Vomiting every 2 weeks!

I actually get sick here much less than in the States, but I do almost all my OWN COOKING, and I am especially careful to avoid eating any meat product out from a restaurant or kiosco, unless it is a traditional parrilla. I cook from mostly whole fresh fruits and vegetables and meat with very little processing (i.e. whole cuts).

1. Sanitation is definitely sketchy in many restaurants, or at the very least not regulated like it is in the States, no matter how many stars a restaurant may have. I have had cockroaches in my fries which I just let slide by, etc, and I know too many Argentines who have gotten food poisioning from regular places in Microcentro. So just for my own health and for costs, I try to avoid eating out and when I do, I chose foods that si bien, might have a bug or two in the masa, eating them will probably not send me to the hospital, i.e. only meats I can verify are well done, vegetarian pizzas or cured meats, vegetables not known to carry e coli like bean sprouts, etc.

2. I avoid EVER eating things like carne molido or ground beef because I seem to get a little queasy every time I eat a empanada de carne. Have you ever washed some ground beef from the store and seen the gross gray water that comes from it? Processed food in the grocery store is sooo expensive anyway, is less healthy no matter what country you're in, and I don't trust it. The fresh whole food here is so inexpensive and delicious. So I only buy the occaisional canned good or tomate titurado and some spices from Knorr and Maggi.

3. I still boil my water...just in case. But in the States, I also used a filter, so this is not a knock on Argentina. In my old apartment I had to buy water because even after boiling it, I still got sick from it, probably from the metal from our pipes.

4. I am very careful about washing my hands after being on the public transit, just because of the large amounts of people on there, there is sure to be the common cold floating around somewhere!

5. Totally agree about los supermercados chinos. I have always heard never to buy lacteos there because they save money by breaking the refrigeration chain by turning off or down the coolers at night, and I chalked it up to superstition....until I bought two nasty curdled creams in a row at my nearby store. Never, never again.

I was sick as a dog both times I went to Bolivia from the food and miserable from the altitude, but I have felt great ever since I came to Argentina in 2008. (knock on wood) I am not super protective, only slightly more cautious with restaurants than I was in the States.

Emilyr, I have found milk to be off too, so buy larga vida. There is no chain supermarket near me and have had probs with deliveries so have to stick to chino supers. I don't eat meat, poultry or fish, in summer mainly fruit and veg, a lot of rice cakes, soups, pulses. Doesn't seem to be stress as my body feels poisoned when it happens. I won't go into yucky details! I have increased hygiene but don't want to become a fanatic like Monk...

Wow, it is refreshing to come online and see this after being in the hospital for nearly a week. I thought I was the only one whose body refused to adjust to Argentina. I felt like I was eating well enough, getting enough sleep but I caught pneumonia out of nowhere and enjoyed my first experience staying in a hospital. Yikes!!! It was awful and the recovery is going slow. As far as vomiting goes the hospital doesn´t give you tap water. That is probably for a reason. You put bottle waters on your tab for the room.

Hospitals here are different and the experience was a bit scary. I yelled at two nurses pretty bad the first night because no one was telling me what was going on. If you have to go to the hospital here you´ll want someone with you to keep an eye on what they are giving you and be prepared for bureaucracy. I had three doctors that all had to essentially sign off on treatment before any changes were made and I had several allergies to the medicine. Apparently pneumonia is not uncommon here and a there were a lot of people in the hospital who just randomly caught it or had other flu-type bugs. In fact the first hospital I went to didn´t have any remaining beds and they transferred me to another. I had no warning. No cold, no sore throat, no prior symptoms. I wonder what the diet and stress factors here contributed or, if it was just a freak thing. Stay healthy out there people.

Sorry to hear about your pneumonia experience, jayjane. I hope you get your strength back asap. A friend of mine has just been laid up for 3 weeks with severe bronchitis. Someone posted recently on this site about coming down with TB! A friend of a friend sadly died of TB in Bs As last year....

I get sick in the UK! All those currys and fried fish and chips! Just cook at home when in BA and you'll avoid unknown food sources

Mariefer, I don't ever eat out...I'm thinking this is from some kind of pesticide or insect spray on food packaging. Or maybe the diesel fumes!!

wow. i thought i was the only one. i recently got over a bug (last week).

every time i am in BA, i always get some stomach flu/bug. I rarely get sick when I am back home....must be the food or water...I dunno but i do try to be extra careful of what I eat, buy, order.
I try to eat very healthy, take vitamins and exerciser...I guess that bug is in the air here in BA and you cannot avoid it no matter how healthy your lifestyle can be.

We, too, have had many more bouts of sickness and seem to catch and re-catch that 3 week coughing bug. Different strains down here, maybe? We're definitely sick more often here than in our home country.

What I've noticed is that people here don't cover their nose/mouth when they cough, they spit phlegm on the sidewalks and many people don't wash their hands after using the restroom. I know it's not ALL people here, but it's certainly more prevalent here than anywhere I've ever lived (Asia, North America, Europe). Along with that, room temps are usually overly warm, which is a breeding ground for all kinds of good stuff.

Thanks for all the advice! For me I really think it's the stress wearing on my immune system. I am a small town girl and this city seriously stresses me out but I'm staying because, like so many before me, I am marrying an Argentine.

I really don't think it's diet for me because I always eat at home and bring my lunches to work. I eat out once, maybe a couple times a month. And the detox may be a good idea but I think I would prefer to eat meat and be sick than eat only fruit for a week. I'm a hardcore meat eating Texan and the Argentine diet sits well with me. haha

I have been here for 3 weeks now and I already got sick. It's a type of flue, doctor said angina. I have a high fever and I slept 24 hours in a row. I think its stress and maybe viruses that I'm not used to.

Back