Welcome to Venezuela

Gouchobob (sorry for the "testing like" message btw) :
What do you think of the "Arab Spring" and more precisely how would you describe Hosni Moubarak (for his "career" of course)?

jp said:
You don't actually. Venezuela has vast amounts of wealth, which are distributed incredibly unevenly throughout the country. The pie could treble in size, but if 90% of the wealth is controlled by 10% of the population - poverty will remain endemic.

Well the only people you can blame in Venezuela for Hugo are the same people that ran the place for the last 200 years before he arrived. With all that oil wealth more should have been done, they have no one to blame except themselves. That being said I don't think setting up of a authoritarian police state is the solution to past problems. If you look in the region there are a few example of countries that appear to be solving their problems by improving governance, encouraging economic growth to raise people out of poverty. I don't see it as the old system or Hugo Chavez and nothing in between.

I'm afraid this is just as applicable to your own position.

If you read my response above you will see I'm not an either or kind of guy. I think people who see the choice in only two ways are really missing the boat on what could be.

French jurist said:
Gouchobob (sorry for the "testing like" message btw) :
What do you think of the "Arab Spring" and more precisely how would you describe Hosni Moubarak (for his "career" of course)?

Don't have a lot of knowledge regarding Egypt. Moubarak has been around for a long time, in fact they have only had 3 leaders in the last 50 or 60 years. I believe Moubarak took over when number 2 was assassinated for basically making peace with Israel. I think he had overstayed his welcome, hopefully we will see a more democratic form of government emerge there. Egypt is an important country in the Arab world change there could have a lot of impact in the rest of the region.

French jurist said:
I forgot, GouchoBob's avatar is a famous US bandit from the 1930s.

Good catch. I really look nothing like him although I did have an uncle spend some time in prison during the same period for bank robbery. His handle was Natty Ned Parker. Jail cured him of wayward ways and I knew him latter in his life as a pretty nice guy.

gouchobob said:
... Jail cured him of wayward ways and I knew him latter in his life as a pretty nice guy.
Sic transit gloria mundi! :D

Back