Western Union money transfer

I asked why the rush because of the insidences of long lines at WU
In Argentina, long lines are not the exclusive province of Western Union. And it seems like some of these branches have long lines every day. I don't do cash pick-up, but the one I pass sometimes near Avenida de Mayo and Florida also often has long lines. I think they just do a lot of business. Plus, Western Union has other services, and the branches are also Pago Fácil branches (Western Union owns Pago Fácil). I'm sure everyone's not there just to change dollars to pesos.

In Argentina, long lines are not the exclusive province of Western Union.
This is true, I joke to my husband "Waiting in line is your guys' national sport, not soccer." WU, the bank, the doctor's office, the grocery store, Farmacity, etc. always lines.

That being said, the Casa Central is something else, it's about 50 mins from the door, more if you're in the street last time I waited. I like to call it the "Embajada de Brasil" since it's 80% Brazilians whenever I have to go. However, last time I finally tried the one around the corner on Parana, it was fast, no line, and the cashier's drawer was filled with stacks of 1000s.

This is true, I joke to my husband "Waiting in line is your guys' national sport, not soccer." WU, the bank, the doctor's office, the grocery store, Farmacity, etc. always lines.
That's the thing I hate the most about my beautiful country, and there's plenty to hate, but that long line thing is life consuming. It all comes down to people paying with different debit or credit cards, splitting the payment, asking for what kind of discount they can claim and so on, but man, every single transaction takes 20 min. Miss so much the UK and how fast and efficient was to just buy something and not expending half of my day on that.

GBP at 350 in WU btw.

That being said, the Casa Central is something else, it's about 50 mins from the door, more if you're in the street last time I waited. I like to call it the "Embajada de Brasil" since it's 80% Brazilians whenever I have to go. However, last time I finally tried the one around the corner on Parana, it was fast, no line, and the cashier's drawer was filled with stacks of 1000s.
I'm curious why you don't just transfer directly to the bank? It's so easy.

That's the thing I hate the most about my beautiful country, and there's plenty to hate, but that long line thing is life consuming. It all comes down to people paying with different debit or credit cards, splitting the payment, asking for what kind of discount they can claim and so on, but man, every single transaction takes 20 min. Miss so much the UK and how fast and efficient was to just buy something and not expending half of my day on that.

GBP at 350 in WU btw.
The line that bothers me the most is the line for the ATM. At the bank branch near me, there's nearly always one ATM out of service, for starters, leaving only two working ATMs. So the lines can be long. And everyone is soooo slow! In the US, if someone is at the ATM for 30 seconds, that's a long time. Here, it's common for someone to be at the machine for up to ten minutes! It especially makes me crazy when they finally take their card.... and then put it back in!

It makes my wife angry (because it makes her nervous), but I often go to the ATM at night when there are no lines. In the winter there're always a few people sleeping in by the ATMs, which can make you a little nervous, but I've never had a problem (knock on wood).

The line that bothers me the most is the line for the ATM.
Guess that one is a worldwide issue if you ask me, never spent more than 5 min max with ATMs, but people in front of me always looks like they're browsing the web or checking instagram in them...will never get how on earth they can spend that much time doing something as trivial as withdrawing some money. One of the reason I go cashless since forever, thank god for mercado pago here.

Back