Western Union money transfer

How do most expats get USD cash into the country? Is it only what they can cross the border with when they return from America? Or can you withdraw USD cash at ATMs in nearby countries and then return to BA?

How do most expats get USD cash into the country? Is it only what they can cross the border with when they return from America? Or can you withdraw USD cash at ATMs in nearby countries and then return to BA?

I’ve used Western Union to pickup USD while traveling. In some countries you can select USD as the pickup method. I've done it in Peru without issues. Uruguay also has the option to pickup in USD, and I’ll probably try it in a couple weeks. I wouldn’t travel specifically to pickup USD this way due to the cost, but it’s an added bonus.

I’ve used Western Union to pickup USD while traveling. In some countries you can select USD as the pickup method. I've done it in Peru without issues. Uruguay also has the option to pickup in USD, and I’ll probably try it in a couple weeks. I wouldn’t travel specifically to pickup USD this way due to the cost, but it’s an added bonus.

In your experience a WU transfer to Colonia , can be picked up in 100 dollar bills , and is transferred on the spot . Or takes hours , days? . Also can handle transfers in the thousands of dollars without problems...?

The WU fee is 6,9 % for bank to bank and 8,9 % for Bank to Cash pickup..? Pretty steep compared to Moneygram..!

The WU fee is 6,9 % for bank to bank and 8,9 % for Bank to Cash pickup..? Pretty steep compared to Moneygram..!
One more reason to take advantage of the new credit card scheme. I used my VISA card to pay my monthly Hosp. Italiano bill the other day. That's a lot of cash "saved". I won't need WU and their fee as often or burn up dollars at a cueva.

Obviously if WU were to scrap the fees again that would be a game changer.

I did this a few times to Chile through Xoom and viatransfer years ago. Now I would try with WU or MG

When friends visit I transfer them money to bring me, or if I travel to neighboring countries I hit up an ATM or money exchange.

Inside Argentina there are digital caves, i.e. places you can receive physical dollars (or pesos) for digital ones. You can pay the cave via ACH, SWIFT, PayPal, Payoneer, Wise, Zelle, Cash App, USD stablecoin, etc. and they take around 5%-6% as commission, for PayPal it's higher due to their fees.

You can also transfer USD from your account abroad to an account here if you have a savings account in dollars without pesifying, but the fees vary widely by bank.

One more reason to take advantage of the new credit card scheme. I used my VISA card to pay my monthly Hosp. Italiano bill the other day. That's a lot of cash "saved". I won't need WU and their fee as often or burn up dollars at a cueva.

Obviously if WU were to scrap the fees again that would be a game changer.

I was checking this morning and visa gives $308.07 assuming you have a 2% markup by your bank which is negligible compared to WU with fees, but compared to s blue of 352 it's a pretty big difference.

I was checking this morning and visa gives $308.07 assuming you have a 2% markup by your bank which is negligible compared to WU with fees, but compared to s blue of 352 it's a pretty big difference.
Sorry, how does one check what rate visa gives?

When friends visit I transfer them money to bring me, or if I travel to neighboring countries I hit up an ATM or money exchange.

Inside Argentina there are digital caves, i.e. places you can receive physical dollars (or pesos) for digital ones. You can pay the cave via ACH, SWIFT, PayPal, Payoneer, Wise, Zelle, Cash App, USD stablecoin, etc. and they take around 5%-6% as commission, for PayPal it's higher due to their fees.

You can also transfer USD from your account abroad to an account here if you have a savings account in dollars without pesifying, but the fees vary widely by bank.

True indeed, though USAA puts me in a slightly better light.

Back