Watching The Game With Fil: Top 5 Moments

EdRooney

Registered
So it being Padre's day and all, El Suegro (hereinafter, "Phil") came over to the Rooney Bunker yesterday for some asado and futbol. Since there are no recorded transcripts to share with you wonderful people, here are the Top 5 Moments:

1. -00.03.36, Argentina 0, Bosnia 0: Phil informs me that "we have to beat Bosnia to get back at them for polluting the Paraná River near Gualeguaychú. I'm a little hazy on the details, but always looking for new reasons for international enmity, I raise my glass in agreement.

2. 00:04:22, Argentina 1, Bosnia 0: Phil astutely points out that Argentina are totally awesome at benefiting from own-goals, and that Brazil has already started making them, so I should start placing bets on the albiceleste to take it all. Fortunately, all my money's tied up in Enron stocks.

3. 00:12:30, Argentina 1, Bosnia 0: Phil realises that Bosnia have a player (Dzeco) whose name the announcers pronounce the same way as Phil's favourite word ("seco!" or "bottom's up!"). The inevitable drinking game ensues, which becomes mortally dangerous in the second half, when Dzeco got the ball every 30 seconds.

4. 00:46:00, Argentina 1, Bosnia 0: Phil, now officially three sheets to the wind, begins to confuse Aguëro and Messi and asks me if I think Cristiano Ronaldo will ruin Brazil's (?) chances this year. He then heads to the loo and I strategically hide the bottle.

5. Full Time, Argentina wins, 2-1: I haven't seen Phil since his last baño break, so I head off to tell him the glorious news that the pollution of the Paraná has been rightfully avenged. I find him passed out on the guest bed with a poorly opened box of tinto on the ground and a cold leg of lechón half eaten on his chest. Happy Father's day, champ; you deserve it!

Citygirl, I'll see if I can hook you up for the Arg-Iran game. If you host, I'd be happy to drop him off, but you'll need a crane to get him home.

LOL - I was hoping you would host at your place. All the fun, none of the cleanup :)

Back