physical dollars for pesos at the blue. They are quasi legal, but exist. You need to ask someone right in the neighborhood you are staying in where the nearest one is. They dont advertise, or have signage- you ring the bell, they buzz you in. Also, many argentines will exchange dollars for you. The shoe store on the corner which we have known for 15 years will often do it. The desk people at hotels, or the airbnb owner, can usually either do it or refer you. People here save in physical dollars, and its usually easy to find someone who wants them. You dont have to go out on the street and talk to guys leaning against buildings. Ask argentines, pretty much everybody knows somebody.

....I'm staying in Palermo in a hotel for this scouting trip. Where is a good place to exchange dollars for pesos in Palermo?
See post by Neil on 6 Jan 2021:
I switched to them following Neil's post. Located in Palermo. It's a PagoFacil....walk in, as you enter, go to last window on the (R).
Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-5:00pm

If I were you, I would catch the subway in Plaza Italia and go to the far end in down town.
In Florida St go to Galeria Boston, there are two offices that will give you a fair price and no tricks.

Here is a list with all of the threads with the word "visiting" in the title:

Unfortunately, the first one on the list is mine and then the third one is March 0f 2020...things change my friend very fast...I understand that you may believe that these questions have all been answered before. You are right but not recently.
In addition, I am not just visiting...I'm moving here in August. That means, for me, it is very important information and not just a holiday.

Back