Western Union money transfer

Do you not pay the solidarity rate (171) for international purchases? or is actually just the official (100) +30%?

If that is the case I'm about to go bananas as I thought you would be charge the solidarity rate...

I'll have to check!

The monthy amount is so small I was never concerned about it.

It's the only "international purchase" I've made using my Argentine credit card.

Last edited:
I'll have to check!

The monthy amount is so small I was never concerned about it.

I bought a small purchase on Amazon last year and I think I was charged the solidarity rate. I went to buy an amazon gift card as a test yesterday but my arg debit card kept getting declined. I had to call the bank and link my account to purchase internationally (I'm not sure why this is or why I didn't have to do this last year). Tomorrow I am going to try again and see how it goes.

Do you not pay the solidarity rate (171) for international purchases? or is actually just the official (100) +30%?

If that is the case I'm about to go bananas as I thought you would be charge the solidarity rate...

I have Netflix premuim at $7.87 USD a month. Add 30% and the total is $10.23.

My Argentine credit card summary shows a charge of $1097 pesos (for the billing cycle which ended on .September 24th).

That looks pretty close to the official rate of 100 plus 30%.

Western Union transfer fees for cash pick up are paid by the sender when the transfer is made.

The recipient should NOT have to pay anything when they pick up the funds.

I will be sending money to myself by WU, Just a bit puzzled why some folks have mentioned the fees of $10 for the first $100 transfer and than $5 fee for every $100. I read on another new post today for $900 the fee is $60 but I don't see that on my WU app.

£1000 GBP transfer fees are only 5.90 GBP that sounds pretty reasonable to me compared to all the hassle involved with exchanging money at Calle Florida.

Happy to be corrected, It's my first trip to Argentina.
Thanks!

I will be sending money to myself by WU, Just a bit puzzled why some folks have mentioned the fees of $10 for the first $100 transfer and than $5 fee for every $100. I read on another new post today for $900 the fee is $60 but I don't see that on my WU app.

£1000 GBP transfer fees are only 5.90 GBP that sounds pretty reasonable to me compared to all the hassle involved with exchanging money at Calle Florida.

Happy to be corrected, It's my first trip to Argentina.
Thanks!
£5.90 is correct you do no pay anything to pick the money up.

£5.90 is correct you do no pay anything to pick the money up.

Thank you, I also read here that the maximum cash pickup per transaction is 110k pesos? Now I am guessing some folks mentioned the fee of $5 is when they do smaller transfers. To minimise on fees for every £400 the fee would be 5.90 and that would be 104k pesos within the 110k limit. Hope that is allowed for cash pickup to self per transaction.

I’m not aware of there being any limit on what you can pick up provided they actually hVe the cash, if you walk into just any shop that says WU outside they’re not going to have that kind of money.
I’ve picked up £2000 before, you just have to go to a big WU, the one mentioned on here at monteivideo and Av. Cordoba has never failed me yet.

I’m not aware of there being any limit on what you can pick up provided they actually hVe the cash, if you walk into just any shop that says WU outside they’re not going to have that kind of money.
I’ve picked up £2000 before, you just have to go to a big WU, the one mentioned on here at monteivideo and Av. Cordoba has never failed me yet.

Thanks! Can you just initiate the transfer on your WU app while you are in Argentina and pick up cash as and when you need it? Hope WU app is not blocked/restricted in Argentina, on the app it says transfer is instant, I read here some folks mentioned it takes 2-3 working days, Not sure how long it would take.

I have Netflix premuim at $7.87 USD a month. Add 30% and the total is $10.23.

My Argentine credit card summary shows a charge of $1097 pesos (for the billing cycle which ended on .September 24th).

That looks pretty close to the official rate of 100 plus 30%.
Nice. I'm going to see what happens tomorrow when my card is ready.

Can you just initiate the transfer on your WU app while you are in Argentina and pick up cash as and when you need it?

Yes

Hope WU app is not blocked/restricted in Argentina, on the app it says transfer is instant,

I read here some folks mentioned it takes 2-3 working days, Not sure how long it would take.

The WU apps aren't blocked in Argentina. Nonetheless, I prefer using the Western Union website when making transfers.

Cash pickups should always be instant. Others may take "0 to 8 days" (accorfing to the website info).

PS for others making bank to bank transfers: My bank to bank transfers are almost always deposited very close to 6 pm the same day I make the transfer (if I do so early in the morning), but the WU website has always indicated that it could take up to four days when using a debit card and zero to eight days if sending the funds directly from a bank account in the US to a bank account in Argentina.

Back