Water Water everywhere.....

Davidglen77 said:
I totally accept your correction, however most water pipes in Argentina are not iron. They are copper (in high end buildings) or the entire pipe is lead itself and soldered with lead at it's joints.
The old Romans used pure lead pipes (the metal itself is actually of little or no consequence) what counts is the amount of carbondioxide in the water. CO2 binds calcite (limestone, CaCO3) which is released when the water flows and the CO2 bubbles out of it.

You can easily check if your tubes are lined with calcite: If your water kettle has a chalky sediment, pipes older than 6 months are lined with calcite - the older the pipes, the more calcite.

jp said:
Bought a filter that connects to the tap for around 300 pesos which is good for 10,000 litres. Tastes fine & its lot cheaper than bottled water.

What's the brand and where did you buy it? I'm sick of lugging liters of water for my bottled-loving woman :p

Please help me find evian or aqua panna
There are several other crucial items, but will start with the basics first.
And if I do not and will not drink Dansai or the other garbage made in the USA and have not since I was old enough to understand about water supply and the ease and the ability to manipulate before i was able to drive and before there was these other "water" brands. Please do not think I am drinking the daily requirement here. Unless distilled sour mash classifies as a pure source, which i have been believing over the other outlandish stated facts governments state.
Funny, think what a barrel of oil goes for and compare it to the cost of filling it with a nice pure sourced water, or a distilled liquor albeit a good or poor quality.

No one seems to give a crap about any health issue in Buenos Aires. That´s another subject I´ll start a new thread on.

Regards water here. To me it tastes horrible. I am constantly drinking this kind of water both in and out of the country and I really appreciate nice tasting water.

To those who view us as some kind of heath nut, look, it´s taste first ok. I don´t want a glass of plastic tasting liquid, I don´t want swimming pool water. I just want a normal glass of water. For me, if it tastes bad then it´s probably not much good in the long run, not that I worry much about that. Now, if you can´t taste the difference then your taste buds are probably just blocked up with sugar, I respect your freedom to do that.

The problem with the water here is there are bits floating in it and it´s got loads of chlorine in it. It also tastes like it might have some flouride in it.

To fix the bits floating in it my local girlfriend uses a filter attached to the tap, didn´t cost much, maybe a bit more convienient as a Brita but maybe(?) not as good. The next thing we do is leave the water uncovered in the fridge overnight (in a glass container), this lets the chorline evaporate overnight. Compare the difference between this and straight out the tap and you see the difference.

If you want to take it further as a test, try this. Put some water in the freezer until the first half inch has frozen, then take it out. Discard that first frozen bit - it contains many of the impurities. Now that´s a nice glass of water.

If you think this is unnatural you´re right, an unnatural response to living in an unnatural environment.
If you want to go native and take up smoking & drinking to 2am washed down with a postre, go for it.

I mostly don´t worry about it and often drink waterever. I drink out of washroom basins where no local would. But I think if you got your own place and you´re here for a while it´s worth a bit of effort. If I knew I´d be here for 2 years or more I´d get a reverse osmosis unit and all sorts but that´s a lot of cash for not that much gain.

Wherever you go the water will be impure. It's why I only drink Vodka, which is normally triple-filtered.

Damn - someone beat me to the punch :) lol I was about to say something similar myself - of course water is always potentially dangerous to drink - you never know what is in it - but once it becomes a 12 year old single malt whisky THEN you know it is finally safe to drink - so if in doubt drink scotch - its what I do :) Is it more expensive? Definitely :) BUT - not only does it taste better - it also very quickly gets you to the point where you stop worrying about all the other bad stuff in your life too :)

Back