Western Union money transfer

I just called WU and they told me basically what Delorean had found out yesterday: the only WU branches that are open are those in Walmart, Carrefour and Changomas stores. I don't think all Carrefours have WU but I was told that those that do are open. All those at Walmart and Changomas are open too. I didn't ask about the hours.

This just received from HSBC Argentina, 25 March 2020 @ 10:30 a.m.. I had asked my bank rep about bank transfers going to the Peso account (not U$). As last year they had gone through directly, deposited to the peso account, no requirements for paperwork. Her reply may be helpful regards WU bank to bank transfers:
"I managed to contact a representative of the Comex sector and they tell me that at the moment everything is stopped requesting transfers from and to abroad. As soon as they have a news about it, I will be contacting them, but for the moment, clients cannot deliver transfer order forms, so they cannot enter their foreign currencies.
Regarding the previous consultation, I was informed that many clients made the order as you well detail, but the same was before the new provisions of the BCRA, at that time the form was not strictly necessary for you to enter the money, for what could come that way. With the new provisions of the Central Bank, I do not think that this methodology will work again, or that is what they informed me.
As reported by the Government, tomorrow the Bank Clearing sector will be reactivated, so my best advice is to wait to see if they take measures regarding transfers from abroad."

I just called WU and they told me basically what Delorean had found out yesterday: the only WU branches that are open are those in Walmart, Carrefour and Changomas stores. I don't think all Carrefours have WU but I was told that those that do are open. All those at Walmart and Changomas are open too. I didn't ask about the hours.
Are there some street addresses of these WU offices you can add to your post?

Has anyone used WU to transfer GBP ie money coming from the UK? I haven't had any success so if anyone (who has done specifically that) is willing to advise me I'd appreciate it
I've made lots of transfers from the UK, but I always get someone else to transfer the money for me. I'm not sure whether you can transfer money to yourself if that's what you want to do because I haven't tried it.

The person making the transfer can pay via bank account, debit card, etc, via the website. But as far as I'm aware you can only pick it up in cash, there's no option to receive the money in a bank account here when sending pounds.

Are there some street addresses of these WU offices you can add to your post?
I just called WU again and this time the operator told me some of the branches within "centros comerciales" (as Delorean had been told yesterday) might be open but that she did not have knowledge (a list) of which ones within which centros comerciales. I asked her to confirm that branches within Carrefour stores, Walmarts and Changomas were also open and she said that was correct. I don't know why she didn't mention those three earlier in our conversation. Maybe for her those are "centros comerciales." Who knows. I went to the WU website and asked it to show me branches in Carrefour stores that were open at that time and the only one that came up is one in a Carrefour in Coghlan, on Calle Monroe 1655, but there is a warning sign there saying that the hours of this branch may have changed due to CV19. When on the website I "asked" about branches in Walmarts and Changomas that were open, nothing came up. Good luck!

This morning Buzz went to Carrefour in Belgrano. That WU outlet was closed. Ditto for me at Disco and Jumbo in Caballito.

I went to Correo Argentino in Caballito where I spoke to a well-informed postal employee. They can pay out WU transfers in cash but it depends on the amount of pesos they collect daily from regular postal activities. The procedure is different from regular WU outlets. Same type of ID required but must first fill out a legal-size form in triplicate every time a transfer is paid out. For now they are open M-F from 11:00-7:00pm. The first 2 hours are reserved for seniors.

WU Agent Locator
1. Enter country.....Argentina
2. Address of recipient
3. I want to: .....

A menu will appear showing all the agents near the recipient's address + their individual hours of operation + ARG WU 0800 number.
Hours of local number: 5293 5555....9:00am-6:00pm
Don't trust the information on the WU Agent Locator site. I walked to 12 of the locations listed for Caballito which were supposed to be open. They were all closed except Correo Argentino.

WU 1.00 USD = 91.59 Argentine Peso at 2:30pm
CCL $ 88,55 2 hours ago
BLUE $80,50 - $85,50 2 hours ago

WU 1.00 USD = 91.59 Argentine Peso at 2:30pm
CCL $ 88,55 2 hours ago
BLUE $80,50 - $85,50 2 hours ago
Gracielle....I also went searching today and what I was told by phone was useless. Can I get money at Correo Argentina (Western Union)....and which one did you go to???? Thanks

Gracielle....I also went searching today and what I was told by phone was useless. Can I get money at Correo Argentina (Western Union)....and which one did you go to???? Thanks
I went to the one in Caballito. On any given day, that office can only handle paying out SMALL WU transfers. It depends on the amount of pesos they collect daily from regular postal activities. How much can that be for a neighborhood branch?

I suggest you inquire at the Correo Argentino branch near your location:
SUCURSAL: ABASTO
AVENIDA CORRIENTES N° 3702

Back