Western Union money transfer

When you created your WU account, did you use a VPN with your USA address? Do you know if you were to use your saving or checking bank account number instead of your debit card, would there be a transfer fee?
When I set up the account I used my US addresss (which matches the billing address for my Charles Schwab debit card), and I did not use a VPN.

I did not provide my bank account number. If I had, I could make transfers with no fee, but I prefer using the debit card as the funds arrive four days sooner.

When you set up an account (or at least before you make your third transfer) be sure to enter a phone number from which you can call WU to answer some security questions if and when they want to verrify your identity.

I used my Argentine cell phone number when setting up the account and I have not changed it since.

PS: Do not use a Skype "calls in" only number!

Last edited:
A friend processed a transfer to herself through XOOM this week. She went to MORE MONEY on Libertad and the place was closed, so she is stuck without cash for her rent. I would be in the same situation if I hadn't opened a local bank account last year.
Just posting so that those who pick up their cash transfers are aware that these agents are closed for business.
Currently Correo Argentino is the only WU outlet open. Another forum member reported that the maximum per transfer for pick up cash at any of their branches is AR$25,000. The deal is that in any given day, their offices can only pay out in pesos as much as they collect daily from regular postal activities.

And as far as Gracielle is reporting....I would like to hear for anyone who has picked up money at a receiving office here in B.A. since this whole lockdown has started....Whatever company sending. Western Union, Xoom or any other. I talked to Ria and they are not sending to Argentina despite what the website may say. (throughout these discussions I have seen many references to transfers to banks...but none to actually picking up money) Thanks

And as far as Gracielle is reporting....I would like to hear for anyone who has picked up money at a receiving office here in B.A....but none to actually picking up money) Thanks
I suggest you pick up the torch. Send yourself a test transfer. Go to the nearest Correo Arg/WU office for cash pick up. And inform the rest of us on the outcome.

Last edited:
Test case....I have money waiting for me from a day before the lock down. Unfortunately the amount is $700 US.....so that one is dead. I tried to send myself $200 yesterday, the money was debited from my account....and WU denied the transfer. I called and they said things like I 'could not do anything, send or receive!) They gave me an email address to try and resolve the problem...... Next I am going to have my brother send me a small amount. Yes...I AM picking up the torch...and getting burned so far. And again....no one seems able to get a cash delivery. I will post results!

Test case....I have money waiting for me from a day before the lock down. Unfortunately the amount is $700 US.....so that one is dead. I tried to send myself $200 yesterday, the money was debited from my account....and WU denied the transfer. I called and they said things like I 'could not do anything, send or receive!) They gave me an email address to try and resolve the problem...... Next I am going to have my brother send me a small amount. Yes...I AM picking up the torch...and getting burned so far. And again....no one seems able to get a cash delivery. I will post results!
And one more thought....I have a theory, just a theory, that sending money to oneself sets off their compliance bells...and maybe it is better to have someone else send the money.

How do I Cancel a Money Transfer....

And one more thought....I have a theory, just a theory, that sending money to oneself sets off their compliance bells...and maybe it is better to have someone else send the money.
It may also be that the amount of US$700 set off the WU compliance bells regardless of who is the sender?

Back