Western Union money transfer

Just sent myself $200 via the WU mobile app at the rate of 1193 = 238.600 pesos. As I type this, CCL is down 1.6% to 1164 and blue promedio is down 2.6% to 1095, so it seemed to me a good time to jump on the WU rate as it's almost 100 pesos better than blue at the moment. The fees today for a $200 transfer were $13.99 for funding with a credit card, and $8.99 for funding with a debit card, bank account, or Google Pay. I used Google Pay, so grand total today including WU fee was $208.99 for 238.600 pesos, whereas $200 might have netted me 219.000-ish at a cueva.

I've had nothing but good experiences so far using the app, I have it set up for quick login via biometrics (fingerprint) and I like that I can fund the transfer using Google Pay (which does not appear as a funding option for me when I log in to the website). Today I funded with a credit card (to earn miles) and used Google Pay to avoid paying the normal WU credit card fee. I have one particular credit card from Capital One that doesn't process or treat WU transactions as a "cash advance," while all of my other credit cards (including a second card from Capital One) do and will normally charge me a cash advance fee on the backend after the transaction posts. Not sure why this particular credit card doesn't, but if I can earn miles and pay the same amount as I would with a debit card, it seems like a win to me.

Here's a pic from 3:30pm this afternoon at WU located at Perú 139, between Adolfo Alsina and Hipólito Yrigoyen, near Plaza de Mayo. Waited in line three minutes max and there was no one in line when I left. Last time I was here was also a late Thursday afternoon and the line was similar (i.e. non-existent). Lots of cashiers and windows open. This is the one I normally come to and haven't encountered any issues with withdrawal limits, and normally receive the entire amount in 1.000 peso notes (which I prefer). Today was the first time they gave me some small bills; I received 200.000 in 1.000 peso notes and 38.600 in 200 peso notes. The cashier said she didn't have any more 1.000 peso notes and it wasn't a big enough deal for me to haggle over it. Already burned through most of the 200 peso notes this afternoon on taxis and dinner anyways.

20240111_1522.jpg

Yes, Rich One, but those things don't have anything to do with the rate.

Using WU website, sending from US bank using debit card, to Argentine bank ($1500), commission $48.99 (3.26%)

Yes, Rich One, but those things don't have anything to do with the rate.

Using WU website, sending from US bank using debit card, to Argentine bank ($1500), commission $48.99 (3.26%)

Thanks, great commision rate, just wanted to figure out why my commision rate is so high..! about 6%. Thought perhaps a lower rate granted when using the app. However the amount I transfer is smaller..!

Back