Western Union money transfer

Does anyone know if it’s possible to collect pesos at any western union at this moment? We heard from several people that they are open since last week. Today went to 2 pago facil - western union locations here in Palermo Hollywood, but one was closed and the other one said it wasn’t possible there.

Yes - WU Palermo on Armenia. Go early as they run out of cash and try to keep it less than 50k to improve your chances. Also correos on Santa Fe works but this week they ran out of cash and have a limit of 30k.

make sure you passport (or DNI, bonus day!) corresponds to the day you go to a WU office. Correos doesn’t matter what day it is.

Sorry as I think this has already been posted, but couldn't find it when I scrolled through. My ID ends in "6"- I've been told different days by 2 WU employees. 1 told me Wednesday and the other told me Thursday. Does anyone know the true day? Thank you in advance. Lorianne

Does anyone know if it’s possible to collect pesos at any western union at this moment? We heard from several people that they are open since last week. Today went to 2 pago facil - western union locations here in Palermo Hollywood, but one was closed and the other one said it wasn’t possible there.
PagoFacil inside Jumbo stores is paying WU cash transfers if the location has the funds at the time of your request. Yesterday, at the Jumbo in Caballito persons were waiting outside the store in the dedicated line to pay bills and/or collect transfers starting at 9:00am. None of them at this store were asked for the ending number of their DNI (or passport) before being allowed to enter and proceed directly to the kiosk. They do require a copy of the main page of the passport as this location does not have a scanner.

Last edited:
Sorry as I think this has already been posted, but couldn't find it when I scrolled through. My ID ends in "6"- I've been told different days by 2 WU employees. 1 told me Wednesday and the other told me Thursday. Does anyone know the true day? Thank you in advance. Lorianne
DNI or passport ending in "6" on Wednesdays.

DNI or passport ending in "6" on Wednesdays.
But isn't it just like that for this week as Friday is a holiday and there therefore there are three numbers on Wednesday and Thursday? As I understand it it's 0/1 Mon, 2/3 Tue,4/5 Wed, 6/7 Thur, 8/9 Fr

This is my latest transfer experience:
I wired myself money from my bank account in the USA to where I live here in CABA. I used PAYPAL , who sent the wire to his associate here, the chain of MORE GIROS. Their offices in downtown were closed,but I found three open branches in LINIERS.
They paid almost 98 pesos per dolar, plus the transfer cost of one dolar per 50 dolars of the tranfer (0.025 %).
But I got the money the same day, no problem. They do not give you green dolars, though.

They paid almost 98 pesos per dolar, plus the transfer cost of one dolar per 50 dolars of the tranfer (0.025 %).

0.025% is not correct from the numbers you gave. 1 dollar per 50 dollars is 1/50, which is 2% (also represented without the percent symbol as 0.02).

Has anyone gone to any of the big WUs, like Montevideo and Cordoba, to pick up a large transfer? Like $1,000 or $2,000 (which would be around 110,000 pesos or 220,000 pesos at today's rate).

Hi all. I'm curious about how you are all doing the western union (or Xoom) transfer without incurring the government tax (dolar solidario) of 30% that they implemented at the beginning of the year.

I asked xoom and they said that although the transfer at $98/dollar it will be transferring into my Santander Rio account in pesos. So wont the bank automatically charge that 30% leaving me with about %70/dollar?

Could use any suggestions. I have bank accounts both here and in the US. I have dual citizenship. Thanks

Hi all. I'm curious about how you are all doing the western union (or Xoom) transfer without incurring the government tax (dolar solidario) of 30% that they implemented at the beginning of the year.

Impuesto PAIS is applied when you are BUYING dollars. If you send dollars and get pesos here, you are definitely not buying dollars.

Back