watch out at ezeiza on arrival....

The mafia has been stealing out of suitcases in Ezeiza for years. A couple years ago with hidden cameras they filmed how the airport employees abuse animals that are traveling in cases as well.

nlaruccia said:
The mafia has been stealing out of suitcases in Ezeiza for years. A couple years ago with hidden cameras they filmed how the airport employees abuse animals that are traveling in cases as well.

So should I think twice about taking my dog with my back to the states?

....."La Policía de Seguridad Aeroportuaria (PSA) confirmó que el sábado hubo dos denuncias policiales. "Los casos ya están judicializados", dijeron a TN.com.ar. "Las estadísticas indican que los robos se producen en los aeropuertos de salida o en tránsito, pero no en los de llegada, ya que el tiempo que demanda el desembarque es breve", señalaron desde el área de prensa."...

I wonder how true this is...for those who need a translation,...the local police are saying that the stats show that usually the baggage thefts are conducted at the originating airport or in transit rather than at the port of arrival as there is a time limit before the passengers get their bags. I don't know if I can trust this, does anyone know anything about this type of robbery? It would be interesting to read.

My mum is coming over in 4 weeks & I'm kind of getting ready to warn her. The more we know, maybe the better.
Thanks nlaruccia for your info about what happened 2yrs ago, very interesting.

I dont know if i agree with staff only having the opportunity to take stuff from bags at originating airport, as i have had to wait for ages sometimes for bags to come through after a flight, and this has been when my fight has been the only one to land at the time so not as if there was alot of flights to unload.
Basically my attitude is if you cant afford to lose it put in carry-on bag.

It is best to take all electronics and all valuables in the-carry on, even at the cost of traveling loaded like a camel in the Sahara's salt trading route.

Those wicked X-ray machines can easily detect cameras, etc., and it takes thieves only a couple of minutes to open the bag and take them out.

Another option is to have the luggage shrink-wrapped and sealed when leaving. I did that once but it proved to be more trouble than it was worth.

I go to the US regularly and always come back loaded and haven't lost anything.

YET....!

SaraSara said:
Another option is to have the luggage shrink-wrapped and sealed when leaving. I did that once but it proved to be more trouble than it was worth.

YET....!

From the article i understand she did have her bag wrapped..

I have had stuff go missing, go to/from EZE. But my own fault.. the last time because i had taken my toilet bag out of the main compartment of my backpack when my flight was delayed (like usual) and then just put in the top pocket in case i wanted to use again. When i checked in my bags forgot to put toilet bag back into main part of backpack and when i got home it was gone, the pocket was still zipped up, and other bits (plastic bag and book)still in it..

SaraSara said:
It is best to take all electronics and all valuables in the-carry on, even at the cost of traveling loaded like a camel in the Sahara's salt trading route.

Those wicked X-ray machines can easily detect cameras, etc., and it takes thieves only a couple of minutes to open the bag and take them out.

YET....!

I've paid for the shrink wrap thing when travelling with gifts etc -- and when travelling around Christmas time. Oherwise I use a lock -- however last week my husband was just on his routine business trip to Chile -- he checked his bag because he already had a backpack with him full of his laptop, camera, ipod etc etc. He used the same heavy padlock we usually do -- when he arrived in Chile it had been cut off and his bag had obviously been opened. Fortunately nothing of interest was in there.

davonz said:
From the article i understand she did have her bag wrapped..

Amazing...! I thought the wrapping was overdoing the caution, but apparently not even that works.

Back