Western Union money transfer

Graciela, can you tell me where the branch in Caballito Is that was paying out WU?
There is no need to trek over to Caballito. Look up the closest branch near where you reside as steveinbsas and artisans just posted.

I finally got it!!! Thanks everyone. As an fyi, I was in Tucumán a couple of years back and the post office guy wouldn't accept my passport, instead, with the subtlest sly smile he pointed at the space on the form for a DNI and shrugged. Another woman who was pretty awefull over in recoleta tried to tell me the same thing.

People can be so nasty!

For anyone who needs good service, the post office on Pueyrredón and Santa Fe Is super nice and has tons of people collecting WU from abroad.

I finally got it!!! Thanks everyone. As an fyi, I was in Tucumán a couple of years back and the post office guy wouldn't accept my passport, instead, with the subtlest sly smile he pointed at the space on the form for a DNI and shrugged. Another woman who was pretty awefull over in recoleta tried to tell me the same thing. People can be so nasty!
For anyone who needs good service, the post office on Pueyrredón and Santa Fe Is super nice and has tons of people collecting WU from abroad.
Thank you Andrew Murphy, that's good news about Correo Argentina WU @ Pueyrredon / Santa Fe!

......As an fyi, I was in Tucumán a couple of years back and the post office guy wouldn't accept my passport, instead, with the subtlest sly smile he pointed at the space on the form for a DNI and shrugged. Another woman who was pretty awefull over in recoleta tried to tell me the same thing.
I am glad you obtained the funds without a fuss.
FYI....if your foreign passport states that you were born in Argentina, technically the answer is YES. The postal clerk can require you to enter your DNI number in the form you were asked to complete and sign before he/she authorizes the disbursement of funds. The form is a Declaracion Jurada which legally by your signature it gets the clerk off the hook.

Last edited:
Another mind bending episode with WU. Decided to test the transferring of cash from US debit card pay on line to receive as deposit in bank account in ARG. Set up receiver info with: nationality Argentina, bank account CBU number, address Argentina, CUIT, a different e-mail address than the sender. Got the red line error 'check your receiver's bank account information/number'. Would not go through. Went to WU Chat Help. Got an agent who was on the ball.Told me this could only be done by paying in store. Then could not be done using US website, must register with Argentina website app. Explained I was sender from US bank account to myself Argentina bank account - "cannot be done". "Sorry, hope it's better in future". Closed everything,I then went back to my US WU account online - created another receiver, myself, with a middle name + all the prior info. IT WORKED! Now transferring a test amount of US HSBC U$100 to HSBC Arg - 0 to 4 days transfer time. This is not the first time I've had such a reversal - 1st can't do it, WU help can't do it, try again - it works.
One thing for sure - WU Customer Service is usually useless or wrong. If there's a moral to the story, with WU, don't give up, keep banging away.

Another mind bending episode with WU. Decided to test the transferring of cash from US debit card pay on line to receive as deposit in bank account in ARG. Set up receiver info with: nationality Argentina, bank account CBU number, address Argentina, CUIT, a different e-mail address than the sender. Got the red line error 'check your receiver's bank account information/number'. Would not go through. Went to WU Chat Help. Got an agent who was on the ball.Told me this could only be done by paying in store. Then could not be done using US website, must register with Argentina website app. Explained I was sender from US bank account to myself Argentina bank account - "cannot be done". "Sorry, hope it's better in future". Closed everything,I then went back to my US WU account online - created another receiver, myself, with a middle name + all the prior info. IT WORKED! Now transferring a test amount of US HSBC U$100 to HSBC Arg - 0 to 4 days transfer time. This is not the first time I've had such a reversal - 1st can't do it, WU help can't do it, try again - it works.
One thing for sure - WU Customer Service is usually useless or wrong. If there's a moral to the story, with WU, don't give up, keep banging away.
After trying to send money to myself for pickup, which was refused by WU even after the payment was taken from my bank account, WU told me that I could not send nor receive anything via WU. Next day my brother sent the money.

Where did you hear that the banks will re-open on March 30th?
UPDATE....
The banks will re-open to provide counter service only to a restricted group of customers but not on March 30th.
30 March 2020
This Friday the banks that pay pensions are going to open branches and payment centers so that those who do not have a debit card or are expired can cash their benefits. These entities will continue to open their doors every day until the payment schedule for retirees and pensioners is completed in April. It is within the framework of the measures that the Government is studying and they are announced within the new quarantine for the arrival of the coronavirus in Argentina. The news was confirmed on Monday night through a statement from the banking union. The text informs that branches will only be opened to pay social security benefits.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone - first, thanks for this thread, lots of good information here. We are trying to get money in to Argentina to help some relatives. We initiated a WU transfer on Friday to my sister in laws bank account - still waiting for confirmation and fingers crossed. However, wondering if anyone has any guidance on whether there is a max amount either allowed, or by implication (in other words, an implied limit below WU’s max amount, where people are finding problems with the transfers above such implied limit)? I notice that WU has significantly increased their transfer fees, so doing a large one vs several smaller ones is important.

Hi Everyone - first, thanks for this thread, lots of good information here. We are trying to get money in to Argentina to help some relatives. We initiated a WU transfer on Friday to my sister in laws bank account - still waiting for confirmation and fingers crossed. However, wondering if anyone has any guidance on whether there is a max amount either allowed, or by implication (in other words, an implied limit below WU’s max amount, where people are finding problems with the transfers above such implied limit)? I notice that WU has significantly increased their transfer fees, so doing a large one vs several smaller ones is important.

I had recently (successfully) completed a transaction from my US bank account to my Argentine one. I believe that I remember having read that the maximum amount per month per recipient is AR$239,000. I am also quite certain that I had read that a recipient is permitted a maximum of 3 transactions for every 90 days, or else s/he may require additional verification.

Back