Wannabe Expats

Quoting "JG": ". . . . [T]this is argentina, the tunnel has no light at the end, either end."
I've a hunch that there was light -- behind us. If Argentina hadn't gone off the track ca. 1930, life would have been very, very sweet.

..so you are all in a dark tunnel... and since their is no light, that you can find... you spend every waking second...complaining about how dark it all seems... only to find that you have your head between your legs... Thought I would just be "short and sweet"... changed my mind... :pLet's look at it from a different angle... Let's say you are not a US citizen... from any country in the world and want a residency (US)... please explain how that is an easier/cheaper process than here... (not saying it is "easy" here either!)Now add how "expensive" utilities are here... I am sure the "dark tunnel dwellers" will say it costs the same ..if not more than the US or Europe... I say...10 times less per m2...YES..in foreign currencyEducation: University of Palermo (UP)... 600 pesos (200u$s) a month for foreigners, for a "full load"... 15unitsetc etc etc....Are many "things" about the system, many people (locals)...at times..."frustrating"? Sure they are...as anywhere! Can the locals (many) seem irrational, even irate at times...sure. As much as the expats, in general, on this site... not even close!:p

cbphoto - some people on this site are actually expats that live in BsAs. And I imagine with all different kinds of circumstances, familiar or otherwise.
The majority however are 'gap year expats' requesting peanut butter.
And there are some who live elsewhere and contribute with valuable info and questions.
And there is infrequently looney left bilge spouted here also.
It takes all kinds I guess.

"Fishface" said:
cbphoto - some people on this site are actually expats that live in BsAs. And I imagine with all different kinds of circumstances, familiar or otherwise.
The majority however are 'gap year expats' requesting peanut butter.
And there are some who live elsewhere and contribute with valuable info and questions.
And there is infrequently looney left bilge spouted here also.
It takes all kinds I guess.
well.. I have been here 6 months...so I guess I don't count as someone that "lives" here... how long do I have to "be" here, before I will be accepted as someone that "lives" here? As soon as I hate everything? I might add I have "lived" in quite a few places... most recently Turkey (8 years)... this is a cake walk.. (Argentina) I have already "enjoyed" much of the "bureaucracy" this place has to offer.. but to be honest... don't see much difference anywhere I have lived before...same stupid shit, different smell... just because it smells different doesn't mean the shit I smelled b4 was any more pleasant..."infrequently looney left bilge spouted.." that is an understatement... I have been turned off/bored so often at the ramblings of the many, not few complainers on this site.... if one were to compare the amount of negative commentary to the positives... I figure 5 to 1. When was the last bit written about anything "nice" about Argentina or BsAS on this site...without an "attack" by a disturbed tunnel dweller... within seconds? "...you and your stupid rose colored glasses...bla bla.. bla..."No place is Utopia... make the best of where you are... I know at times you want to let your frustrations out... to scream..to not keep it all in! It makes you all feel better. (could be addictive) But have you considered that at some point... to feel better, might be as easy as enjoying, what there is to enjoy around you? xoxoxoChris

"Johny" said:
Hello Deb, my name is Viviana I reside in Nashville Tn, where I am a realtor and financial consultant to hispanics. My husband and I are also weary and sick and tired of everything here. We just both happen to be from Argentina so we are very aware of the changes we must face. the change is definitely worth the move!!!! My husband will be in Mendoza July 10th, we help americans with travel, housing accomodations for vacations or your permanent move check out our blog
http://www.mendozaconnection.blogspot.com
http://mendozaconnection.blogspot.com/
If you want to contact me in the US my number is 615-405-7217 or
wwwtodofinanciero.net
Good luck to you hope we can help!!
Viviana and Ariel

