We All Need A Pharmacists Assistence To Buy Aspirin Now

LostinBA

Registered
Never one to complain ;-), I was shocked (not so much shocked, more like totally annoyed again) upon visiting Farmacity earlier today to buy some aspirin only to learn that those genuii in the city administration have passed a new law. The row nearest to the prescription counter, the one that holds the cold medications, aspirin, tylenol, decongestants and many other products openly sold over the counter in every country of the world has been roped off. To enter and select goods, you have to ask a pharmacist to assist you.

When I mentioned how utterly stupid this was, I got the same standard "I know I'm right even though I have never traveled or lived in another country" answer that the portenos love to give....according to the pharmacist, in other countries one has to have a prescription for these products. One has to have a prescription for an aspirin??!?! Where?

Ah, the life and times of living in BA. They do it to themselves....sigh!

All non.prescription drugs must be "dispensed! by a clerk!! to avoid abuse of medications or sales to minors? as well as condoms?
Next will be vitamins and mouth wash. :D .

Had to sign a paper and provide DNIs to bring my kid (12) to watch Arnold's (PG16) latest movie.

Big Brother is watching...us watching Arnold. :eek:

Never one to complain ;-), I was shocked (not so much shocked, more like totally annoyed again) upon visiting Farmacity earlier today to buy some aspirin only to learn that those genuii in the city administration have passed a new law. The row nearest to the prescription counter, the one that holds the cold medications, aspirin, tylenol, decongestants and many other products openly sold over the counter in every country of the world has been roped off. To enter and select goods, you have to ask a pharmacist to assist you.

When I mentioned how utterly stupid this was, I got the same standard "I know I'm right even though I have never traveled or lived in another country" answer that the portenos love to give....according to the pharmacist, in other countries one has to have a prescription for these products. One has to have a prescription for an aspirin??!?! Where?

Ah, the life and times of living in BA. They do it to themselves....sigh!

Given how easy it is to get what are prescription drugs in every other country over the counter, this is pretty bizarre.

It's not like they follow the rules anyway.

I sometimes take Advil (200mg) - ran out, so went to buy some ibuprofen. When I got home I realized the pharmacist gave me 600mg tablets... which is prescription strength and definitely more than I needed. I cut them in half, but still....

I wouldn't be surprised if you can get a lot of things at the pharmacy if you just ask. Of course the asking part is kind of annoying... and slow. :p

I managed R&D for 25 years in the pharmaeceutical & diagnostics businesses. FYI if aspirin were developed today, it would be a prescription drug, even in the 81mg children's strength. Likewise as alluded above, ibuprofen in high strengths requires prescription worldwide and good old acetaminophen/paracetamol (Tylenol) can cause severe liver damage. Just so's you know. So perhaps the new rules here are not completely 100% stupid & illogical. (99% maybe yes, 100% no :D ).
- Jim.

I managed R&D for 25 years in the pharmaeceutical & diagnostics businesses. FYI if aspirin were developed today, it would be a prescription drug, even in the 81mg children's strength. Likewise as alluded above, ibuprofen in high strengths requires prescription worldwide and good old acetaminophen/paracetamol (Tylenol) can cause severe liver damage. Just so's you know. So perhaps the new rules here are not completely 100% stupid & illogical. (99% maybe yes, 100% no :D).
- Jim.
what would you recommend for a headache?

Aspirin can be dangerous if taken by pregnant or lactating women as it can cause hemorrhage in the fetus/infant. Even verruca treatments containing salicylic acid are contra-indicated in such cases.

Back