We All Need A Pharmacists Assistence To Buy Aspirin Now

I managed R&D for 25 years in the pharmaeceutical & diagnostics businesses. FYI if aspirin were developed today, it would be a prescription drug, even in the 81mg children's strength. Likewise as alluded above, ibuprofen in high strengths requires prescription worldwide and good old acetaminophen/paracetamol (Tylenol) can cause severe liver damage. Just so's you know. So perhaps the new rules here are not completely 100% stupid & illogical. (99% maybe yes, 100% no :D).
- Jim.

So you recommend the same procedures be adopted in your home country?

I managed R&D for 25 years in the pharmaeceutical & diagnostics businesses. FYI if aspirin were developed today, it would be a prescription drug, even in the 81mg children's strength. Likewise as alluded above, ibuprofen in high strengths requires prescription worldwide and good old acetaminophen/paracetamol (Tylenol) can cause severe liver damage. Just so's you know. So perhaps the new rules here are not completely 100% stupid & illogical. (99% maybe yes, 100% no :D).
- Jim.

My mother was the Chief Pharmacist for AARP. She says the same thing.

FYI. Daily use of as little as two aspirins a day over a long term can lead to Macular Degeneration which can lead to blindness. You can google it (Aspirin & Macular Degeneration).
Be that as it may, farmacity is a chain like McDonald's. The sales people follow strict orders, and do as they're told. Walk into any Mom & Pop neighborhood drug store & they will sell you everything but the kitchen sink without a prescription. Those people are more interested in the bottom line, i.e. making a sale. For that reason i never go to farmacity. I find it pretentious & overpriced.

When I was a nursing assistant during my military service (best job ever btw, even the highly ranked soldiers are cautious with you), I used to be the first one, with the medic of course, to go pick up the guys who just committed suicide (mostly to get thrown out).
One day, one of those 18 y/o guys had taken two full boxes of aspirin (maybe 24 or more in total), likely thinking it wouldn't be harmful... He was quite wrong (can make a hole in your stomach).

After a triple bypass, though, I'm on two baby aspirins a day (among other meds).

- Jim.

VERY good points of which many people are unaware BUT . . . . drugs being dangerous or damaging does not prevent them being prescribed anyway. Pharmaceuticals (well medical treatment including Rx drugs) are the third most common cause of death in the United States, right in there after heart trouble and cancer.

One more comment (I can´t resist). One major cause of headache is dehydration. (of course it can be stress, etc.) but you might try increasing water if you need an aspirin very often. Just a suggestion. It´s what I do.

Never one to complain ;-), I was shocked (not so much shocked, more like totally annoyed again) upon visiting Farmacity earlier today to buy some aspirin only to learn that those genuii in the city administration have passed a new law. The row nearest to the prescription counter, the one that holds the cold medications, aspirin, tylenol, decongestants and many other products openly sold over the counter in every country of the world has been roped off. To enter and select goods, you have to ask a pharmacist to assist you.

When I mentioned how utterly stupid this was, I got the same standard "I know I'm right even though I have never traveled or lived in another country" answer that the portenos love to give....according to the pharmacist, in other countries one has to have a prescription for these products. One has to have a prescription for an aspirin??!?! Where?

Ah, the life and times of living in BA. They do it to themselves....sigh!

Have you tried to buy Advil Cold and Sinus or Benadryl in, say, New York City lately? In the cold aisle, you'll see photos of the products, which you have to bring to the pharmacy counter. There, you have to fill out a detailed testimonial, giving them everything but your fingerprints. As I recall, when I bought Advil in August, I could only get a certain amount within a specific timeframe.

The world is changing. Apparently the "unworldly" Argentine pharmacist is more aware of this than you are. I honestly don't mean to be rude or snide, but I get so frustrated with the smug superiority of foreigners here.

My local pharmacist here wouldn't even let me by Pediasure (ensure for kids, a shake meal replacement drink) when my boy was on hunger strike. She insisted it mgiht constipate him, even though he wasn't constipated. I had to walk a couple of kilometres to Farmacity where it's on the shelf. Sometimes pharmacists can be a little crazy...

Its a war between Pharmacies and kiosks and Supermarkets. Pharmacies wanted the monopoly of nonprescription medicines sales...!!

Back