vonage!

FYI. I've used my VOIP service (Broadvoice) in about 5 different apartments with only minor problems relating to quality but recently found I was unable to connect in my new apartment. The internet connection was DSL through ARNET, the telephone company. After several days of screwing with the routers etc I came to the conclusion (and found evidence of this in internet forums on VOIP) that ARNET blocks ports used by Vonage, Broadvoice, Voicepulse, etc (ports 5060 through 5064) to avoid the competition. This prohibits outgoing calls or causes the other party not to be able to hear you when you call out. It you are experiencing problem with outgoing calls and have DSL you have a problem. Cable and Fiber Optic providers are apparently not blocking these ports. I always had CABLE internet in the other apartments.
I solved the problem by getting a SKYPE account that does not use these ports. It solved the problem. Skype is very inexpensive. I receive incoming calls as usual through my normal VOIP provider (thus I don't have to notify others of a new phone number) but I sue SKYPE on the outgoing calls. It confuses parties receiving the call if they see a different CALLER ID but that is the only drawback (other than spending an extr $7 per month).

Back