Western Union money transfer

You can take your dollars here and sell them locally at 282.
You can transfer them by WU and get pesos at 280 (plus transfer fees)
There is almost no difference in exchange rates.
Factoring in those transfer fees gives you an effective transfer rate of 266.71. That's quite a large difference from 282
And again, people who can reliably predict movements in currency prices probably should trade forex for living, rather than trying to optimize timing and amounts of the WU transfers.
I don't understand why you're saying this. Who are you responding to?

Changing the subject a bit...wondering if anyone can give insight as to when a new WU free code might appear? Is it typical for there to be a many day gap without one? I'm a newbie so any insight would be appreciated as we're doing some home construction which has us feeling like we're bleeding money at the moment...I happen to be in US at the moment so I can go to Walgreens and just pay the $8 fee if necessary but of course living in Argentina, I feel like every dollar counts;). thanks!
This is the longest we have been codeless.

Factoring in those transfer fees gives you an effective transfer rate of 266.71. That's quite a large difference from 282

Yes, but it is a different story. You are unhappy about WU transfer fees, not the gap in the exchange rates. Are we analyzing WU pricing policies?

I don't understand why you're saying this. Who are you responding to?
Sorry, I just mentioned it before, I believe. Every time I look at this thread and see people giving advices on when it is the right time to transfer, I think
these guys could make millions on the forex market :)

This is the longest we have been codeless.
😣 Do you think it is related to the recent NY Times article? I wonder if the fact that they mentioned WU specifically in the article has made some kind of impact (meaning WU is now more aware of the way we are all using/relying on their free codes).

😣 Do you think it is related to the recent NY Times article? I wonder if the fact that they mentioned WU specifically in the article has made some kind of impact (meaning WU is now more aware of the way we are all using/relying on their free codes).
I don't think so. They have to have visibility to code usage and I'm sure a billion args with us bank accounts are using the service.

It was good while it lasted.

I don't think so. They have to have visibility to code usage and I'm sure a billion args with us bank accounts are using the service.

It was good while it lasted.
So you think it's the end? I'm curious for how long the free codes existed? And do you all think it makes sense to just send myself or my husband a bunch with the cheaper in store rates while I'm in US?

Yes, but it is a different story. You are unhappy about WU transfer fees, not the gap in the exchange rates. Are we analyzing WU pricing policies?
You're talking semantics. With one I get 266, with the other I get 282. That difference is enough for me to walk up to Florida and sell to an arbolito. If the prices are close enough, I'll do a transfer for the convenience factor, but in this case, they are not.

It's all academic in my case right now, because I was lucky enough to buy a couple month's worth of pesos before the dollar dropped.

Maybe there's a career there for me in forex trading?

Cheers!

And do you all think it makes sense to just send myself or my husband a bunch with the cheaper in store rates while I'm in US?
Have you done it before? How much money are you comfortable to bring to a local liquor store that has a WU terminal?

So you think it's the end? I'm curious for how long the free codes existed? And do you all think it makes sense to just send myself or my husband a bunch with the cheaper in store rates while I'm in US?
Who can say about the codes? Before sending with WU store rates, you should look into Moneygram, especially if you have an account to transfer to here in Argentina. Debit card to Argentine bank is $2 fee for any amount.

Have you done it before? How much money are you comfortable to bring to a local liquor store that has a WU terminal?
I have done it before and I can do it at Walgreens in the super safe suburb I am in with my debit card. It is done with a cashier too not a terminal.

Back