Western Union money transfer

The rule with pesos: only buy them when you need to buy something in pesos.
Exactly!

I only transfer what I need to pay my monthly credit card balance in full, along with just enough extra to get cash (about 8K) to buy bottled water (8 x 20 ltr garrafas), LP gas (2 x 10 kg garrafas), and about 4 kilos of beef (always cuts of aguja).

There is certainly a devaluation on the horizon. Thread carefully with pesos for the summer.

Exactly!

I only transfer what I need to pay my monthly credit card balance in full, along with just enough extra to get cash (about 8K) to buy bottled water (8 x 20 ltr garrafas), LP gas (2 x 10 kg garrafas), and about 4 kilos of beef (always cuts of aguja).

I couldn't do the same for a few reasons. First is obviously that I don't have Argentine cards. And then even if I did have a card it appears that they only give low limits between 70-100k. That's simply not enough. It appears that my only have to grab cash as much as I can. And since the rates appear to be dropping, I might have to buy more now.

The transfer is relatively quick. More or less a day to get the pesos here. Just wait til you take one of those 25% adjustments in the pants.

Exactly!

It's a gamble. Paying rent this month was a win at $215/$1, but paying for Christmas gifts was a loss at $199/$1.

You still come out ahead I believe by not saving in pesos even when it reaches a good price, the only exception I can think of being those who sold USD for $200 ARS in April 2020.

We'll have to see how the market feels on Monday following the budget failing to pass and the impacts that has on the IMF negotiations.

Back