Viviana,
In case you didn't notice, this woman asked for real advice on moving with her family to Argentina. I'm sure she didn't ask for this kind of jingoistic propaganda... I undertand you are trying to promote your business, but i don't think this is the right place to do it. You do realize this is not in the ads section, right?
On the other hand, uprooting a whole family and moving here is not as easy as you make it sound. Believe it or not, Argentina can be a tough place... Why do you think so many argentines want to flee the country then? Think a little....
Johny, let me shed some light for you. I am trying to help expats like you to make sound decisions for thier families.I am not advertising my services. My husband and I help expats get thier DNI's and residency . I do not know what your legal status is in Argentina but I suppose you have been fortunate to take advantage of the benefits of living abroad. You happen to live in a city that is crammed with over 20 million people, I know I lived in Buenos Aires, there is a lot of great thing about it, It would be like saying I live in New York City. Its a way of life and not meant for everyone. I was letting Deb know there are choices. My husband and I have 6 children after considering everything, Mendoza just fits the bill .
When I reside in the US my job is that of helping the undocumented and residents of hispanic decent, You made a comment that Argentines want to flee to the United States. Do you have any idea waht is going on here with all the immigration changes?? Since Jan 2008 ICE Law is in effect. No undocumented person without a drivers license that is stopped for a a traffic infraction is put in jail for 6-8 months until deportation. Passengers that do not have ID are as well prosecuted in the same manner. Most people have Tax payer ID numbers and pay taxes but do not get refunds back. NO more drivers licenses are being issued unless you have a social security number
Oh! by the way you can't get married . Is this freedom??? People in Argentina are free to make choices,( no many people work independentely there) they want to flee because they think the grass is greener here and possibly they are a bit lazy in thier own country!!!! I know I live in Argentina !!! I have met over 5000 Argentinians in Texas in 2003. Went back this year only 1500 left , they are all back home.
I hope to help you in the future in some way, even after your negative words, for your information money is not everything in life, we really believe that Mendoza has a way of life to offer to raise a family.
Best Regards.
Viviana
NOTE: I have lived in USA 40 years
( san diego, las vegas, virginia, nashville and Destine, FL)

Viviana, I have found a lot of negative tones to this message board, don't let it bother you. I also believe that there are other parts of Argentina that are great. I do post here, as we don't have a forum just for Patagonia. I admire what you are doing. My wife, dog and I moved to Argentina dog 3 years ago and would have loved to have a person like you on our team. Suerte!

Viviana wrote:"Johny, let me shed some light for you. I am trying to help expats
like you to make sound decisions for thier families.I am not
advertising my services. My husband and I help expats get thier DNI's
and residency . I do not know what your legal status is in Argentina
but I suppose you have been fortunate to take advantage of the benefits
of living abroad. You happen to live in a city that is crammed with
over 20 million people, I know I lived in Buenos Aires, there is a lot
of great thing about it, It would be like saying I live in New York
City. Its a way of life and not meant for everyone. I was letting Deb
know there are choices. My husband and I have 6 children after
considering everything, Mendoza just fits the bill .
When
I reside in the US my job is that of helping the undocumented and
residents of hispanic decent, You made a comment that Argentines want
to flee to the United States. Do you have any idea waht is going on
here with all the immigration changes?? Since Jan 2008 ICE Law is in
effect. No undocumented person without a drivers license that is
stopped for a a traffic infraction is put in jail for 6-8 months until
deportation. Passengers that do not have ID are as well prosecuted in
the same manner. Most people have Tax payer ID numbers and pay taxes
but do not get refunds back. NO more drivers licenses are being issued
unless you have a social security number
Oh! by the way you
can't get married . Is this freedom??? People in Argentina are free to
make choices,( no many people work independentely there) they want to
flee because they think the grass is greener here and possibly they are
a bit lazy in thier own country!!!! I know I live in Argentina !!! I
have met over 5000 Argentinians in Texas in 2003. Went back this year
only 1500 left , they are all back home.
I hope to help you
in the future in some way, even after your negative words, for your
information money is not everything in life, we really believe that
Mendoza has a way of life to offer to raise a family.
Best Regards.
Viviana
NOTE: I have lived in USA 40 years
( san diego, las vegas, virginia, nashville and Destine, FL)"
There are a number of things Viviana wrote in her reply to Johny
that I don't understand, and I have a number of questions and
observations as follows:
1. "Johny, let me shed some light for you. I am trying to help expats
like you to make sound decisions for thier families."

