Western Union money transfer

When I set up the account I used my US addresss (which matches the billing address for my Charles Schwab debit card), and I did not use a VPN.

I did not provide my bank account number. If I had, I could make transfers with no fee, but I prefer using the debit card as the funds arrive four days sooner.

When you set up an account (or at least before you make your third transfer) be sure to enter a phone number from which you can call WU to answer some security questions if and when they want to verrify your identity.

I used my Argentine cell phone number when setting up the account and I have not changed it since.

PS: Do not use a Skype "calls in" only number!

Thanks for the info. Do you use your Argentine address or USA address when you fill in the address information of the receiver?

Thank you for this information

Por su parte, los clientes que hayan recibido una remesa a través de Western Union desde cualquier país del exterior y posean una cuenta bancaria en la Argentina podrán solicitar el depósito de los fondos en su cuenta sin costo alguno, según aclaró la empresa.

I think you need to call local WU 800 number and request money from your first transfer to be deposited to your bank account.

Thanks for the info. Do you use your Argentine address or USA address when you fill in the address information of the receiver?

I used my Argentine address (which appears on my DNI).

PS: I also used my Argentine DNI and/or CUIT (whichever they asked for if not both) as the ID for the receiver.

Last edited:

Here´s a google translation of the article:

"How can you send money to someone who does not have a bank account

It is a type of transfer that allows the recipient to withdraw cash from an ATM without being a customer. The option was published on the page of the Ministry of Economy

The shipment is made through homebanking or ATMs and the recipient receives a code that allows them to withdraw cash

One of the complications that arose as a result of the preventive and mandatory measure of social isolation is finding a way to send money to people who do not have a debit card or bank account. Some way to replace some regular service payments that until now were made directly in cash or alternatives to send money to family and friends.

From the Government, through the page of the Ministry of Economy, they offered as an alternative for these shipments the modality of "Extraction Order" (ODE). This form of transfer works in two ways:

Through homebanking

To send money to someone who does not have a bank account through homebanking, you must choose the accounts option. Then, select the “Extraction / Generation Order” or “Cash Point” / Generation tab (depending on the bank). And complete with the recipient's details, the amount to be transferred and the source account of the funds.

To confirm the operation, you must enter the key granted by Token and, finally, you receive a 6-digit operation code. This code is what has to be sent to the recipient, who will be able to withdraw the cash by entering it at an ATM enabled with the Cash Point option.

To find out which ATMs with Punto Efectivo, you can search on the banks' website or on the Cajeropuntoefectivo website.

From an ATM or self-service terminal

In this case, you must enter the "Cash Point" option and select "Payment Order Request". Fill in the recipient's details and the amount to transfer. Enter the three letter alphabetical key. Once done, a 6-digit code is received.

That 6-digit code is the one that must be passed to the recipient, along with the exact amount of the transfer and the address of the ATM closest to your home.

How to collect cash

People who receive a withdrawal order, must go to the ATM indicated by the person sending the money or look for an ATM in the area, which is enabled with Punto Efectivo.

On the main screen, you have to select the "Start" option and then press "Extraction Order". Enter the DNI and the exact amount of what was transferred. Finally, you must write the 6-digit code that was sent and, finally, the money is withdrawn.

Shipments to and from abroad

For their part, the companies Western Union and Pago Fácil clarified how their operations and customer service are working for the sending and collection of remittances, within the framework of the isolation measures ordered by the national government for the coronavirus pandemic.

Western Union services are enabled through the application to send money paid by bank transfer. The money may be received at destination both in cash and in bank accounts. And also in the offices of Correo Argentino both to send and receive remittances.

For their part, customers who have received a remittance through Western Union from any country abroad and have a bank account in Argentina may request the deposit of funds in their account at no cost, according to the company.

In the case of people who are stranded abroad and need to receive money, the company recommends that they contact the call center of each country to find out the open locations and their hours of operation."

Last edited:
People who receive a withdrawal order, must go to the ATM indicated by the person sending the money or look for an ATM in the area, which is enabled with Punto Efectivo.

On the main screen, you have to select the "Start" option and then press "Extraction Order". Enter the DNI and the exact amount of what was transferred. Finally, you must write the 6-digit code that was sent and, finally, the money is withdrawn.

Since there is no mention of using a passport number, I have a very strong suspicion that withdrawal of funds sent via Wesstern Union at an ATM will only be posssible for those who have an Argentine DNI and that foreignerss without one will still have to pick up the funds in person.

Test case....I have money waiting for me from a day before the lock down. Unfortunately the amount is $700 US.....so that one is dead. I tried to send myself $200 yesterday, the money was debited from my account....and WU denied the transfer.

I called and they said things like I 'could not do anything, send or receive!)

Next I am going to have my brother send me a small amount. Yes...I AM picking up the torch...and getting burned so far. And again....no one seems able to get a cash delivery. I will post results!

How many Western Union transfers in total have you made?

Have you completed the online registration form (as the reciever) with Rapipago?

Not having done so could be the cause the $200 transfer was denied, and you cannot send or receive at this point, as it must be completed (without any errors as I learned from experience) before the third transfer can be completed.

If so, any transfer your brother makes will probably also be "denied"

And one more thought....I have a theory, just a theory, that sending money to oneself sets off their compliance bells...and maybe it is better to have someone else send the money.

I don´t think the compliance problem would be based on the fact that you are sending money to yourself. I haven´t had any problem doing so since I corrected an error I made when entering my adddress in the online registration form with Rapipago (after the first transfeer made by my sister-in-law last November). That caused a delay of about five days for my third transfer (the first from myslef to myself) to be completed.

Since then, my transfers (all from my US bank accont using my debit card to my Argentine savings account) have been completed in less than three days, including the two I made this month, each for $480.

It may also be that the amount of US$700 set off the WU compliance bells regardless of who is the sender?

I think that is highly unlikely.

This morning I sent myself a test transfer for US$100 = AR$8730 using my US debit card.
I went to Correo Argentino in Caballito at 12:30am. I waited in line for 15 min...and was out in 30 min.
1. filled out the long form in triplicate (bring a black ballpoint pen).
2. if you are unsure how to answer a question, leave the space blank and ask the clerk.
3. clerk took a copy of the main page of my passport and counted out the AR$500 + $100 bills.
4. I asked for a blank copy of the form to use next time.

The clerk told me I was the last person to be paid out today as they had already ran out of cash destined for WU!

Last edited:
This morning I sent myself a test transfer for US$100 = AR$8730 using my US debit card.
I went to Correo Argentino in Caballito at 12:30am. I waited in line for 15 min...and was out in 30 min.
1. filled out the long form in triplicate (bring a black ballpoint pen).
2. if you are unsure how to answer a question, leave the space blank and ask the clerk.
3. clerk took a copy of the main page of my passport and counted out the AR$500 + $100 bills.
4. I asked for a blank copy of the form to use next time.

The clerk told me I was the last person to be paid out today as they had already ran out of cash destined for WU!
Thank you ...very complete information! (12:30 PM ?)

Back