we might transfer to BA but need advise ... PLEASE !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks dudester, you are right and I appreciate all you say. My husband has turned it down already and of course I want to kick myself but its too late to turn back. One day, for a holiday !!

"CABJ" said:
CABJ I am talking about the word negro in porteña. Which means something like someone from a slum.
And yes they are plenty of negros in Recoleta as it is in Capital
Given your definition of the word "negro" and, as we are in Argentina, you probably don't deserve to be labeled a "racist" in the strict sense of the word and I apologize if I drew the wrong conclusion when I read the following from your post: "It sure beats letting your kid and wife stay all
day in noisy, poluted Recoleta in a small 40 year old appartment
populated with cartoneros and negros"

If anyone were to say this in the US, they would be branded a racist, especially if they were a public figure: politician, actor, sports celebrity, etc. No explanation (or redefinition of the word) would be acceptable. If I said "I don't want my wife and kid to live in an area populated with Negroes" in the wrong neighborhood in any big US city, I might not get out alive. If Don Imus said it he would be off the radio for life (third strike for him). This statement would be unequivocally racist, period. A few years ago a white college professor in the US almost lost his job for using the word "Negro" in a classroom (or in the title of something he published). It's a very sensitive issue, even today. The United Negro College Fund still uses the term in their title, but that is THEIR perogtive. The more offensive version of the word is absolutely off limits to any white person and using it, even in private, can also cripple or end a career. Just ask Dog The Bounty Hunter. His son was dating a "woman of color" and they recorded Dog repeatedly using the "n word" in a telephone tirade which they released to the media. Dog's subsequent public groveling was not pretty, though it looks like it saved his career.

Buts it okay for you to attack the woman from Mendoza with nasty comments and putdowns because she dared post a simple ad here .

"monicabb" said:
Buts it okay for you to attack the woman from Mendoza with nasty comments and putdowns because she dared post a simple ad here .
Steve here at BAIN we have heard a lot of complaints about the ungrateful expatriates who call Argentina home.
To those who don't know what monicabb is talking about (especially since she didn't quote me in any way to support the notion that I "attacked" the woman from Mendoza), please go to the now locked topic "wannabe expats" and read it for yourselves.

You will learn that the woman "from Mendoza" is a actually a real estate professional who claims to have lived in the US for 40 years, and she actually denied that her post was an ad. If anyone can find any "putdowns" in my posts I'd like them to quote them here (in context, please). Her response to johnny speaks for itself...and inspired mine.

I wonder just how grateful expats are supposed to be (and for what) and to whom are we to show this gratitude? Certiainly not the Argentine women who hijack this forum to chastise or whine about us.

Steve I am not an Argentinian woman so do not chastise me on this forum like you have everyone else. You have tried your utmost to critisize me and many others with your daily comments all taken from this completely arrogant attitude. You have made rascist remarks against the people here and if anyone disagress with you within minutes you reply with childish responses,
GROW UP

"monicabb" said:
Steve I am not an Argentinian woman so do not chastise me on this forum like you have everyone else. You have tried your utmost to critisize me and many others with your daily comments all taken from this completely arrogant attitude. You have made rascist remarks against the people here and if anyone disagress with you within minutes you reply with childish responses,
GROW UP
Wa-wa-wawawa. That wasn't childish. It was infantile, but it was my genuine emotional response.

And I'm still waiting for you to quote me, wherever you are from. You sound like an Argentinian woman to me. Your posts (when they haven't been deleted by the moderator) were written in similar style to Viviana's. Is THAT racist?I hope you didn't find my thinking you are an Argentine woman to be offensive....
(This site does have a spell check feature, by the way.)

"LuLu_CT" said:
Hello all !!

I have been reading these blogs for a couple of hours already and still feel unsure. Great blogs by the way! We are a recently wed couple with an 8 month old baby living in Cape Town, South Africa. I am South African and my hubby is German. He has recently been offered a job transfer to BA and we have a few days to decide. We live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and apart from the crime and politics we are very spoilt, living on the slopes of table mountain with the sea right in front of us. We LOVE it here !! Being South African the crime in BA would not phase us at all being as street wise as one can be BUT is it the place for us? Where we live, the air is clean and we have exotic mountains, beaches minutes away. Is BA baby friendly? Are there really only parks? Is it really that polluted? Is it really that noisy? Would we find organic produce and household goods (very 'green' family) Any advise is hugely welcomed and appreciated. I have lived in Rome, Florence and Malaga (Spain) and all were great places to live. To make it easier for you ... we don't want to live in a chaotic, dirty, polluted, noisy city with druggies on every corner. We love nature and outdoor spaces and neighborhoods that are green and baby friendly.We also like fresh air :) I think the temptation for myself moving to BA would be to be in South America in general and close to such beautiful places, Patagonia for example BUT at the end of the day we must feel happy to be living in the city with our baby and this is what concerns us .... ok I am rambling. Please advise !!!!!!!!!! Thanks !!
if it aint broke.........................dont fix it!
You are having a postnatal romantic fantasy attack, LOL! thats normal but the grass really is not greener on the otherside of this fence.
Stay where you are and let baby and you enjoy all that healthy air while you can.
regards and kiss baby

"LuLu_CT" said:
Thanks dudester, you are right and I appreciate all you say. My husband has turned it down already and of course I want to kick myself but its too late to turn back. One day, for a holiday !!
Bravo for your hubbie. Starting up a company or adding to one here in Ar is the nightmare you would not want to live through. Come to enjoy and visit. But by all means stay far away for business advancement.

"monicabb" said:

As far as I remember, the nastiest comments were coming from the same IP as this woman from Mendoza. We have "Services Offered" section where people can post ads. And, frankly, I prefer these type of messages to be straightforward: "I own a restaurant and expats are welcome" instead of "We are helping expats to fight their personal hunger".By the way, there is "Report to administrator" link at the bottom of each message.
I see that Lulu_CT made up her mind, so there is no reason to continue all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back