Western Union money transfer

so are we taking bets on when we cross 100?
I dont know if $94.57/USD rate will be maintained or improved during the weekend. Although CCL operates during business days, WU just increased the rate from $90.67 to $94.57 yesterday in the evening besides it had already reached on wednesday. dolarhoy.com shows a CCL decrease today, from $94.69 to $92.38, but I think their rates are not completely reliable because CCL shouldnt fluctuate during holidays.

i have been using transferwise to send money from my us account to my arg bank acc here in the mountains outside of cordoba argentina for quite some time now, .coasting along... growing vegetables. I see now that the exchange rate with transferwise today is 64.54 and you guys are telling me that i could get 94 with western union??? (sorry, i havent been reading the forum for several months until this quarantine) my thanks to all that have posted so much help to me for the 12 years i have been privileged to live in argentina. hopefully together we can figure out this crap to be able to coast along some more..

i have been using transferwise to send money from my us account to my arg bank acc here in the mountains outside of cordoba argentina for quite some time now, .coasting along... growing vegetables. I see now that the exchange rate with transferwise today is 64.54 and you guys are telling me that i could get 94 with western union??? (sorry, i havent been reading the forum for several months until this quarantine) my thanks to all that have posted so much help to me for the 12 years i have been privileged to live in argentina. hopefully together we can figure out this crap to be able to coast along some more..
Yes, transferwise sucks in argentina. Use western union.

Two questions:
  1. Do the post offices have special hours for jubilados?
  2. Is there any way to get a prepaid debit card for non-residents that you can add all your Western Union lucre?

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to transfer some money through WU from my account in the UK to a family member's bank account in Argentina.
Doing it in WU's android app, it gets to a point where they ask me to transfer the money from my bank account to WU's bank account in the UK so they can transfer it to Argentina. They give me all the details and ask me to put the same exact info. But when I'm filling it in, the reference it's too long, it doesn't fit... and they ask in particular that you put the reference exactly the same... has anyone had this problem when sending money to Argentina?

Thanks everyone
@d.gray maybe you encountered a similar issue?

Experts claim that the CCL value of 100 pesos per dollar is around the bock..?

Experts claim that the CCL value of 100 pesos per dollar is around the bock..?

Eventually yea. The CCL basically depends on the demand of businesses and investors to move money out of Argentina. So the "brecha" aka spread above the Official+30% aka "dolar turista" is just that. That demand depends of factors such as businesses' needs/obligations in pesos, investors ability to liquidate ARS dominated bonds, and the ARS monetary base (la maquinita -- the money press). Since obviously the BCRA has been printing cash like crazy over the past month -- the money supply is going up but then the demand for dollars is not necessarily exploding either since demand for imported goods and "ahorristas'" ability to "save" in dollars has been decimated, as everyone is basically trying to cover their basic needs and putting a few pesos aside to keep in USD is not a priority. Look at how low the "dolar blue" is. So to sum up, no one knows. In normal conditions the CCL would perforate 100 within weeks but these are unchartered territories, I suspect that at least in the short run, the demand for pesos will remain high and this will keep the CCL below 100. But it's anyone's guess.

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to transfer some money through WU from my account in the UK to a family member's bank account in Argentina.
Doing it in WU's android app, it gets to a point where they ask me to transfer the money from my bank account to WU's bank account in the UK so they can transfer it to Argentina. They give me all the details and ask me to put the same exact info. But when I'm filling it in, the reference it's too long, it doesn't fit... and they ask in particular that you put the reference exactly the same... has anyone had this problem when sending money to Argentina?

Thanks everyone
@d.gray maybe you encountered a similar issue?

It's nothing to worry about - I've just used the code and as much of the last name as possible with AR on the end. So 'EB1234567 Smith AR' or 'SmithAR' with no space if there's not enough room. It's gone through every time. You definitely don't need the full name, I think the number and the country code is the most important thing.

Out of curiosity you're saying you've managed to send from a UK account to an Argentinian bank account directly? The app has always stoped me from being able to send directly to an account with an error or saying that the receiver 'requires a nationality', can you shed any light on it for me? Or did you encounter no other problems?

Back