Western Union money transfer

Does anyone have recent experience on receiving pesos via Western Union, delivered into an Argentina bank account? In particular, if there are any paperwork requirements, delays in deposit or fees levied by the receiving Argentina bank.

Does anyone have recent experience on receiving pesos via Western Union, delivered into an Argentina bank account? In particular, if there are any paperwork requirements, delays in deposit or fees levied by the receiving Argentina bank.
So I just transferred to my wife's account and it went fine. After the 5 days they asked her to make an account and told her it would be fine from now on. No additional paperwork...but this was only for $500 USD

So I just transferred to my wife's account and it went fine. After the 5 days they asked her to make an account and told her it would be fine from now on. No additional paperwork...but this was only for $500 USD
What was it that took 5 days? She did not have an account before? No additional paperwork, but did she have to file the six page document including Concept with the bank?

What was it that took 5 days? She did not have an account before? No additional paperwork, but did she have to file the six page document including Concept with the bank?
It was 5 days from when I sent it to when it was supposed to arrive in her bank account here. On that 5th day she got an email asking her to make a Western Union account...I Dont think they was any additional paperwork.

In the "old days" with Xoom and More Money we used to have to fill out paperwork almost every time declaring the source of the funds, our relationship, etc. This was nothing like that.

It was 5 days from when I sent it to when it was supposed to arrive in her bank account here. On that 5th day she got an email asking her to make a Western Union account...I Dont think they was any additional paperwork.

In the "old days" with Xoom and More Money we used to have to fill out paperwork almost every time declaring the source of the funds, our relationship, etc. This was nothing like that.
So instead of the money going into her bank account here, it went into a Western Union account of some kind here in Argentina? How / where was she able to access the money?

So instead of the money going into her bank account here, it went into a Western Union account of some kind here in Argentina? How / where was she able to access the money?
Creating an "account" with Western Union does not mean it becomes the destination of the funds. It just means that the recipient has created an account (aka registered) on line with Western Union which will then have their data.

Apparently this is required when the funds are to be deposited in the Argentine bank account of the recipient

I have a western union update as I had to send a small amount down today. When I sent it down I noticed the rate of 74.50 is good for in store and online now . The catch is the transfer fees. In store for 999 U.S is 9 for a rate of 73.83 Debit card 50 for a rate of 70.94 Credit card 77 for a takehome rate of 69.23 So if anyone wanted a large sum this might be better than what you are getting down there but remember you have to carry it back home . Watch out for the motochorros!!

I have a western union update as I had to send a small amount down today. When I sent it down I noticed the rate of 74.50 is good for in store and online now . The catch is the transfer fees. In store for 999 U.S is 9 for a rate of 73.83 Debit card 50 for a rate of 70.94 Credit card 77 for a takehome rate of 69.23 So if anyone wanted a large sum this might be better than what you are getting down there but remember you have to carry it back home . Watch out for the motochorros!!
I was on Western Union all day trying to make this transfer. Yes for some reason the WU page was showing the high rate of 73.83 and 71+ BUT there were technical errors every way I tried and their lame tech service could not offer a fix. They were offering a Promo Coupon of 50% of the quoted rate. But finally could not push it through under any circumstance. Western Union so far to me looks like a game show "Wheel of Fortune".

I was on Western Union all day trying to make this transfer. Yes for some reason the WU page was showing the high rate of 73.83 and 71+ BUT there were technical errors every way I tried and their lame tech service could not offer a fix. They were offering a Promo Coupon of 50% of the quoted rate. But finally could not push it through under any circumstance. Western Union so far to me looks like a game show "Wheel of Fortune".
Did you mean they were offering promo coupon of 50% off of the quoted fee (as opposed to rate)?

On Tuesday morning it took five minutes to set up a transfer on line for $950 USD at the rate of $75,01 to one. Later in the day my sister in law paid a total of $959 in cash at a WU agency in Illinois. The funds ($71.250 ARS) were available in minutes.

Yesterday at noon I drove to Bahia Blanca and picked up the money.

There was a five minute wait in line to tell the employee at one f the windows that I was picking up a transfer and then another five minute wait ti be admitted to the more secure area to receive the funds.

It took about five minutes for the employee to make a phone call to override the system because my mother's maiden name was not included in the transfer details (and should not have been as it isn't on my DNI).

It took five minutes to walk to the bank (without having to look over my shoulder).

It took five minutes to wait for a teller window where I could pay off my credit card (as I do monthly) and deposit most of the remaining balance.

PS: High fives for Western Union!

Last edited:
Back