watch out at ezeiza on arrival....

va2ba said:
So should I think twice about taking my dog with my back to the states?

Not if you are going back permanently - anything is better than leaving the dog behind.

My dogs flew many times, long plane trips to Washington and Denver. There was trouble only once, when my very old dog had seizures shortly after landing in BA.

Yeah I figured the wrapping though may be enough of a discouragement because of the extra time necessary to get through it -- but even with the wrap you need a lock. In transit through the USA, Border services will occasionally break the lock and open it, but I guess at least they leave you a note explaining that it was them that did it.

Hmmm ... Yeah my bag was slashed the last time I flew into Aeroparque Jorge Newbery. They couldn't get anything though, but it annoying.

syngirl said:
Y In transit through the USA, Border services will occasionally break the lock and open it, but I guess at least they leave you a note explaining that it was them that did it.

The last few times I flew here from the US the locks of all my bags were open, but nothing was missing. I use the kind of lock that customs can open, but they did not bother to close them again. No note, either. That was flying out of Washington's Dulles Airport.

Something that works is breaking up "sets" of things: only left foot shoes in one bag, different parts of outfits in different bags, etcetera. Also throwing things helter-skelter in the bags, instead keeping clothes neatly folded, crush them in balls or roll several things together.

Perhaps the reason I haven't been robbed is that my bags look too messy - a jumble of clothing, camping stuff, kitchenware, papers, and cooking spices.

Put your valuable stuff in between your dirty clothes :D that should scare them off.

I always use locks. Not the ones that go with the suitcase as they are not safe. I once lost the key and it really took me ages to open my bag!

Last time when we came with Alitalia, our bags came 14 days later, my friend didn't lock her bags, and the bose ipod docking station (which her son had put in at the last moment) was gone. But I suppose it was stolen in Italy, while standing there for almost 2 weeks before coming here...

I don't know if putting your things in seperate bags helps. when they broke into my friends house some time ago, they took the cameras, but didn't bother to take the chargers.

Getting things stolen out of your suitcases really isn't something new...

Anything of value goes in my carry-on but I have had CDs and things stolen from my bags en route to here. Sucks but what can you do. I locked the suitcases with an approved lock but someone (US Customs or here) broke the locks open.

I am always bringing back lots of interestings things from my trips to Europe including DVDs, books, kitchen and glassware, food, new clothes handbags, shoes etc since I cannot physically carry all 120kg or so in hand luggage ..and whilst I do tend to do what SaraSara recommend sre mixing up shoes etc and making it all look a bit chaotic, the bags still include easy and resellable pickings so I guess I have been lucky not to have the bags tampered with at all..

One consideration is the airline involved..does the stealing affect all airlines as I have heard a disproportionate amounts of thefts with friends flying Aereolinas...I often wonder if the European airlines have reps at Ezeiza who might be the one reason I have been so lucky so far..just wondering if anyone has experienced such thefts when flying Eureopean airlines such as Iberia, Air France or Lufthansa?

My first inclination was to blame baggage handlers in Madrid, as they would have much more time to rifle through luggage looking for valuables (and treats!).

Back