Western Union money transfer

Thanks, that’s the main issue for me since I plan to make large withdrawals to save on multiple transaction fees and get it done in one trip. Thanks again for the WU location and info. I’m so tempted to transfer the money now since I don’t know how long this rate would last, but then it’s been ticking up. I got to be patient and wait it out.

wait it up. it WONT go down before March as its PEAK time of holiday travel and everyone wants USD!

Thanks, that’s the main issue for me since I plan to make large withdrawals to save on multiple transaction fees and get it done in one trip. Thanks again for the WU location and info. I’m so tempted to transfer the money now since I don’t know how long this rate would last, but then it’s been ticking up. I got to be patient and wait it out.
UW. keep in mind that a maximum pay out in one transaction is 105K pesos, which is just a bit over a $1000. Sent you a PM, check your box.

Yes, it’s following the dollar "Contado con Liqui" [http://www.dolarhoy.com] with one day delay and a small margin probably due to averaging a three day period (similar to how Visa determines their rates). The liqui was at 84.7 yesterday but went down slightly today. So tomorrow’s rate would likely remain about the same as today...

A data point. I managed to initiate a WU using ACH bank to bank transfer with zero fees, from my US to my AR bank accounts. I still have not received the money since I initiated the transfer yesterday afternoon but the USD have been debited today as an ACH from my US checking account.

Here’s the process:
  1. Sign up for WU. Either online on their site (US or whatever country is the sender initiating the transfer from) or their app.
  2. If recipient is receiving the pesos to their bank account, use the CBU and fill in all the bank and personal data.
  3. Very importan, as already mentioned, under nationality one must put ARGENTINA. Otherwise the system yields an error message. No phone calls with Customer Service will resolve the issue — I tried and was told that the error message means that the system does not recognize the bank details as valid and they cannot manually override it. So regardless of nationality, put Argentina for the system to work. Sometimes you may have to delete the saved recipient info and reenter it again if you had received an error message previously. This seems to reset it and fix the problem.
  4. After I submitted the order it went into pending. I received an email immediately, saying the transaction will be reviewed and within 30 min I would either receive a confirmation or a call by an agent to ask me some questions. I did not wait and picked up the phone and called myself. Within 1 min I was on the phone with a very nice lady who asked me a few simple security questions and approved the transaction. Asked me if the transfer was for myself and what I needed the cash for -- I said yes and that it's to pay some bills. Done. She said that it would take up to 4 business days to receive the money but sometimes it arrives faster…but the deadline is 4 business days, she said.
  5. So hopefully, I’ll get the funds credited by the end of the week. Fingers crossed.

Update: Received the cash today directly into my Argentine bank account. It took EXACTLY 7 days from initiating the transfer to the money hitting the account. Yesterday, I received an email from WU/Pagofacil that the money has been passed onto the bank and it will be credited "shortly" -- well it took them 24hrs jaja. And there was also a link to the form Steve had already shared about registering so I can get future transfers. So if you do direct to bank transfer from a US bank to an AR bank be patient it will take 5 business days and the funds are usually credit around or little before 6pm on the 5th business day (budget an additional to be on the safe side). The funds are deposited through a payment clearance called "Interbanking Argentina" -- which is the equivalent of ACH in the US, so those are often MANUALLY cleared on both ends -- by WU and the recipient bank, one of the reasons for the massive delay.

Last edited:
No rule like this.

WU USA allows up to 50k USD to be transferred at a time. From Europe the max transaction is usually about 3,000 Euros.
Still, I am not aware of any rules the limit how much one can receive via a direct bank deposit or pagofacil but I would personally not try to send more than 300,000 pesos at a time. Otherwise you can get flagged. Again this is just a personal take on what I have read but 300k seems to be the limit most ARG banks put on daily cash withdrawers. YMMV.

Back