Vomiting every 2 weeks!

I think it's normal to get sick while adjusting to a foreign country. I never get sick at home, but here I've had colds, the flu, and pink eye all in less than 6 months!

On one of my prior visits I got stomach cramps so bad I actually passed out while on the toilet. Nothing like waking up lying on the bathroom floor looking at the ceiling. I believe the cause was a bad tiramisu I had at a restaurant.

I always joke with my fiance that Argentina is trying to kill me.

Eating probiotics has been shown to be effective in preventing or shortening the effects of gastritis in studies.

You can pick it up in pharmacy here, it's called "Totalflora".

I am actually a lot healthier here. At first there was a bit of adjustment and I got sick a couple times, but now I feel great. My diet is a mix of home cooked and restaurant. I eat a lot of veggies along with meat. Less stress here helps too. As for water, I just use a Brita filter. Your body will not be used to the different mineral content here, but should eventually adapt. I think stress and worry might be the biggest factor.
Funny thing, I can't digest dairy in North America, but here I can have milk and ice cream with no problems. I was actually a clean freak back home and now I just wash my hands like normal people (not every time I touch something new). I guess it's just different for everyone though.

I got sick the first time I was here. I think stress played into it a lot. I also had a long time where I wasn't able to sleep more than a few hours that played into it. It was a stomach bug that didn't go away for almost a month. I had to see my doctor and take a lot of medicine before that would go away.

But in the 2 years I've been here since coming back, I've only been really sick twice and both it was because we were under a lot of stress. Back home I was getting sick every 2 or 3 months, but here it is about once a year.

va2ba, do you remember which medicine finally helped you? And do you know what particular strain of bug was it?? Thnx!

CarverFan said:
Thanks for your replies everyone. Lee, I will def use only bottled water even for tea from now.....Mhenna11, I do detox. Have done lots of fruitarian mono-mealing, recently one week on only bananas and and also several mono oj days so don't think it's toxins in my body. I never get sick in UK, guess I just can't handle the germs here!!
I see your problem.

Eat like a normal person.

Detox diets are all hogwash anyways.

What I've noticed is that people here don't cover their nose/mouth when they cough

THANK YOU for mentioning that; I thought I was the only one going around bitching about it. As a kid, it was drilled into my head that "you cover your mouth when you cough!", so I was horrified when I saw Argentine kids coughing and sneezing into other people's faces, and their parents simply ignoring their behavior. Then I realized, how can the adults correct their kids, when they're doing the exact same thing? After suffering through a HORRIBLE month-long bronchial infection last winter, I can't help but flinch now whenever someone coughs near me on a crowded train or street.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I've definitely had a few episodes of stomach distress in BA (no vomiting, but cramps and diarrhea, which pass after a few hours.) The main suspects are milk (which I no longer use) or uncooked produce (which I now wash 200% more thoroughly than I used to.) I still occasionally get mild indigestion/stomach pain after preparing or ordering a salad, but what am I supposed to do, stop eating vegetables? And the stomach pain has never happened to me in the US or Europe, so I chalk it up to either the pesticides on produce, or the way food is handled (by people wearing no gloves who have just touched money, not washed their hands, etc.)

Starlucia, that's my problem, I love salads and now can't eat them here!! I have tried using hydrogen peroxide (rinsed v thoroughly) to clean veggies but it doesn't help so that points to a pesticide rather than germs. I also blanch in boiling water if poss. PhilipDT, if this thread is of no interest to you, why are you following it??

CarverFan said:
PhilipDT, if this thread is of no interest to you, why are you following it??
You ate only bananas for a week! This thread is better than schlepping out to the zoo.

PhilipDT said:
You ate only bananas for a week! This thread is better than schlepping out to the zoo.

Why it is strange? I like differences, I think it's interesting reading that this person did a mono diet. I never heard of it and looked into it. And we should help, this thread was intially put up because this person was concerned about the vomitting. I hope you are better whoever you are and you are not sick anymore.

Back