Western Union money transfer

That's the thing I hate the most about my beautiful country, and there's plenty to hate, but that long line thing is life consuming. It all comes down to people paying with different debit or credit cards, splitting the payment, asking for what kind of discount they can claim and so on, but man, every single transaction takes 20 min. Miss so much the UK and how fast and efficient was to just buy something and not expending half of my day on that.

GBP at 350 in WU btw.
Argentina is the Disney World of Argentina

I figure half the locals were refinancing their house at the atm. wtf are the doing at the machine for so long? It takes me 3 min to get cash and leave the machine....

same thing at the line in Jumbo... someone goes to the register with nothing in their hands and then they start talking and they cajero punches the register for 20 min, the person hands over a stack of bills,10 min later they're finally done. Wouldn't it be easier to put a kiosk for self service at the front of the store?

Based on Red Possums summary and some wait times the past few weeks, I have a few questions...
1. If I do a cash pickup using debit card as a 1st time user from Western Union at the beginning of the month, is there any risk to requesting it same day and the transfer not going through same day?
2. If I have to pickup on a Friday at the beginning of the month, should I expect an hour wait?
3. How long does WU keep/allocate your money if you request cash pickup 5 days before you intend to actually pick it up? I surmise the biggest risk here is depreciation?

Thanks for any help.

Has anyone else received this error? If so, how did you fix it? I'm not physically in the US now.
I've transferred this year around 16k (debit to bank in Argentina) and I was just doing a simple 20USD transfer to Argentina, and this came up.

Attachments

• IMG_6178.PNG
    IMG_6178.PNG
    234.1 KB · Views: 15
Has anyone else received this error? If so, how did you fix it? I'm not physically in the US now.
I've transferred this year around 16k (debit to bank in Argentina) and I was just doing a simple 20USD transfer to Argentina, and this came up.
I just tried again with my usual debit card, and it did go through (the previous attempt was made with a new debit card).

I'm curious why you don't just transfer directly to the bank? It's so easy.

It makes my wife angry (because it makes her nervous), but I often go to the ATM at night when there are no lines. In the winter there're always a few people sleeping in by the ATMs, which can make you a little nervous, but I've never had a problem (knock on wood).
I don't send dollars until there's things we need to buy/spend money and transfers to bank have been taking up to 3 business days lately

I also hate the lines at the ATMs. Last night I went to get 5K (less than $17 these days) and a giant "the amount you have requested isn't available from this machine at this time" error popped up. Signs of a healthy economy, ATMs don't even have $20 in them anymore. 🙃

I don't send dollars until there's things we need to buy/spend money and transfers to bank have been taking up to 3 business days lately

I also hate the lines at the ATMs. Last night I went to get 5K (less than $17 these days) and a giant "the amount you have requested isn't available from this machine at this time" error popped up. Signs of a healthy economy, ATMs don't even have $20 in them anymore. 🙃
I would say they are signs of an incompetent and indifferent bank culture ....not the economy ..... customer service isn't even on their radar......neither are functioning systems.

I would say they are signs of an incompetent and indifferent bank culture ....not the economy ..... customer service isn't even on their radar......neither are functioning systems.
Another reason(s) why I don't have a bank account and don't want one. Why subject myself to even more annoyances?

Based on Red Possums summary and some wait times the past few weeks, I have a few questions...
1. If I do a cash pickup using debit card as a 1st time user from Western Union at the beginning of the month, is there any risk to requesting it same day and the transfer not going through same day?
2. If I have to pickup on a Friday at the beginning of the month, should I expect an hour wait?
3. How long does WU keep/allocate your money if you request cash pickup 5 days before you intend to actually pick it up? I surmise the biggest risk here is depreciation?

Thanks for any help.

I think you have 90 days to pick it up. You could likely cancel it prior to pickup if the exchange rate increases or keep it if the rate drops.
I always did bank to bank where you only have a tiny window to cancel.

I think you have 90 days to pick it up. You could likely cancel it prior to pickup if the exchange rate increases or keep it if the rate drops.
I always did bank to bank where you only have a tiny window to cancel.

They don't refund the fee when you cancel. (thats if you paid the fee in the first place due to no discount code etc)

Back