Western Union money transfer

I've made lots of transfers from the UK, but I always get someone else to transfer the money for me. I'm not sure whether you can transfer money to yourself if that's what you want to do because I haven't tried it.

The person making the transfer can pay via bank account, debit card, etc, via the website. But as far as I'm aware you can only pick it up in cash, there's no option to receive the money in a bank account here when sending pounds.

I've sent it several times to myself with no issues. But similarly have never managed to send to a bank account, it's an option on the app that doesn't go through, and isn't offered as an option on the website.

The app works fine for me to send for cash pickup, only caveat is that I used the account and the app before I came to Argentina.

The transfer that you folks helped me with night before last is my friend's savings account. According to her view of the website. And BTW she is not Argentine. So I was able to put another nationality. It was for Banco Nacion.

I actually stopped and talked to a policeman yesterday about the WU situation. I told him I needed the money for medicine...showed my bottles. He said look around the neighborhood of WU. I told him they were closed or didn't have enough money. I told him I need to go to 825 Montevideo. He said don't walk

A friend went to the post office this morning...

The main post office is closed until the around the 15th of April.
The local post offices will honor WU cash transfers, if they have the cash
The maximum amount is 25,000 pesos

The maximum amount is 25,000 pesos
Thank you for the post...very useful information.
I actually stopped and talked to a policeman yesterday about the WU situation. I told him I needed the money for medicine...showed my bottles. He said look around the neighborhood of WU. I told him they were closed or didn't have enough money. I told him I need to go to 825 Montevideo. He said don't walk.

The policeman is wrong. Going to a pharmacy is a valid reason. In the future I suggest you don't stop of your own volition to chat with any policeman.

The maximum amount is 25,000 pesos AND ONE MORE THING....ONLY BETWEEN 9 AM AND 11 AM !!!

Shouldn't people just be using their credit card for the interim instead of walking all over the place potentially spreading the virus?

I'm sorry I don't get it...

Just checking the Dolar CDO C/LIQ page. Peso has dropped to near 88. And quoting compare/venta in the 84 range. WU is still offering 91.59 right now. If you're willing to risk it for a biscuit, and pick up pesos when WU re-opens here again.
Western Union Wheel of Fortune

Shouldn't people just be using their credit card for the interim instead of walking all over the place potentially spreading the virus?

...and/or also getting it.

Using a foreign credit or debit card to buy needed medications makes the most sense to me, regardless of the exchange rate.

If the pharmacies won´t accept foreign credit or debit cards (I haven´t heard they won´t), an ATM is probably the next best option, though certainly undesirable at thgis time (and obviously not just because of the exchange rate).

If the ATM´s are being maintained as promised, at least expats without Argentine bank accounts can use their debit card to get (hopefully enough) cash to buy the medicine (as well as pay for other things) they need to survive.

Hopefully, none of those expats (who had no other debit cards) didn´t follow the advice to "tear up their Charles Schwab debit cards" a few months ago, believing Western Union would always be the best choice.

I am truly very sorry any expats are experiencing this problem, including one with health issues who I stronly warned in late January not to come to Argentina because of the coronavirus.

Just checking the Dolar CDO C/LIQ page. Peso has dropped to near 88. And quoting compare/venta in the 84 range. WU is still offering 91.59 right now. If you're willing to risk it for a biscuit, and pick up pesos when WU re-opens here again.
Western Union Wheel of Fortune
I wonder for what period of time does WU hold on to the cash pick up transfer while the recipient has not retrieved the funds?

Back