Western Union money transfer

is it...necessary? I've been here for over a year without problem.

You may only know the answer when you go to another WU location to pick up your next transfer or when another member reports they have been told the same thing.

Although you are not "guilty" of an "overstay" of a "tourist visa" at this point thanks to the "time freeze" on your 90 day visa, I wonder if being in Argentina for more than a year has triggered some kind of requirement for WU to comply with AFIP's regulations in order to identify potential taxpayers. If that's the case, others who have been here for less than a year might not yet be required to provide a CDI.

Last edited:
Hey folks. picked up my western union transfer today and was told that i wouldn't be able to do another transfer without a CDI. Does anyone know what that is or how to get one? Neither I nor my argentine girlfriend have ever even heard of it.
How to obtain the Identification Code - CDI?
The Identification Code (CDI) has a temporary validity, since it is delivered for the exclusive performance of some procedure or for a certain period of validity. This Identification Number can be requested by individuals and by undivided estates only in cases where they do not have CUIT or CUIL, and are in need of opening a bank account, carrying out some type of financial operation or acquiring assets that imply their mandatory registration in official entities.

For foreigners who are not residents, the presentation of a valid and legal passport is sufficient.

Complete and submit Form 663, in duplicate, at the AFIP office that corresponds to the address of the person requesting the CDI.
Present the documents that correspond to each situation and that we have previously indicated in the required documents section, with an original and a copy. The AFIP will verify all the documentation that is attached and
will give you a sealed copy of the approved form and with the Identification Code (CDI) granted by said procedure. This is a free procedure and the CDI is temporary.

Form to fill out:

AFIP - to do inquiries by phone call 0810-999-2347 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The Identification Code (CDI) has a temporary validity, since it is delivered for the exclusive performance of some procedure or for a certain period of validity. This Identification Number can be requested by individuals and by undivided estates only in cases where they do not have CUIT or CUIL, and are in need of opening a bank account, carrying out some type of financial operation or acquiring assets that imply their mandatory registration in official entities.

So, this means one has to be registered with AFIP to make a single transfer of funds from abroad (at least after a year)?

The AFIP will verify all the documentation that is attached and will give you a sealed copy of the approved form and with the Identification Code (CDI) granted by said procedure. This is a free procedure and the CDI is temporary.

The words "sealed copy" means you won't be able to use the same number for additional transfers if it must be presented when picking up the funds at a Western Union agency (even if they enter the number on the receipt)?

PS: If I remember correctly, my CDI was not in a sealed envelope and was vaild for 30 days. I only used it for one transaction: to transfer funds to buy an apartment. I had been in Argentina for less than six months and did not yet have a DNI or CUIT/CUIL.

Last edited:
Just put a number in the field and see what happens?
If WU is asking for a CDI in order to pick up the funds and the CDI is given to the foreiger in a sealed envelope, he/she (or the sender if it is another party) will not be able to enter it in any field when initiating the transfer.

I don't think it would be a good idea to try to use a false one, even if there is a field to enter it in online.

Perhaps BC2 could provide a legal opinion regarding the consequences of providing false information to an Argentine financial institution.

Instead of sending myself cash to pick up at Western Union I've been transferring cash (only around 150 USD a month) to my girlfriend's account but the last transaction was blocked by the bank. The bank's don't tell WU the reason for the refusal so I'm wondering if there is some sort of limit?

When I opened both of my bank accounts I was asked for "proof" of the funds I would be depositing monthly.

Even thought the monthly amount is small, your girlfriend's bank may require her to show the source of the funds and provide a "legal justification" for receiving them. Until then, they may have sufficient "reason" to suspect money laundering and continue to block the transfers

Hopefully, she will be able to provide an aceptable explaination and you will be able to resume making the transfers to her account. especially if you don't have a CUIL/CUIT and cannot transfer funds to yourself if WU really now requires the recipient to have at least the CDI.

Last edited:
So, this means one has to be registered with AFIP to make a single transfer of funds from abroad (at least after a year)?
Steve, I do not know the answer to your question as I have not done a WU transfer since October, 2019.
Iggysnacks is the first anecdotal case of this type to be posted on the WU thread. I assume he does not have a DNI.
My question....is he here on a tourist visa? Or does he have a precaria?

The words "sealed copy" means you won't be able to use the same number for additional transfers if it must be presented when picking up the funds at a Western Union agency (even if they enter the number on the receipt)?
I assume the CDI number will remain the same. It is the CDI certification that requires renewal every X number of days.

PS: If I remember correctly, my CDI was not in a sealed envelope and was vaild for 30 days. I only used it for one transaction: to transfer funds to buy an apartment. I had been in Argentina for less than six months and did not yet have a DNI or CUIT/CUIL.
Form 663...."sealed" means it must bear the AFIP stamp with the date of issue. I just looked at my CDI form which I obtained in 2005.

If WU is asking for a CDI in order to pick up the funds and the CDI is given to the foreiger in a sealed envelope, he/she (or the sender if it is another party) will not be able to enter it in any field when initiating the transfer.
Re: Form 663...."sealed" means it must bear the AFIP stamp with the date of issue. I just looked at my CDI form which I obtained in 2005.

Re: Form 663...."sealed" means it must bear the AFIP stamp with the date of issue. I just looked at my CDI form which I obtained in 2005.
Thanks, gracielle. Does your CDI form show an expiration date, and, if so, how long was it good for?

Also, was it for a "one time" transaction?

Back