Western Union money transfer

Just a reminder that the current promo code is DIGITAL0FEE (with the number ZERO, not the letter O).
I also had the case where I cut and pasted the code and there was a space included at the end, and it wasn't accepted. It has to be exact, with no spaces before or after.

Nor have my high transfer fees. Is anyone else seeing the same low fees that Steve is getting?

Just a couple of quick questions:

In which country were you living when you opened your WU account?

What do you see in the navigation bar of your browser when you log in?

I was living in the UK at the time and the url in my browser reads:
westernunion.com/gb/en/web/user/login

Just a reminder that the current promo code is DIGITAL0FEE (with the number ZERO, not the letter O).

The Promo code is Applied on the bottom left hand Space ,or on the right hand side where it says Apply Promo code under the transfer amounts

Just a couple of quick questions:

In which country were you living when you opened your WU account?

What do you see in the navigation bar of your browser when you log in?

I was living in the UK at the time and the url in my browser reads:
westernunion.com/gb/en/web/user/login
Living in Argentina, but opened account in US.

Logged in or not, the page shows me the same fees.

I put spaces in the url, otherwise WU changes it.

If you are living in Argentina and have a DNI/CUIT and are not making income declarations to AFIP, at some point the transfers (even if you pick up the funds in person or send them to someone else for cash pickup) might attract AFIP's attention if the total exceeds $150.000 ARS per month.

If you need more it might be helpful to send to different person less than 150k (where does this number come from?) or even less and/or use cache pickup with your foreign ID. I don't think that they track foreign IDs, just CUIL/CUIT and also don't care how much you send to different persons – at least I can't imagine that WU shares this information.

Logged in or not, the page shows me the same fees.

You may try a different browser and or a private browser session (incognito) to bypass cookies set in your browser.

Anyway, promo is not working for me neither, but I send money from EU, fees are less expensive 1.90EUR bank-to-bank or 4.90 cash-pickup.

Western Union has a limit of $5000 USD per transfer.

There are other limits too. But I am not sure, 4 times 5k within 4 days ore something like that. Once my bank/visa rejected the transaction multiple times and the support told me that I should try again after 4 days. I changed the card limit for "cash withdrawal" as this is what a WU transaction gets classified (not as online payment as I thought) and then it worked.

Last edited:
If you need more it might be helpful to send to different person less than 150k (where does this number come from?)

I found it on the website of AFIP earlier this year. It was the threshold (aka deduction) above which income taxes were payable by individuals (who are employed).

According to this article, it may have already been increased to $170.000 ARS, and on January 1 2022, it will increase to $225.936,97:

It makes sense to me not to transfer more on a monthly basis, but the "fact" that the funds (at least if sent by Western Union) are "labeled" as family assistance might make a difference. If I understand correctly, funds send by family members are not taxable here.

Sending money to yourself in excess of these amount, however, might raise some questions, so it may indeed be "more helpful" to send it to a different person, as long as that doesn't create any tax liability for them.

PS to my previous post:

Depositing funds into a bank account doesn't necessarily make them taxable. Of course it depends on the source of the funds, but eventually the bank is likely to (at the least) ask about the source of the funds, especially if the deposits are excesive (based on the information you gave the bank when you opened the account).

One member recently reported that he had been sending relatively small amounts by Western Union (about $200 USD per month?) to a friend's bank account and the bank blocked the transfers. I haven't seen a follow up post with additional information.

Back