Western Union money transfer

I wish I did. Did you actually try it?

Now I need my credit card again. Life in Argentina.
Have enough pesos for now. In a week or so I will send some via credit card.

I think the main issue is now you have to commit larger chunks of pesos at a time. I was doing weekly 400 usd or so amounts before.

Definitely less convenient and more costly but still the best option out there most likely.

I understand your point completely. I've been here since 2004. I'm not looking elsewhere. You have said nothing that I (and other long-timers here) haven't heard a thousand times before. It is just totally irrelevant.
Good for you but you don't own Argentina and it's very relevant to me. Seems you feel Western Union is obligated to give you as high a rate as possible. They're a private company providing an excellent service and making it possible for me to have a better retirement. Won't find me complaining about it.

Just checked and on XE Colombia gives 3767 to 1 USD but Western Union is only giving 3673.

No blue rate in Colombia -- if anything the only idiosyncratic thing there is banks hate effectivo and provide rates accordingly... You can kind of guess.

Add promo code "DIGITAL21" and your fees go away. All is right in the world again.
You're a genius!

I transferred 500 to my wife's account and 500 to my account (to see if the code worked multiple times and to multiple accounts).

No fee, either transfer.

There is one problem. Usually I get the pesos in one or two days. For theses transfers, the money won't be available until next Tuesday or Wednesday (it's usually available the evening of the day that they tell you it will be available). These are extra pesos, so my plan is to buy the dollars back at the blue rate. That's a long time to wait. A lot can happen with the blue in a week with the election less than a month away.

I understand that you're upset that Western Union raised its fee. But let's say you're in Colombia. You're getting the official exchange rate there minus fees. So $1000 USD gets you $1000 USD worth of Colombian Pesos minus the fee. In Argentina you're getting over $1940 USD worth of pesos minus the fee. How is that possibly a bad deal even if they charge a higher fee?

youre-new-here-arent-you.jpg

You're a genius!

I transferred 500 to my wife's account and 500 to my account (to see if the code worked multiple times and to multiple accounts).

No fee, either transfer.

There is one problem. Usually I get the pesos in one or two days. For theses transfers, the money won't be available until next Tuesday or Wednesday (it's usually available the evening of the day that they tell you it will be available). These are extra pesos, so my plan is to buy the dollars back at the blue rate. That's a long time to wait. A lot can happen with the blue in a week with the election less than a month away.

Just for another data point, the transfer time for me is showing as next day, like it usually does. We'll see if it actually posts. They might have just sent your transfers for review if you don't usually transfer to your wife's account (or vice versa).

Back