Warning to women

This, unfortunately can happen in many cities around this world. In Buenos Aires the police think this is funny and won't bother to even follow up if you were to report it.

@2GuysinPM: thank you so much for the offer. My student actually just gave me one today when she heard my story, so I'll definitely keep it handy when I'm alone. I really do appreciate everyone being so kind and comforting to me through this.

I am definitely counting my blessings and will try to regard this event as a reality check and be much more aware and cautious from now on. Thanks again, everyone, I'm glad to have a community here to support me.

So sorry to hear that but try not to take taxies at random it is very risky sometimes a taxi driver may be left jail "yesterday" who knows and foreigners and sometimes locals as well are an easy target, have in mind Ciber taxi they have a web page call them they have new cars and as far as I know they are very reliable and the service is excellent try to have the remise ph nr in your mobile, this is what we do and we are locals, take care
Reina

That is horrible, I'm so sorry that happened to you! Last time I was in BA for a few months I took taxis all over by myself and luckily only had one problem (and compared to this it is teeny tiny!) when I decided to go to Jumbo rather than the little supermarket by my piso one day.

Got a taxi outside of Jumbo and the driver started telling me that he was from Paraguay, hated Argentines and that I had "cara de pendeja" and then started asking all these questions about when the last time I had sex was, what he wanted to do to me, etc etc. I kept telling him to stop and open the door and he refused. Finally I grabbed a bottle of wine out of my jumbo bag and smashed it in to the window and he started screaming at me loca de mierda fuera de aqui hija de puta!!! and let me go,. Although I did forget the bag with a loaf of bread, club soda and goldfish (30 peso goldfish!)

I also did not report him to radio taxi because in that moment it didn't even cross my mind to write down his taxi number. Good lesson for next time though!

On my trip I did get the numbers of two extremely nice taxistas though and called them several times. One of them ended up being my friends old neighbor and took me to meet his wife and kids!

dmbailey, you have a great deal of courage and were very brave indeed.
You stood up for yourself where others may not have had the balls to do so and you stood your corner.
Many of us imagine that this may happen, but never actually experience it, thankfully.
I'm a bloke and without wishing to sound sexist in any way whatsoever; I'm not sure if i could have handled that situation as well as you did.

i´m sorry to heard what happened to you. be always very carefull when taking a taxi, rather call a radio taxi always. there are mugging-taxis outside night clubs.
about the id of this taxi, unfortunately there are what are called twin taxis. 2 taxis same model of car, same plates etc. also the license of the taxi hunging on the back of the front passenger seat doesn´t always match the identity of the driver. some drivers they just pay the rent of the car to the owner of the license.
what i´m saying is that to identify this specific taxi can be very difficult. arrests have been made on similar situations after several police reports i watched that on tv a while ago. this complains i think can be done in a comisaria de la mujer where they are supposed to treat you better and give you support...

mulderfox said:
i´m sorry to heard what happened to you. be always very carefull when taking a taxi, rather call a radio taxi always. there are mugging-taxis outside night clubs.
about the id of this taxi, unfortunately there are what are called twin taxis. 2 taxis same model of car, same plates etc. also the license of the taxi hunging on the back of the front passenger seat doesn´t always match the identity of the driver. some drivers they just pay the rent of the car to the owner of the license.
what i´m saying is that to identify this specific taxi can be very difficult. arrests have been made on similar situations after several police reports i watched that on tv a while ago. this complains i think can be done in a comisaria de la mujer where they are supposed to treat you better and give you support...

Unless the owner of the taxi license drives his or her own taxi the driver won't match the id of the taxi. All radio taxis must have two signs hanging on the back of the seat. One with the identity of the driver who rents the taxi, and the other must have the information of the owner of the taxi license and car. When an incident like that happens realistically speaking you wouldn't have time to take out pen and paper and write down the license plate number located on the back of the taxi. Just grab the sign with the license number and name of the owner in front of your seat. The driver can't operate the vehicle without it and you can contact the owner directly after filing a police report. Always call a radio taxi, don't hail a radio taxi on the street. Many radio taxis have a gps tracking satellite system installed in them so that the owner can keep track of there whereabouts. If you an contact the owner and let him or her know where and when the incident took place, he or she can always check the tracking history and verify it and suspend or fire the driver. Some taxi drivers rob you and some are victims of robberies by passengers. I even had one driver save me when I was attacked on the street by street thugs.

On the note of "take a radio taxi". I was used to the yellow cab system of NYC and thought for a full year that all yellow cabs were "radio taxis", but that's not the case. I just learned that radio taxis have the name of the company on the outside of the back door. That info is just in case anyone is making the same mistake as me hailing one on the street.

Way to go OP for roughing the guy up!

Also it is important t remember that taking a radio taxi off the street and calling a radio taxi are not the same thing. If you hail a radio taxi off the street it's not as secure as calling one in advance. if you call one in advance they will register your name / phone number / the taxi's movil number. If you call a service like Premium they will send you all of the information about the car in a text message 5 minutes in advance of showing up. If you hail a radio taxi on the street you are safer than just one of the hired cars but you don't get registered in the logs and you don't have the movil number sent to you. The great thing with receiving the text message is that if you do lose something (with the exception of your phone ;) or something happens, you have all the information right there in your phone and don't have to remember to remember to write it down in the mment.

dmbailey said:
I gave him the fare, he handed me my change, and I went to open the door and get out. When I did that, he locked the door and asked me to exit on the other side of the car so I would not open the door into the street (which I have heard here before, so I paid it no mind). I slid over to the other side and as I cracked open the door he started saying, "Linda! Linda, mira! Mira!" So I turned around to see what he was asking me to look at to find him with his dick sticking straight out of his pants while he was jerking off. He said some filthy things and I screamed some insults at him as I tried to escape, when he tried to grab my hand and told me to "touch it." So obviously I...

I think that this was addressed in this video:

http://vimeo.com/36509870

Back