Wanting to move to BA

mrsesamechicken

Registered
My name is Dan, and I'm extremely glad to have found this message board. I am currently looking forward to moving into Buenos Aires around Fall 2010 for either studying or just living. I currently live in the US and need a change of scenery.

Does anyone have any helpful links/articles on the processes of moving to Argentina from the US for a year or so?

To be honest with, I find most of the helpful info on the forums of this site. There are plenty of helpful & informative people here.

I will tell you, from personal experience, begin gathering the necessary paperwork for the visa!

Prior to your departure, begin looking for a place to crash. There are forums on this site, there is also forums on couchsurfing.com, & try compartodepto.com

The main job portals are bumeran.com, computrabajo.com, & craigslist I guess.

Just familiarize yourself with common scams, many people try to exploit us foreigners, maybe by charging outrageous rent prices, handing us counterfeit bills, or robbery "acts" acted out on travelers.

Just visit this site & read the forums. Very informative stories.

I would suggest taking everything you hear here and elsewhere on the internet with a pinch of salt.

your probaly around your early 20's?

Maybe some of the information, especially relating to moving to BA from the US on the internet is directed at older people.

It all depends on context. And my experience of BA might be completly different from yours simply by being from a different continent.

Basically, you won't know until you get here!

I second Katster's suggestion to take things with a grain of salt -- this place is totally what you make of it, and there are a lot people who prefer to grumble about broken sidewalks and the lack of peanut butter than to enjoy the amazing, hot, charmingly dysfunctional city. It's a challenge, but totally worth it.

There's also a lot of conflicting information on these boards (as with the internet in general), because people have different experiences and generalize them, and because things here seem to change all the time. So just be prepared to go with the flow, to not get upset at the small stuff, and to brace yourself for a little culture shock -- as much as this city looks like Europe or the US, it's different in fundamental ways.

I would try checking out sites like Lonely Planet , or just google: Buenos Aires; moving to buenos Aires; life in Buenos Aires.

Or, if you are looking to study for a year, check out Spanish schools or Universities in Buenos Aires.

There is so much opportunity down here for foreigners, hence why there are so many. Coming over the states is pretty easy. If you renew your visa (tourist) while you are here, you can stay for a year no problem. If you study, you can apply for a student visa.

U.S dollars go a long way here, so job or no job, it should be a pretty easy transition. I think this site is a great place to ask questions and see how people are living down here!

I would try checking out sites like Lonely Planet , or just google: Buenos Aires; moving to buenos Aires; life in Buenos Aires.

Or, if you are looking to study for a year, check out Spanish schools or Universities in Buenos Aires.

There is so much opportunity down here for foreigners, hence why there are so many. Coming over the states is pretty easy. If you renew your visa (tourist) while you are here, you can stay for a year no problem. If you study, you can apply for a student visa.

U.S dollars go a long way here, so job or no job, it should be a pretty easy transition. I think this site is a great place to ask questions and see how people are living down here!

Back