Western Union money transfer

I'm realising now that every WU office seems to offer a completely different service, some good, some awful.

Not all WU agents have the same degree of affiliation. For example, PagoFacil, that used to belong to Macri family, is now directly owned by Western Union. Western Union integrated some PagoFacil technologies after they bought it.

I guess, a mom-and-pop Papeleria with a Western Union sign does not have the same level of integration and they need to verify everything by making phone calls.

Requirements to pickup cash @ a Western Union outlet:

1) original passport
2) mtcn ( provided by W.U )number
3) photocopy of first page of your passport

That's all I've ever needed...
No phone calls,Nada...

If you are unable to pickup larger sums of money from your local Western Union branch,try the main Western Union location ,downtown Montevideo (esq. Cordoba) 825.The D line stops at Callao ,then a 5 minute walk. They have 10 windows open!
But....be prepared for stacks of $100's....bring a wheelbarrow....! Lol
And there's a very small, little WU/Pago place about 10-20 yards or so north on Montevideo on the same side of the street. I was there a few days ago and FWIW got a mix of $1,000 notes, $500s and $100s. I imagine this small place runs out of bills later in the day, but until it does it might be quicker than the long line on the corner.

For a really good time and in case you decide to give up living' and go shopping instead, located inside a DISCO supermarket, try this WU locale on Uriburu 835 - Recoleta Capital Federal, Capital Federal 1114 Low traffic street, friendly chica to handle your claim, you can walk around in the market with bulging pockets until you're ready to hit the street.

Request everyone to share good and bad experiences en different W.U kiosks, on this thread to help everyone be safe and go to the right kiosk and avoid the bad ones.

I've used the one on Armenia 2109, Buenos Aires, corner of Armenia and Guatemala in Palermo, it almost always has 3 people behind the counter and is fairly efficient.

Has anyone sent money out of Argentina since the currency controls? How does that work now?

Today I went to pick up the cash at Montevideo/Cordoba shop. I was there at 5:00pm and there was a very long line. I guess it's Monday and people were there to pay the bills. I waited for one hour. The lady at the service counter was nice and polite. I only needed to show my passport and the transfer number. And she asked me the name of the sender and how much was the sent amount. No other questions. She gave me a bunch of
nice and clean 1000 Pesos bills which made it easy to carry them back home.

Today I went to pick up the cash at Montevideo/Cordoba shop. I was there at 5:00pm and there was a very long line. I guess it's Monday and people were there to pay the bills. I waited for one hour. The lady at the service counter was nice and polite. I only needed to show my passport and the transfer number. And she asked me the name of the sender and how much was the sent amount. No other questions. She gave me a bunch of
nice and clean 1000 Pesos bills which made it easy to carry them back home.

This this one have privacy screens? Everyone I have been to so far is wide open!

Back