Washing Machine And Dryer Recommendations

pmacay

Registered
Hello group,

We’ve had a WhirlPool washing machine and dryer that are about 12 years old. We had the washing machine repaired a year ago for 1/2 cost of a new machine. The repair was never satisfactory and now it won’t even rotate with a 1/3rd of a load.

I’m looking at new washers and I’d like to get a matching dryer, seems like LG and Samsung are good brands of washers, but they don’t offer dryers, at least not on their websites. Philco seems to be the only company offering dryers but it doesn’t seem many stores carry them so maybe they’re imported from Brazil and not widely available??

Anyone have any ideas on a large department store to visit and models of washers? I heard Garbarino has lousy customer service if anything goes wrong. I heard there is an Argentine brand called DREAN.

Thanks for any info.

Pete & Ron / just back from vacation with 2 weeks of dirty clothes that need washing

We have the LG washing machine, top of the line and love it. We bought it last year. No dryer. When we were shopping for the washing machine a friend asked us to look for a dryer for her. Every store we looked at none was available, they ended up just repairing what they had.
Hanging clothes to dry really isn't that bad. We take our sheets and towels to the wash and fold.
Nancy

I can only say I got a Drean washing machine 2 weeks ago and it's already broken. Seriously. The screws on the back that hold the metal panel on somehow got stripped (or came that way - there was no way to have known). The company that sold it told us they only offered a 10 day guarantee and now I"m fighting with Drean to get it fixed. So would stay far, far away from them.

Our washer/dryer before were eslabon de lujo and they were workhorses. The motor just burned out on the washing machine after 10+ years (hence the drean) but the dryer still works.

We got a Mabe washing machine almost 2 years ago, haven't had any issues with it yet.

You can find dryers here but they're not that common and are expensive, you probably are better off not worrying about the same brand. It's the culture not to use them and just hang everything to dry, that's why you don't find them and why so many companies don't bother making them.

I've had two different washing machines that I bought myself, had experience with three.

We currently have an LG 8kg washing machine. We bought it about 18 months ago. It's very nice, and we've had zero problems. We have 5 in the house and use it literally every day.

I previously had a Bosche that I bought about 7 years ago and it went through the same amount of work during all that time. For the last 18 months, it has been sitting in a house used for renting to visiting expats and other things, and is in use 3-4 times a week in conjunction with another machine (I don't know the brand of that one). It's starting to finally have problems spinning fast.

I really like the LG we bought. I can vouch for Bosche as well.

The third was a local brand, about 8 years ago, and broke all the time. I don't remember now what brand it was, but it belonged to the owner of the apartment we were renting at the time.

When we were looking at washing machines 18 months ago, we looked at everything we could, spent weeks. None of the national brands I saw gave me a good feeling - things like loose-fitting doors made me worry a bit. The prices were better (usually), but you pay for what you get.

I've never found a dryer here. I've given up. Even if I could find one, I don't have near enough space to contemplate owning one. I had to rig a hovering drying platform in our tiny lavadero to dry clothes (literally just big enough to have a sink at one end and the washing machine at the other, facing each other and just enough space for one person to stand between them - about 80 centimeters wide by 170 centimeters long!).

I miss my other apartment, which had a drying closet heated by building water pipes...

Oh, and we ended up buying our LG from Garbarino. I don't know about their customer service on items like this, but I wouldn't expect them to have good customer service anyway. But that's simply what I've come to expect from most stores here. However, they did deliver literally within minutes of the early time they gave us to expect to delivery. But Garbarino had the best price on our machine by nearly $1000 pesos at the time. They also had the best selection, with the exception of the Huge Carrefour in Vicente Lopez near General Paz and Libertador.

I had a Candy for four years with no problems whatsoever.

Your biggest store would be mercado libre. I bought an american size LG washer and dryer, both imported from US, it was about 2 years ago, not sure if the guy still brings it. The name was devoto electronics, he brung all our appliances from US.

We bought an LG washer about 2 years ago, works great.
6 or 7 months ago we looked for a dryer. Bought the only one we could find, a Philco. It's timer has given us problems since the week 2, a few days after the Rodo's 10-day guarantee.
Basically the timer is useless in Cotton mode. Set for 50-minutes, it shuts off in 5 to 10.
The Philco tech came, knew what the problem was before even looking.
Since it was common problem, I said, You must have the repair parts in stock.
After picking himself off the ground from laughing so hard, he said 30 days for the parts and then they'd have to take the dryer away for 20-30 days for repair.
Needless to say, I just use the Caliente mode and it works but you have to check clothes all the time, something wet, sometimes super hot.
I'd give it 2 of 5 stars.

Back