How do you know what kind of expat Johny is or if he has a family?2.
"I am not
advertising my services."When you aren't scolding Johny or itemizing the problems facing the
undocumented in the US, your first post does appear to be plug for services to those who wish to emigrate to Argentina. Its just the reality of the words you
chose:"we help americans with travel, housing accomodations for vacations or your permanent move"If you do these services for free, please say so. Otherwise, I will continue to believe its an ad.
3. " My husband and I help expats get thier DNI's
and residency . "Is this a mission statement or an additional job description? In other words, are you altruists or do you charge for this service? Johny may not need residency or a DNI, anyway. He could be
here on a 90 day tourist visa or have the 90 day prorrogas de
permanencia and be completely legal...and, with the semi-annual trip to
Uruguay (or any other country), remain so in perpetuity. On the other
hand, he may already have is residency and DNI, as many of us do.

4. You continue with: "I do not know what your legal status is in Argentina
but I suppose you have been fortunate to take advantage of the benefits
of living abroad."?

The first half f the sentence is clear and objective, but is it fair to make any suppositions? By "living abroad" are you specifically referring to Argentina and what "benefits" do you suppose that Johny has been "taking advantage" of?

5. "When
I reside in the US my job is that of helping the undocumented and
residents of hispanic decent, You made a comment that Argentines want
to flee to the United States. Do you have any idea waht is going on
here with all the immigration changes?? Since Jan 2008 ICE Law is in
effect. No undocumented person without a drivers license that is
stopped for a a traffic infraction is put in jail for 6-8 months until
deportation. Passengers that do not have ID are as well prosecuted in
the same manner. Most people have Tax payer ID numbers and pay taxes
but do not get refunds back. NO more drivers licenses are being issued
unless you have a social security number"

OK, all factual info here: Undocumented individuals in any country face trouble with the
authorities. The consequences of being "caught" in Argentina with an
expired tourist visa aren't very drastic. Besides, relatively few foreigners
come here from the US or Europe without a return ticket or decide that
they want to stay in Argentina to live. Unlike the US, Argentina hasn't
been flooded with over ten million undocumented individuals who may or
may not be working (paying taxes at the lowest rates or not at all),
sending children to public schools, seeking health care for which they
cannot and usually do not pay, and possibly committing other criminal
acts which are far more common of "illegals" in the US than here.

6. You then make an exclimation and pose a question: "Oh! by the way you
can't get married . Is this freedom???

Even with my US citizenship, I could not marry an Argentine woman
and take her to the US to live without going through the lengthy legal pocess. Marriages of convenience for
the purpose of circumventing the US immigration laws are simply not accepted . It is true that I could "take advantage" of living in
Argentina and marry an Argentine woman for the benefit of obtaining
residency here, but I took the less complicated approach by obtaining
the visa rentista (ultimately, on my own with just the help of an interpreter for a couple hours). I was able to do so because I"have been fortunate to take advantage of the benefits
of living" in the US for the first 50 years of my life and have something to show for it. Now Argentina is getting it.

7-9. "People in Argentina are free to
make choices,( no many people work independentely there) they want to
flee because they think the grass is greener here and possibly they are
a bit lazy in thier own country!!!! I know I live in Argentina !!! I
have met over 5000 Argentinians in Texas in 2003. Went back this year
only 1500 left , they are all back home."This is a bit confusing do to the grammar. Are you saying that NOT
many Argentines work independently and they are indeed lazier in their
own country? Is this why 70 percent of them have come back home from
Texas? Are you helping Argentines get out of the US, too?

10. "I hope to help you
in the future in some way, even after your negative words, for your
information money is not everything in life, we really believe that
Mendoza has a way of life to offer to raise a family."

In spite of the rather condescending comment about money not being
"everything in life" (something Johny could already know), Mendoza may
indeed be a family friendly paradise compared to Buenos Aires. After seeing the photos
in the links, I want to go there, at least to visit. I swore (after
living in Park City, Utah for 15 years) I never again would live where
it snowed, but I've also learned to never say never.

