Western Union money transfer

Hi Everyone - first, thanks for this thread, lots of good information here. We are trying to get money in to Argentina to help some relatives. We initiated a WU transfer on Friday to my sister in laws bank account - still waiting for confirmation and fingers crossed. However, wondering if anyone has any guidance on whether there is a max amount either allowed, or by implication (in other words, an implied limit below WU’s max amount, where people are finding problems with the transfers above such implied limit)? I notice that WU has significantly increased their transfer fees, so doing a large one vs several smaller ones is important.

If you do a bank to bank transfer there is no fee. I was told several times at my usual Western Union office that the maximum monthly in-store pickup amount was around 300,000 to 320,000 peso per calendar month. You can receive money on the last day of the month , March 31, and the next day a new month begins. Each branch of Western Union and each employee may go by different rules. My usual pick up office would not pay me the last time I was there because my name did not appear exactly by the rules. I went to another location two blocks away and the woman counted out the money before even asking for my I.D. Also some Argentine banks have restrictions on how much you can receive. Expect things to change frequently and with little or no notice. By the way, I initiated my first bank to bank transfer last Friday and the funds were in my account this morning.

This morning I picked up another cash transfer at my branch of Correo ARG. The clerk informed me that this website
supposedly shows the updated hours for each branch. It certainly did for my branch.
Scroll down to addresses in CAPITAL FEDERAL.....

This morning I picked up another cash transfer at my branch of Correo ARG. The clerk informed me that this website
supposedly shows the updated hours for each branch. It certainly did for my branch.
Scroll down to addresses in CAPITAL FEDERAL.....
Gracielle, was this another transfer for pick up at or under the 25,000 pesos you've mentioned previously?

Gracielle, was this another transfer for pick up at or under the 25,000 pesos you've mentioned previously?
YES...this time it was for $8700 pesos. While I was completing my transaction I overhead another clerk say that the maximum amount may have increased to $35,000 pesos. That may well be as Correo ARG handles WU cash payouts to ANSES beneficiaries who don't have bank accounts.
This Friday begins the payments of jubilaciones, AUH + the one-time extra bonus of $10,000 pesos which may be the reason for the increase.

Last edited:
Wow,
Another mind bending episode with WU. Decided to test the transferring of cash from US debit card pay on line to receive as deposit in bank account in ARG. Set up receiver info with: nationality Argentina, bank account CBU number, address Argentina, CUIT, a different e-mail address than the sender. Got the red line error 'check your receiver's bank account information/number'. Would not go through. Went to WU Chat Help. Got an agent who was on the ball.Told me this could only be done by paying in store. Then could not be done using US website, must register with Argentina website app. Explained I was sender from US bank account to myself Argentina bank account - "cannot be done". "Sorry, hope it's better in future". Closed everything,I then went back to my US WU account online - created another receiver, myself, with a middle name + all the prior info. IT WORKED! Now transferring a test amount of US HSBC U$100 to HSBC Arg - 0 to 4 days transfer time. This is not the first time I've had such a reversal - 1st can't do it, WU help can't do it, try again - it works.
One thing for sure - WU Customer Service is usually useless or wrong. If there's a moral to the story, with WU, don't give up, keep banging away.
Wow! It worked. The test transfer of self sender to self receiver using Pay: US Debit card to Deposit: ARG bank account came through, and in the time WU predicted. Sent on Monday , received in Argentina account end of day Wednesday. No fees.
*The receiver of this transfer got an e-mail indicating the receiver might be required to complete a form before receiving the funds. There was a link to more information. But the link went to a page indicating the page was out of date. I read elsewhere WU is no longer requiring that form / doc.
Western Union 'Wheel of Fortune'

Wow,

Wow! It worked. The test transfer of self sender to self receiver using Pay: US Debit card to Deposit: ARG bank account came through, and in the time WU predicted. Sent on Monday , received in Argentina account end of day Wednesday. No fees.
*The receiver of this transfer got an e-mail indicating the receiver might be required to complete a form before receiving the funds. There was a link to more information. But the link went to a page indicating the page was out of date. I read elsewhere WU is no longer requiring that form / doc.
Western Union 'Wheel of Fortune'
....and again...I tried to send money from my account in the states to be picked up by me...here. A guess is that sending to oneself is not going to be accepted by WU, period.

....and again...I tried to send money from my account in the states to be picked up by me...here. A guess is that sending to oneself is not going to be accepted by WU, period.
I guess you are the ONLY person who is not able to receive WU transfers to oneself via cash, debit or bank account. The rest of us posting on this thread have not been encumbered by that issue.

Back