Voter Registration For New Argentine Citizens

I think this gets more confusing because words like "vote" and "residents/citizens" are distinguished into subcategories. I was told when I got my permanent RESIDENCY (not citizenship) that I was eligible to "VOTE" now. True, but only partially! (Like Steven Colbert, "truthable"?)
PERMANENT RESIDENTS can vote in local elections after properly registering as Jan kindly pointed out. However unless one is a CITIZEN your voting rights end there. Citizens can vote after being registered in any election that pertains to their jurisdiction. Once per election. Legally, anyway :)
Yeah it's always what you don't know that you don't know that gets you! Guess I'll take off "register to vote" from my "to do list" for now....

Are there any new Argentine citizens in the capital federal who already registered to vote?

I got my citizenship a month or two before the last legislative elections. It was too late to be included on voter rolls. However, I verified that I was included for this election and this Sunday (for the PASO in the Ciudad) will be my first time voting. So I'm looking forward to doing my part.

If you are a citizen you don't actually have to "register" to vote here. Its automatic based on your DNI and your address. If you have an Argentine DNI before the cut-off date then you are included in the voter rolls automatically. Nothing extra needs to be done.

Thanks for the information.

I've been checking my DNI on both of the voter rolls, and my DNI doesn't get me into the padron electorales. I thought I would be added automatically as you state. I got citizenship in July 2013 and have anticipated the opportunity to vote.

Congratulations on your citizenship and for exercising your right to vote in the important election.

City primary for mayor, etc. - April 26 (paper ballot)
City general election - July 5 (electronic voting)

National primary - August 9
General election for President - October 25

I have continued my search for information about permanent residents and naturalized citizens voting in the city election on April 26 and July 5.

Today I found yet another site. https://www.dondevotociudad.gob.ar/

Si es un Elector Extranjero/a consulte aquí
Solo podrán votar los inscriptos en el Registro de Electoras Extranjeras y Electores Extranjeros antes del 6 de enero del 2015.

You had to be registered with the Tribunal Superior before January 6, 2015 -- 180 days prior to the general city election on July 5, 2015.

It appears that all foreigners with permanent residency or naturalized citizenship are required to register to vote.

I found the text of Law 334 applying to voting requirements for foreign permanent residents of the city of Buenos Aires.
http://www.tsjbaires.gov.ar/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=items&cid=31&id=369&Itemid=29

One paragraph stands out -

Article 11. The Executive Branch will implement general measures of advertising, with particular reference to the representative bodies that bring together immigrants and communities, which are explanatory of the rights of foreign residents in the city of Buenos Aires to vote in local elections, including the requirements and procedures for registration.

Has anyone seen any advertising (other than the city's website) with requirements and procedures for voter registration directed specifically to foreigners with permanent residency?

If foreigners have accepted the "no voting" information in the Immigration for Dummies article on this forum, they don't know about their right to vote as permanent residents.

The TSJ site includes data from previous city elections, including the number of foreigners who voted in each city election since 2000.

Is anyone on this forum registered to vote in the July 5 election?

I got my citizenship a month or two before the last legislative elections. It was too late to be included on voter rolls. However, I verified that I was included for this election and this Sunday (for the PASO in the Ciudad) will be my first time voting. So I'm looking forward to doing my part.

If you are a citizen you don't actually have to "register" to vote here. Its automatic based on your DNI and your address. If you have an Argentine DNI before the cut-off date then you are included in the voter rolls automatically. Nothing extra needs to be done.

Sometimes, judges has too much work and they don`t inform the Camara electoral. In thouse cases, you go to Court and ask for a certified copy of the sentence. With that plus the carta de ciudadania, you can enroll yourself.

Horacio Rodriguez Larreta received 45% of the vote for jefe del gobierno on July 5, so there will be a runoff election("Segunda Vuelta") on Sunday, July 19 (8 a 18 hs) between him and Lousteau (25%) in which one candidate must receive more than 50% of the votes. http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/justiciayseguridad/elecciones/cronograma-electoral

"If you are a foreigner with 2 or more years of legal residence in the province of Buenos Aires, you have the obligation to vote in the primary election on August 9 and the general on October 25."

http://www.gob.gba.gov.ar/portal/subsecretarias/gabinete/provincialelectoral/extranjeros.php

The official voter list for the August 9 national primary is available today.
http://padronelectoral.org/consultar-padron-electoral

Once again I checked for my DNI since I have citizenship for two years. I still cannot vote.

Back