The bottom line is: Being a real expat definitely beats the helloutof
being a wannabe expat, now, here, in Buenos Aires, at least for me,
even with all of the dangers...and the drama.

Steve, what do you do for a living? Are you a private investigator or a Literature teacher by chance?

Isn't it obvious? I'm an obsessive-compulsive insomniac who had great English teachers.

1. "Johny, let me shed some light for you. I am trying to help expats like you to make sound decisions for thier families.I am not advertising my services. My husband and I help expats get thier DNI's and residency . I do not know what your legal status is in Argentina but I suppose you have been fortunate to take advantage of the benefits of living abroad. You happen to live in a city that is crammed with over 20 million people, I know I lived in Buenos Aires, there is a lot of great thing about it, It would be like saying I live in New York City. Its a way of life and not meant for everyone. I was letting Deb know there are choices. My husband and I have 6 children after considering everything, Mendoza just fits the bill ."
First off, I am NOT an expat. For your information I am an ARGENTINE CITIZEN who was born and raised in Argentina and have lived here my whole life... I don't know what the hell you're talking about. I already have my DNI and don't need no residency, so I don't think I'll ever need any of your services... THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Anyway, I highly doubt you would be able to help anyone at all, expat or not... Your condescending attitude leaves a lot to be desired.
2. "When I reside in the US my job is that of helping the undocumented and residents of hispanic decent, You made a comment that Argentines want to flee to the United States. Do you have any idea waht is going on here with all the immigration changes?? Since Jan 2008 ICE Law is in effect. No undocumented person without a drivers license that is stopped for a a traffic infraction is put in jail for 6-8 months until deportation. Passengers that do not have ID are as well prosecuted in the same manner. Most people have Tax payer ID numbers and pay taxes but do not get refunds back. NO more drivers licenses are being issued unless you have a social security number
Oh! by the way you can't get married . Is this freedom??? People in Argentina are free to make choices,( no many people work independentely there) they want to flee because they think the grass is greener here and possibly they are a bit lazy in thier own country!!!! I know I live in Argentina !!! I have met over 5000 Argentinians in Texas in 2003. Went back this year only 1500 left , they are all back home."
I said that many Argentines want to flee the country (Argentina). I never specified which country they want to flee to nor said anything about the US. Your comprehension skills must be really poor... But since you mention it, I have many Argentine friends living in the US and Europe and I can assure you they don't have the slightest intention of coming back. They are very happy with their lives there and if they ever return "home" it is only to visit their relatives. If it weren't for that, they wouldn't even come.
As for the US, everything you claimed is either defective or simply doesn't make sense. Steveinbsas already made this clear so I've got nothing to add. It's all said.
3. "I hope to help you in the future in some way, even after your negative words, for your information money is not everything in life, we really believe that Mendoza has a way of life to offer to raise a family."
As I said earlier, I don't need your help. Also, I NEVER said ANYTHING about money. Stop putting words in my mouth and making assumptions about people you know nothing about. It's making you look bad you know...
I see you label my words "negative" and it's ok... I don't care. Actually, coming from you, I'll take it as a compliment. If negative means being realistic and speaking the truth about this country, then be it. I prefer that to being "positive" any day, especially if this involves talking a lot of bullshit like many here do. I just said Argentina can be a tough place and uprooting a family from their homeland to move here is a serious matter. Sounds logical enough to me... But hey, I understand this may be too much for you to handle, especially since you seem to be such a patriotic Argentine...
That being said, I don't think you came here to actually help Deb but to hijack this thread and pull your own agenda. Your activity seems to revolve around spreading jingoistic propaganda, bashing the US and attacking people who disagree with your nonsense. I fail to see how any of this is going to help Deb... Or is this your strategy to persuade people? If so, I strongly recommend you change it. You won't gain many clients with this attitude, believe me... And btw, what a sad way to promote a business!!!
4. "NOTE: I have lived in USA 40 years ( san diego, las vegas, virginia, nashville and Destine, FL)"
You claim Argentina is so wonderful and so much better than the US, but yet you have lived in the US 40 years. Mmmm... Interesting

Back